• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Frontline

anyfishwilldo

I bought K9 Advantix it costed bout 60 buck but i got 6 application plus a free one compared to $45 for frontline and only 3 applications, which is a good deal to me bc i got 2 dogs and one package will get me through tick season. The vet said that the two are about the same but recommened advantix bc it also protects against biting flies and skeeters along with fleas.

I thought you start using heartgaurd at the beginning of June not this early?

We still have a buch of snow north of brainerd, but ticks will be out very soon. Have seen them out when piles of snow still around. Fleet had frontline for $35 for 3 pac. Its gettin that time again for the little bastards.

The two people mainly use are Frontline and Advantix. We use Frontline but many use Advantix because of the ingrediant Permethrin which not only kills ticks but repels them and some biting insects including mosquitoes. We have never used Advantix but have heard some very positive things from it.

Chad

If you have cats and you dog mingles with the cats, do not use Advantix. My vet said it can be toxic to cats if the cat comes into contact with the dog within 24 hours or so of application.

Originally Posted By: fivebucks
If you have cats and you dog mingles with the cats, do not use Advantix. My vet said it can be toxic to cats if the cat comes into contact with the dog within 24 hours or so of application.

Maybe I should switch so the neighbors cat won't be hanging out in my yard anymore.

I have found some great price differences on Frontline and Advantix on the internet, much better than the local big box pet store. Give it a try.

Also, I have used the horse deworming paste for heart worm control. You can get a syringe of it for $5-7. I put a little of it on a piece of cheese and it's one in a heartbeat. It has the same chemical - Ivermectin (sp?) as the high buck pills. One syringe lasts a year or so.

I've used both, in my case Advantix has been superior to Frontline. It seems to last longer and kills the ticks faster, also discourages skeeters. As for the cat reference, for once I'll be politically correct and just say WHATEVER!

Do cats get ticks? I Frontline my dog but not the cat. They play in the same yard; the dog gets ticks but the cat does not, never (long haired cat). Anyone know anything about this?