• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Spark Plugs for a Sliverado

I have a Silverado and am going to do a 100,000 mile tune up. Ac-Delco changed plugs from a 41-952 to a 41-985 iridium Plug. I think the old plug was platinum. Can I run Bosch Platinum Plus or do I need to run AC Delco? I have read both on sites but want to know what have you guys done?

Stick with the O.E. A/C Delco plug. Yes they are expensive but if you figure that you have to only change them once per 100k versus being on your third tuneup if it had conventional plugs your ahead on out of pocket.

DO NOT USE BOSCH PLUGS IN A GM VEHICLE!

Second the motion on the DO NOT USE Bosch in GM . I did once and in less than 12,000 miles tips from two plugs disintegrated , why ??? cost me extra dough to figure out what was wrong , then installed OEM and went another 100,000 miles and were fine but replaced with OEM again .99 Suburban 272,000 miles and still runs like a top...........

The O.E.M./factory has built in some ways the eng. around the spark plug. Now, not to say the O.E.M./factory has built an eng. around the wrong spark plug, would be wrong, but for the most part the O.E.M./factory makes the best spark plug for that particular eng…

The list of "why" to run O.E.M. plugs is long, but things like fuel econ, miss fire issues and check eng lights top that list.

It’s like putting vegetables in a fruit salad. It can be done, but it’s the wrong thing to do. Stick with the right stuff.

I have found some good deal on oe parts in Walmart, Autozone, hsolist. Just check around. I bought my last set for my truck for about $2 per plug at Walmart. Although that was for a ford, Motorcraft.

Originally Posted By: jwhjr
I also stick with the OEM when I change them out. I figure if it ain't broke... grin.gif

Just wanted to try something different, with so many kinds of plugs these days thought maybe there was one that someone put in that made a mpg or more hp.

Originally Posted By: 18 inch Crappie
 Originally Posted By: jwhjr
I also stick with the OEM when I change them out. I figure if it ain't broke... grin.gif

Just wanted to try something different, with so many kinds of plugs these days thought maybe there was one that someone put in that made a mpg or more hp.

Not a problem. I'm not knocking looking at using a different plug. I'm just too lazy to try and figure I can't go wrong using whatever the original type was. I'm sure there are probably better ones to use.

Originally Posted By: airjer
DO NOT USE BOSCH PLUGS IN A GM VEHICLE!

OK.. I put Bosch Platinum +2 in my Sierra (5.3l V8) nearly 80,000 miles ago. I could double check my records to confirm the actual mileage but I have changed plugs once since I bought the truck (bought it at 40k, have 185k now).

If there is a good reason, I'll pull them out quick. But when Airjer tends to recommend something vehicle related... I'll listen. My guess is if there was a problem, I'd have noticed it by now???? Yes??? Should I be concerned?

I wouldn't be concerned Chris, if there was problem,you would have had it within the first 20k when you replaced the plugs. Most problems occur from the wrong style/design is replacing the original OE plug. Plug depth and heat range need to match up is the key. I personally run NGK's in everything I have. The River Pro, any race car engines I build, the go-karts,even the Farmall H in the shed. I have stayed away from Autolight and Champion plugs, they seem to be just good enough to plug the hole and have had nothing but issues with them.

Yeah Brian, I figured if something was going to go wrong, it would have.

I put these same Bosch plugs into my Ford Ranger many years ago and figured I'd put them in the Sierra as well. Both trucks... no issues at all with nearly 140,000 miles between the 2 trucks combined on those plugs.

With my snowmobile and boat motor, its NGK all the way.

I have not had too many issues with the Bosch +2. The real problem is the Bosch +4. Since The guys at the parts counters think the +4 are the greatest thing since the invention of the locking pliers and they always seem to be on sale (they have to get rid of them somehow) most people end up leaving with a set of them. The problem is there is no adjustable gap and they seem to require higher output ignition systems (coil over or other DIS systems). Typically the vehicles that suffer the most when these are installed are the older distributor type ignition systems and typically the problems show up in the late fall or winter.

I have removed more brand new +4's and replaced with O.E. plugs to solve many no start complaints over the years.

So to answer your question Chris, Your fine.

I work at a parts store and I won't sell people bosch plugs unless they really want them. The reason is that I have had enough people come in with problems. I think in some german cars they work fine, but I have just had too many people come in and say they just put them in their car and it ran worse than with the old plugs.

Stick with the delco iridium or get an ngk iridium. I have never had a complaint when someone goes with either one of those.

I am sticking with Ac Delco 41-985 at $6 ea and found a deal on wires on Amazon.com with free shipping and a rebate to boot. So My tune up will cost me $80 and I do the work. My dad has the same truck and paid $265 for a shop to the same thing and they hit him up for $12 a plug.

I guess when you put it that way Shack, everybody should immediately replace there current plugs with Bosh Platinum +4's! grin.gif lol

Bosch plugs work the best in the German cars. Don't get me started on them. I did my first T-Belt on a 1.8 turbo Passat the other day along with a turbo. $4,000 (yes thats 4 grand) later the customer was back on the road. By the way if the T-belt brakes on one of these (and they do right about 90k) it will run you about $5,000 to get it running again!

Reminds me of the Mercury Mercur.

I worked at a dealer where it was "our" specialty. What a bomb of a car that was. I think that was Fords try with German thoughts grin.gif.