• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Anchor rigging

What are you guys doing for anchor rope management? I've seen winches, pulleys, grippers just to name a few.

I suppose it depends on how often you are going to use the anchor. I don't use it much, but I might if I had a better system.

I have an Alumacraft Navigator 165 CS with a bow mount trolling motor. Not much room for anything else up there unless it is off center.

I use the good ol grippers as I have them at 5 locations on the boat. The only place I use my anchors is on the river catfishing and sturgeon fishing. I have 200' of rope on each anchor and another fisherman should me a handy way of storing the extra rope. I take a fold up lawnchair bag and place all the rope in there. Now, when I get to the river and want to use the anchor, the rope comes out without a knot and there is no time spent unknotting the mess.

Another thing I have been shown and use is to place a few feet of chain to your anchor and then tie it to the rope. Then, take a bicycle innertube and place that around the length of chain to protect the side of the boat when you are deploying the anchor or pulling it back up.

When fishing on the river in heavy current, I can go up stream in almost any current and drop both ancjhors and then drift to the spot I would like to fish. As I drift, I will tug on the rope evry so lightly to help set the anchor on the bottom of the river. Doing this, one can almost anchor on any type bottom with the correct anchors.

Sorry for the rant about all the anchor items but I figured it may help someone. Yes, the grippers work well for me.

I also don't anchor very often. I think I have 3 anchor ropes in my boat, 50 footer, 100 footer, and a longer one (150 or 200 feet, I don't remember which). I have each coiled seperately and stashed in the compartment with my batteries and oil resevoir.

The chain HL mentioned is a good idea, especially if you use a lightweight spike anchor. I really like the bike inner-tube idea unless you go with rubber-coated chain.

I just tie-off on the 4 cleats that are on my boat. If I need to anchor off the bow I usually pass the rope through the bow eye, then tie it off on a cleat. Kind of a hassle, but like I said I don't anchor very often so it works for me.

I use a plastic milk crate also, keeps things neat and is easy to take out of the boat at home.

you may also want to get a float for the end of your rope. that way if you get a big fish, you dont need to pull up the anchor to chase it down just untie and go. and when your done you dont need to reset just retie and your done.

I use an old Boy Scout canoe trick and do a quick braid on the line. No mess, no tangles, when you feed it out it unlocks itself. At end of day braid it back up and stow it.

Go to a store such as menards. Good to the electrical area and they make spools that you roll wire onto. usually orange in color. Anchor rope winds great onto these. Small enough to store in compartments in the boat! only way to go far as im concerned. No crates no bulky container!

I like the spool idea.

Thinking I might go with 3 different colored ropes that are 3 different lengths with clips on both ends. One to clip onto the bow eye and the other for the anchor. Clip, clip and toss the sucker overboard. Might be a hassle reaching down to the bow eye to retrieve it however. Sounds like a good job for my fishing buddy grin.gif

I like the idea of a winch, but don't use the anchor enough to justify the cost. Also the space issue for the winch.

I use milk crates as well in my boat. One up front for the 25 Richter and one in the back for the 25 Richter. I do use my anchors all the time on the river so they are always out.

I actually bought another bow eye and mounted it farther up towards the top to eliminate the problem of bending over in the water to unclip you rope. As far as the rope goes By a like a D ring and a clamp to secure the rope in some sort of knot! never have had a problem works well.as you said I clip the rope to the anchor hold onto the spool and it rolls to the bottom tie off to the new bow eye you installed!

Another option if anchoring straight off the front of the boat is a product called the drop n stay deuce. I have used the standard drop n stay for a little while now and love it. I don't have the deuce yet but plan on ordering one soon. It is a shock absorber that reduces pressure on your anchor. Pretty cool video on the HSOforum, it might be what you guys are looking for.

As for rope storage, I run it right out of my storage compartment. I always keep it in a circle so it does not get messy. I use the bigger rope as well which seems to not tangle as much.

The cord you are reffering too would also save on the hard tugs on your boat cleats too when some waves rock the boat. Good for both the cleats and keeping your anchor hooked to the bottom.

I have looked into purchasing one as many have suggested to use one.

Great suggestion.

You are correct Harvey, it does make the ride while anchored much smoother. I broke down and ordered one and the deuce should be arriveing soon. If it shows up today I will give it a shot and let you all know how it performs.

On a side note, THANK GOD this winter is over!!! Anybody else getting excited???

I am with harvey on the grippers, I use them for anchors, stringers, bait buckets, etc.

I use a sleeping bag stuff sack for the rope and have a brass clip on the end. I always just stuff the rope in the bag and it always pulls our without tangles. I always leave the clip just on the outside of the bag before synching.

I got a chance to get out and try the Drop-n-Stay Deuce. I like it better then the original because I am able to anchor straight off the bow. Man does this thing stretch! Huge difference in holding and ride while anchored compared to just a rope off the bow eye. I did try it off the side and it did work very well that way as well. It will come in very handy when I am by myself for anchoring sideways. I do think it will hold better off the bow then off the side so I will still be able to use the originals for when it is really windy and I have a partner. I would have done more testing but man it was cold! Anybody else hungry for fish??

Originally Posted By: irishwalleye
 Originally Posted By: harvey lee
Yes, the grippers work well for me.

What are "Grippers"?

Just got some at fleet 2/$5. Fasten to the boat and just wrap your cord zig zag through the cleats and it hold the rope better than a knot.

What is the advantage of having a small section of chain attached to the anchor? Is it so the rope doesn’t get sheared off if it gets caught between rocks or something?

I see they sell 2'sections of rubber coated chain for this and am wondering if its worth buying.

I got a 4' section of rubber coated chain today. The way it's explained to me is one, the rope won't rub against the rocks and wear and two, it has some extra weight is it makes the anchor lean the right way if that makes sense. Don't know if I described it right.

That sounds like good enough reason for me. Helping to keep the anchor set while in waves and not such a hard tug on the boat are good things.