• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

homemade jigs

gvg_uwec

just wondering if any of you make your own jigs and stuff..ive been making various jigs using fly tying equipment this off season.(give me something to do at college when im bored)
if you do i was wondering if you could send me a pic or two to get some more ideas for new jigs to make. thanks in advance

I made some small ice jigs that work real well on panfish. Take a small split ring,slide a small hook through it,"fly hooks work good",then melt some lead into the center of the splitring.Paint them a color of choice and your done.

Pinch on a split shot on a plain hook, I've used this in the past and it works pretty good. You can use a variety of split shots and weights to get the desired action, etc.

Also try maybe adding a bead or two to the line above your jig or hook, I've done well using this method in the past as well. Adds attracting power and draws fish in, as well as sound and sight.

Good Fishin,
Matt

------------------
[email protected]
Catch-N Tackle and Bio Bait
MarCum

I use #2 hammered copper willowleaf blade. Drill a hole on the end that does`nt have one. On the back side of the blade add some solder on the lower half of one end or the other(that will give it the flutter). Add a splitring and #14 treble hook on the weighted end. On the top add a split ring and small ball bearing or roller swivel. I caught perch, tons of walleye, and trout with this lure last year. This is a MUST have in your tackle box. Use spikes even for walleye with this lure. When I was in Devils Lake last year I was fishing near a area guide and I caught 3 to 1 (walleye)with this lure. It looks ugly but it CATCHES FISH. You can make 10 of these for 5 bucks or less. Fish On

[This message has been edited by bhorn (edited 11-25-2003).]

Its not worth lead poisoning to get a few dollars worth the jigs (lead heads) I will support the local bait shops on this one.
I worked for PPG for 10 yrs and lead poisoning is easier to get than you think.

Here's an easy one - Take small GOLD plated hooks, stick them into a piece of wood so that the shank is flat on the surface. Use a soldering iron and rosin core solder and form a blob on the hook shank the size and shape you want. Clean the rosin flux off with acetone and paint them.

Another trick for painting is to warm up the jig with a hair dryer and stick the eye into some wax. This will let you get the paint out of the eye later.