• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Propose archery tag change.

I just sent this email to the DNR. Anyone want to join me in emailing the DNR?

I primarily bow hunt in a "lottery" area. It is my home area and my best "spot".

I also hunt the firearms season, but archery is my passion and what I get a chance to do most.

I understand that the archery season has little effect on the overall harvest numbers.

Most of the bowhunters that I visit with are similar to me; we would like to shoot a doe for meat and then wait for a big buck.

I would like to see an archery license come with a minimum of 2 tags, irregardless of the "area" being hunted. One buck tag and one anterless tag.

I especially like to take my 6 and 8 year old kids with me during archery season (when "doe" hunting).

Thank you.

If I joined you in emailing the DNR I would send in an opposing view point.

I traditionally firearm hunt in three zones each year. Zones 1, 2, and 4. My home area is a "lottery" area. I will be hunting archery for the first time this year.

I understand that "lottery" areas have far fewer deer than "managed" or "intensive" areas. In the lottery area I hunt, it has always been either my neighbor or I getting a buck, never both. Please keep the deer harvest for all hunters in "lottery" areas at one. If I feel I need to harvest more than one deer I will gladly hunt another area in the state with more deer.

Thank you.

Jameson,

The archery harvest is statistically a small percentage of the overall harvest. Allowing bowhunters 2 tags wouldn't change the deer numbers in lottery areas. Gun hunters effect deer numbers, not bowhunters.

Powerstroke,

No changes are being made to archery this year, yet.

I WISH that the DNR would allow 2 tags minimum for archery, statewide.

Hi Everyone,

Something to consider here is that the DNR has biologists working with the deer herd throughout the state. If a decision is going to be made on this, it will be made with the intention of what is best for the area. As far as I am concerned, I hunt with bow and rifle, allowing me 2 deer. As for bowhunting and getting two tags, well...good luck with that one, especially since there are so many opportunities for intensive/managed harvest permit areas out there.

As for harvest numbers, statistically, bowhunting is minimal in terms of the overall harvest, but 2 tags for bowhunting would change the numbers in lottery areas, just like it would in the other areas... Shoot a deer, it's no longer part of the herd... Simple math there.. Also, consider this, that second deer is guaranteed to be antlerless, so, you shoot off the does (how minimal that might just be) and you, in effect keep herd size down more. BUT in a lottery area where populations are lower, keeping those does there will allow the herd to maintain itself. That is why a lottery is in place.

I highly doubt you will see anything change in those lottery areas for bowhunting.

Steve

I understand your point about bow hunters not having near the impact on the deer population when compared to firearm season, but these lottery areas are not etched in stone. If the herd is managed properly these areas will become managed areas in the future.

Now looking at the zone map, zone 4 doesn't have a lot of options, but it still doesn't stop you from hunting in a managed area.

I think we should leave it how it is, the DNR like they said has biologists doing their work. I love to bowhunt but if the DNR did everything people wanted by emails and letters then the state would be a mess. Im not saying dont send you letter but you will get some respone saying thanks for your letter but NO.

I visited with the DNR's whitetail biologist last night at a meeting in Blue Earth. He thought my suggestion was good and since he is one of the main guys that determine doe permits, I think my suggestion is worth considering.

This is just like allowing a 3 rooster harvest next year and extending the season one more week into January. It would not hurt the population, but a lot of hunters "think" it would. So the proposed legislation was shot down.

Just thinking out loud....By allowing bowhunters to have two tags wouldn't that create more pressure before and after the gun seasons. As a bowhunter I like waking up in the morning going to stand and not seeing another guy in a tree a few hundred yards away. It's hard to say what would happen with a change like that. I think it would make alot of gun hunters mad...the classic, why can they have two tags and not us. "Great now my nice buck will be running around with arrows in him." I could see people saying to heck with the gun season (one tag) and going with bow because I get two tags. Sorry with the babbling.

Originally Posted By: snapcrackpop
...archery harvest is statistically a small percentage of the overall harvest...

Only a couple of years ago people were saying that Muzzleloader harvest was so minimal that the doe tags for all-season hunters ML hunting did not need to be included in the lottery. Last year all-season hunters hunting in the ML season needed to be drawn for a doe tag. Why the change? Muzzleloader harvest WAS minimal, then the DNR changed the rules(all-season tags), and harvest went up. Up to the point that the DNR needed to change the rules again.

Sure, archery harvest is minimal know. Change the rules, and no one can can be certain of the outcome.

If the archery season stays the same as last year, archers will still have the CHOICE of a doe or a buck in a lottery zone. Regular firearms hunters only had that choice if they were successful in the lottery drawing.

snapcrackpop, I can see your point, I was really bummed when they cut back on the All-season license, I had gotten used to shooting that early doe for the freezer and then still be able to go buck hunting in early Nov. Consequently I didn't even go out last year until Oct.

BUT even though I would like to be able to shoot two archery deer regardless of the type of zone, I don't think its fair to the gun hunters, and I think that we should let the biologists do their work, if the deer population in my zone (417) increases to the point where there are more deer, they'll make it into managed.

Its kind of like the rant 'move the gun hunt out of the rut'. As an archery hunter I'd LOVE to see that but that wouldn't be fair to the gun hunters, plus I'm afraid that they would shut down all deer hunting during that time, in the interest of fairness, and I wouldn't want to see that!!!!

Interesting topic though!!

Not gonna happen... I was at a meeting about a month or two ago at the Lac Qui Parle Headquartes pertaining to deer hunting. The big wigs from Minnesota's DNR main office and head hancho for big game in MN were there.. They made the point very clear that until they see some major changes in the lottery areas, two tags to a person is NOT going to happen, weather it be archery, firearms, or muzzle loader. LQP area is a lottery area.

Originally Posted By: grizzald
Not gonna happen...

I think that depends upon which zone you're in, what kind of habitat there is, and how the deer population is. There are always a few zones every year that change from lottery to managed and vice versa.

ac777, yeah they said they dont beleive it's going to make any difference in the total harvest amounts. My thought on it is that the deer had 5 days of no hunting pressure (besides archery) to breed and kind of "re-group" in betwwen weekends.. Now its gonna be 9 straight days of pressure during peak rut time... Not a good deal at all in my mind

So they are doing it. I think it will put less pressure on just 2 weekends, and spread it out, so that will help, but I also archery hunt and gun hunt.It will help somewhat for people who just gun hunt and will have a chance to get out more.

Good luck with the law change, I totally support it, and would love to have 2 tags with the bow lic.- maybe this is just me, but the reason I think the harvest numbers with a bow in lottery areas are so low is because many bowhunters like my self pass up on a bunch of does because I can only tag one deer in the lottery area, so generally I wait till I have a chance at a buck, and if that chance never comes, it sometimes too late to tag a doe, hence low numbers... I feel harvest number would drastically increase if they did allow 2 tags- Believe it or not, there is method to the DNR's madness... But its worth a shot, because the DNR is there for the people, just as much as it is for the resource..