• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Marcum LX-3-- all year 'round??

jascher20

I know there is a running debate b/w Marcum and Vex, but I am just getting outfitted after a few years off from the ice-- along w/ being very intrigued about purchasing a LX3 for the Frabil, I also purchased a boat that I will need electronics for.. Can I use the LX3 year 'round or am I going to be better off w/ something else... Just looking to justify the purchase a little more... thanks.. I will also be a little new to the electronics thru the ice but have learned a lot on this site...

Ascher

A flasher and a graph in the boat is a great combination. The graph shows speed, temp and depth but the flasher shows you the fish. So, yes, you can definately use the Marcum in the boat. I have both a high speed and trolling motor mount tranducers in my boat and they work great. Fish on!
Dobber

Thanks for the info, guys... W/ me not knowing how much time I am going to be able to spend on the ice just getting back in, I just went out and bought the Vex FL-8SE Blue Pack-- I just made the decision to save the $$$ and use it toward the other things I need to get going... I hope it isn't a decision I will be sorry with.. but, I have never used electronics thru the ice, so what I don't know probably won't hurt me, right??? If I am making a huge mistake after hearing my reasoning, please advise.. I fish mostly panfish usually not over 25 ft of water-- along w/ walleyes... thanks again..

• we are 'the leading edge' HSO Creators

You did well jascher, you would have also been very, very pleased with a MarCum LX1 purchase using your same reasoning.

Paul,

That has not been my experience!

No problem seeing the colors or the display. I have both the LX-3 and FL-8 and I will say that the LX-3 display is much crisper, or more defined if you will.

Either way you can't go wrong as both units are good. I just prefer the the LX-3.

------------------
Paul
[email protected]
Marcum
Otter Outdoors

• we are 'the leading edge' HSO Creators

They are both bright so sunlight isn't an issue with either unit. The MarCum has a crispness (thin line display) to their display that the vex does not have.

You can distinguish betwen the vex's three colors better than you can between the MarCum's (The orange tends to blend into the red).

You guys who get vex's, mark my words, when you get out fishing and someone starts fishing near you with a MarCum, you'll wish you had the MarCum LX1 or LX3 for more reasons than one.

That may change next year and vex may improve and I hope they do. Like most of you, vex has been my ol' reliable partner for many years. I hate to see vex not keeping up.

I fish both units so I can tell you what I've found. I respect the Vex, great unit, but...The MarCum wins in the average joe angler usage contest.

For me it's "Keep it Simple and Give me More". MarCum has done that.

You will also find those that have fished both will tell you...They prefer to use the MarCum.

The bar has been raised, I bet Vex meets it and raises there's next year.

That's good for all of us smile.gif

[This message has been edited by Rick (edited 12-06-2003).]

Guess I would have to disagree.
The FL-18 has the same if not better target separation then other flashers.
Again, the mid-range zoom isn't necessary.
My FL-18 does not and has not interfered with any of my electronics in my boat.
And the charging system is apples to oranges.

The bottom lock on the FL-18 has the advantage for open water. The FL-18 with only 400 watts can keep a bottom signal at over 70 MPH. The bottom lock really excels in windy conditions. Say your fishing from your bow and the bow is slapping up and down. Without the bottom lock, the bottom signal on the dial shoots up and down making it hard to read targets and bottom. With the bottom lock, it does just that, locks into the bottom. Your signal will not bounce on the screen no matter how windy it is.

------------------
Mille Lacs Guide Service
320-293-3287
www.millelacsguideservice.com

Best bet, although not always possible, is to fish both of these units on open water before purchasing. There are many guys here on FM that would take you out and show you the units in action. I think you will find, as many do, that the adjustable zoom on the MarCum is a very useful feature as are many advanced features not available on some the other units. I also think you'll find that the LX-3 is a super open water unit. If your still shopping for a flasher in the spring, give me a shout and I'll take you out and show you the LX-3 in action on the open water.

[This message has been edited by Dan Wood (edited 12-06-2003).]

CNY Tim, I was following this thread on Saturday morning. Not sure if you got to see what all was posted, but I managed to save a choice tidbit directed at you which you may find quite amusing. Email me at fiskyknut at yahoo.com and I'll give you the scoop.

I for one appreciate your well informed, unbiased, and non agenda driven information you provide regarding flashers, thank you. I have used them all myself, and finally monkeyed with an LX1 yesterday. As I have no brand loyalties, or sponsers to appease, the choice is clear. I simply want the best for my money, and the best is clearly the Marcum product. Based on my 20+ years of using various flashers on the ice, they are without a doubt the best flashers availiable at this time.....Bar none.

fiskyknut

[This message has been edited by fiskyknut (edited 12-08-2003).]

it seems every one talks about the vexs alot here ,, how many are aware that this was a hondex unit b4 it was vexilar? b4 that micronar, and if i recall correct sytex b4 that . personally i ran the hondex FL8 for over 20 years to switch to the LX3 Marcum last spring. picked up ice fishing pack on sale for $312.used ice fishing and open water, works great in both ways. till vex gets the adjustable zoom option they will be 2nd best in my opinion. wil will get along fine with the unit you picked up just fine for many years ,, i did wink.gif

Well guys off topic here but it looks good for us around NY to start walking on top of our small lakes shortly. My starter lake has set-up nicely finally. Lets fish and have fun with our friends because when you get right down to it that's what's most important.
The MarCum LX-3 Ice Fishing System is a must consideration for any experienced ice fisherman that is looking for zoom capabilities and options. The LX-3 has a clean crisp display that sharpens and enhances target separation. Having a multiple adjustable zoom window is an excellent multi-species tool. This feature allows you to use that zoom and enhance the target area.
There's nothing wrong with having a little more detail in the target area.
The bottom line is these units are expensive regardless of which one you choose take the time to research and by all means test drive if you can and find out what works for you. It's your hard earned money, do take the time to spend it wisely.
To ensure that we receive the advancements that we deserve take the time to let these companies know about your likes and dislikes about your unit's, nothings perfect and feedback provided back to the manufacturer helps them to make improvements and make adjustments. Remember were the customers and we pay the bills.

fiskynut - I tried to send you an email but it would not take on my end can you send it to [email protected]
Thank you for your comments.

Hello HARDCORES !

I have got the LX-3 and I use it all year round. You can get the transom mount transducer for about $70.00. I can usually acheive a good signal going about 25-30 miles an hour (if the water's not to choppy).

As far as through the ice, a buddy of mine has the Vexilar. Fishing with him side by side, I noticed that after staring at my Marcum and then looking over at his, there is a huge difference in clarity. Looking at his is like I just took my glasses off. It almost seems blurry. The MARCUM is crystal clear and sharp. And most of all it is incredibly sensitive and acurate. Side by side through experience and research (before I bought either or) the MARCUM takes the cake.

My opinion only

It's the Fl-18. Do have any info on the newer one? Because he had mentioned to me that he was going to sell the FL-18 and buy the Marcum? But if you have ant info on the performance of the new on, it would be appreciated.

Thanks