• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Don't forget the 2-way Radios

Kaz

Now the ice fishing is started, DON"T FORGET THE 2-WAY RADIOS. You know it's a lot easier to find someone on the lake if you can call them and ask where they are. With all of the Houses out there, and many looking alike, if you can talk to the person your looking for, you have a good idea which direction to start. Plus bait, depth, presentation, and what lure is best, are all swapped back and forth. The guides use them in the open water, so why not take advantage of radios now. And for SAFETY SAKE, if you get into trouble, a call for help is just a PUSH BUTTON away. Channels are FRS, 7/11, Marine is channel 82. BE SAFE, BE WISER.... Kaz

If I understand your post correctly for FRS the channels for FishingMN are 7 and 11? Correct. I will bave mine with me when I am on the ice if these the channels it would nice to see in any FMers are the body of water I am on.

Pike: 7/11 is channel 7 with the 11 subtone. They picked that combination since it is easy to remember, like the stores. Hope that clears it up for you.

Pat: Good to hear from you. Looking forward to seeing you on the Ice too. I'm coming up on Tue, and will be there until Saturday. I'll monitor channel 82 and 7/11.

Best regards Dick (aka Kaz)

Frozen: No, CB is in the 27Mhz band and is AM, lots of interference. FRS is in the 462Mhz band and FM, Practically no interference. They can't talk to each other. FRS handhelds are alot smaller too....Kaz

Kaz are you saying you can monitor marine band on your FRS? I ask this because I have a handheld marine radio. A buddy was thinking of getting the FRS. I would like to be able to communicate with him on my marine band.

------------------
Good Luck & Good Fishing. Lucky

Thanks for clearing that up Kaz. He's too cheap to go for the marine band. I'll probably go half on a set of FRS. I believe I saw a set that have a 5 mile range.

------------------
Good Luck & Good Fishing. Lucky

So FRS radios are not the type parents use at the mall to keep track of their kids? Cobra etc?
I havn't used radios much so I don't know 1 from another.

Lucky: Nope, Marine Band is 156/157 Mhz FM. FRS/GRMS radios are in the 462Mhz FM. You need a radio of the same type to talk to each other.If he's planning to get a handheld too, I'd go for the Marine radio. More power and lots more people on the water use them. More expensive, but I think there are worth it.... Kaz

[This message has been edited by Kaz (edited 12-06-2003).]

Frozen: Yes, they are the same. FRS is the lower power, 2mi range. Lots of people use them at the Malls, etc. The GMRS is the higher power for the 5mi range. Since they are in the same band, they can talk to each other on the first 7 channels. Look for a special on the price. Fleet Farm, Walmart,Kmart or Target usually are the cheapest....Kaz

Any brand work better? Many different ones out there to choose from some 12 some 16 -22
channels I would assume to get one with NOAA on it?

------------------
Crappie:
It's the other white meat.

Try Too Fish: Range is limited with a hand held vs regular mount. The bigest difference is the antenna, but hand helds run 5 watts of power vs 25 watts on the regular units. They both have their places. One thing you can do to increase the range on the hand held, is to put a adaptor on it to attach a longer antenna, like a 36" or an 8' when you are needing more range. I think a hand held is OK for limited range on LOTW, especially on the Ice. If you are in you boat and everyone is in sight of each other, then they work well.

Frozen: I'm a Motorola person for the FRS/GMRS radios, not to say the others are not good too. As for the NOAA stations, that may be available on some of them, but you will look them over to find out.. Most FRS have the 14 channels and the GMRS have the 22 channels. If I remember right the first 7 are the common in both types. The others you have to stay in the same grouping. What ever you choose, just remember to bring them on the Ice or Water, and when first out, turn them on and do radio check. Nothing is more frustrating than wanting to call someone and they are on the wrong channel or didn't turn on the radios...Kaz

I went to Walmart and picked up a pair of Audiovox 22 ch FRS Marine 5mi. range for $29.95. I found these the best because they don't take a special battery pack 4 aaa HIMH, came with charger, a pair of 2 for the price of 1 of some, the range of 5 mi compared to 2, and price. They had 7 mi. but 2x the price for just 1. I Can't wait to try them out Sat.

------------------
Crappie:
It's the other white meat.

Ok I picked up a pair of walkie talkies at the ice show. It's 7mi range (so they claim) with 2 watts of power. I paid 40. Made by midland or something.

Any ways, I don't have sub codes. The other more expensive model did. Does this mean that I can't pick up anyone on channel 7/11?

Ebass: You will be able to hear anyone on channel 7/11, but they will not hear you unless they have subchannel "0" set in their radio. Without the transmitting of the subtone 11 (97.4 Hz), on your radio, their radio will not open for them to hear you... Kaz