• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Butt Seat - Like It?

eyepatrol

How many people use a butt seat while trolling with the bow mount and do you like it?

About how much does the pedestal and seat cost???

Thinking of getting one for myself. Sitting in the regular seat just isn't high enough it seems (even with it adjusted fully up).

It is all I use when on the trolling motor. I really like them, you can sit on it or raise it up to lean against. Most will tilt as well to get the right angle to lean against. You will really like them if you spend much time casting. As for cost, it depends on what pedestal you need for your boat and what seat you want, I would say $100-180 as a range.

im the same. I love to have it to lean back on it to gain support for the back. Instead of having all the tension on my back, i can lean up against it for support. I would get one if i was you, you will like it.

If you are standing up to cast, flip, or pitch while using the trolling motor for positioning the butt seat is invaluable for the back (my back at least). A recessed tray for the trolling motor pedal will also help (so you don't have to stand on one leg all day).

If you are trolling, why not sit down and relax?

Good to hear guys! I've liked the thought of one, so I will have to pick one up.

As for trolling, I guess what I meant to say was I troll along and pitch jigs or cast cranks while walleye fishing. So even though I'm trolling, most of it is spent casting. Sorry for the confusion there. If I were to be trolling spinners or rigs, then by all means I'd use the regular seat.

I have one and really enjoy it. The butt seat is not for everyone though. My dad has a bad back, and there is no support on those seats. If you are looking for something to actually sit on a good idea would be to go to the shop and look at the adjustable cylinders for the butt seats. You can buy the cylinder and the seat seperate and get something you can adjust from a comfortable sitting position and yet if you want you can bring it up and just lean against it.

Again, I throughly enjoy mine and would buy another for myself, but this is just another option.

Chris

I love the butt seat...front and back of the boat.

I would highly recommend the tilt bracket you can buy for these. It tilts the butt seat up/down for preference. I got mine from Bass Pro I believe, and it's a back saver!

If I'm in the bow fishing whether it be jigging, casting, or rigging, I really enjoy having a butt seat. Most of the time I lean against it and like being higher above the water when setting the hook when pulling live bait. I like that upward sweep motion better than when you're sitting down with the rod parallel with the water surface. Personal preference I suppose, but I prefer being up higher than sitting with my knees in my chest. If I want to sit I can lower it down and still be up higher than a normal seat but without the backrest. I got mine at Cabelas but don't recall what I paid last year. Get the correct post for your boat ped and then pick out the seat of your choice. One other benefit is that they take up less room in the bow and is easier to walk around with the smaller footprint compared to a full sized seat.

Butt (pedistal) seat is a great investment. I like them on those hot days when the sun seems to zap all my energy.

I see a few guys here have issues with backpain while standing and casting. I suffered from the same problem while casting large baits all day. A doctor friend who fishes told me to put one foot on the gunwale, as it would keep the spine properly alligned and supported. Two years later, I have to say it works and makes long trips much better.

I like the butt seat that I have. However, no-one else likes it. I unintentionally got the tall man's version. I didn't even know they made them. I'm 6'1" and have it lowered all the way. If you're not my height or taller, you can't use it. So, the moral to the story, know what you're getting before you get it.

I really like mine when casting. When running my bow mount it sure gives me more stability. Helps the back too. I only use it for casting though, if I'm up front and just sitting I will use a regular seat. I think mine was $125-150, bought it about 3 yrs ago.

Been looking at getting one also, but (no pun intended) for a different reason.

I wear a life jacket and when I try to sit back into a regular seat, the jacket won't allow me to sit all the way against the seat back. It forces me to sit forward and causes pain in my lower back because it is not supported at all, just the upper back.

I'm hoping a butt seat, one that has a higher back support, will work for me. It should fit just under the life jacket and rest against my lower back. I've seen some that have a higher back support area that look like they may work.

Anybody else have this issue, or have a butt seat that is higher in the back?

Wish,

Have you ever tried an inflatable vest? Most don't have a back. I promised my wife I would wear it when I fish alone and it's almost like wearing nothing. Sorry for getting off-topic. The butt seat is still pretty nice to have.

Originally Posted By: Can'tFishEnuf
Wish,

Have you ever tried an inflatable vest? Most don't have a back. I promised my wife I would wear it when I fish alone and it's almost like wearing nothing.

I was considering this. Which one do you have? I know some have manual and others automatic inflation.

I have the Cabelas brand. It is very similar to the Sospender brand. I think mine was around $100. I have the automatic, which also has a manual pull-cord. I have been out in rain and it has never misfired on me, although I wear it under my rain jacket when raining. I got the auto after hearing stories of people fishing alone and drowning because they probably get knocked unconscious and fall in the water. Assuming it works properly and fires, it will keep your head above water even if unconscious. This thing is so much more comfortable to wear than a traditional jacket. However, I still keep a regular jacket and cushion close by, just in case.