• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Why Doesn't Nils Make A 10"?

one_walleye_willie

I fished with someone that was using 10" holes last Saturday. Them big holes are scarry ... seemed like big magnets for sucking gear or people under the ice. But they would be great for site fishing.

Im not sure why no 10" but I can tel ya what I do when I think I need a bigger hole like when laker fishing. I cut my 1st hole then I cut a second hole overlapping my 1st one and that gives me a hole about 13-14" long and 8" wide.( The power point on the Nils keeps you from sliding over into the 1st hole very nicely) Plenty big for big fish and it also helps keep my ducer cord out of my way. I even do this at times when fishing other fish just to keep my cord from getting tangled up in my fish. I hate losing fish when they get tangled up on the ducer cord.

Quote:
why don't they make a 10"

My guess would be they would have to create a whole new powerhead and the one they have works great for everything up to a 8" so if it ain't broke why fix it. I am with NL on making a hole bigger and if I want a real big one I will cut them in a triangular pattern. After panfishing this weekend I think that there is a lot of people that need to upgrade there augers unless they really enjoy that much of a workout when they are fishing grin.gif

I have a Nils and I myself have yet to 'need' a 10" hole. However, the ducer puck and cord do get in the way (tangled up fish!) when landing a fish, perhaps more so out of a 8" hole compared to a 10" hole. With the speed/low drilling effort of the Nils, I generally drill two holes close to one another: one to fish out of, the other for the ducer. Problem solved. I don't typically target huge fish (pike, musk, lakers) so the 'empty' 8" hole works out just fine for me.

Why don't they have a 10"? My guess is that the return/profits would not offset the amount of $ put into the research and design of 1) a 10" blade/screw, and 2) a higher torque engine. The current engine is not intentionally designed as an "ice-auger" powerhead, per se. The folks at Nil's used an existing engine from Tanaka (TED-262DH) and mated it with the ice auger/blade, vastly cutting down on their R&D / overhead. I don't think the Tanaka engine has enough torque to spin a 10" blade through the ice.

Are 10" augers used extensively in other regions of the world, or are they used primarily in the U.S/Canada?

Well I guess I'll have to stick with my 10" Jiffy. I love my 10" holes because they don't freeze up so fast and for the transducer problems. I can't drill two 8" holes in my wheelhouse. I guess I'm just surprised a good company like Nils doesn't sell a 10".

10" augers are heavier, produce more ice chips, use more gas, arguably break down more often, can't imagine why I would ever want one, but maybe thats because I prefer walleyes and crappies to sturgeon and lakers.

LOL is this another coke vs pepsi, Vex vs marcum deal?

I don't know why you say the 10" augers break down more. i've had mine for 12 + years and it has never broke down, but again it is an Eskimo.

I primarly fish Walleyes and crappies too. I'll never go back to an 8" much less anything smaller

IMO Nils doesnt make a 10" because they know it will be slower and that is one of their big selling points is they are the fastest auger! when in reality it is because they have a smaller auger bit. Most people i have seen with them have the 6" and beat out my strikemaster only because it is a 6". Im sure if i had a 6 inch strikemaster i could cut just as fast as their 6 inch nils.

Dont mean to shoot down FM's sponsor or anything but that is just what i think.

Later

[Note from admin: Your guess is incorrect. They are 8" augers going against 8" augers]

I think overall ice fishing is turning so much to portability in recent years that there is going to be less and less of a demand for 10" augers. Nils has realized this trend and like crappie man said their main selling point is how fast and easy to drill they are so sticking to a smaller bit makes perfect sense for them to keep their reputation going.

On to the other topic of 10" vs 8". IMO a 10" hole is totally unnecessary except for maybe a little more comfort with your transducer. I fish lake trout 5-6 times a winter and hate using a 10" hole. I've never seen someone have a fish they couldn't get in a 8" hole and yeah it's easier to get them into a 10" hole but I've had way to many slide tail first into a big hole like that. Also once you get them up the 8" hole they have hardly any room to wiggle around and it's so much easier to grab them

10" hole? I saw a 10" hole the other day after a 2 day warm up and it was scary, I could have trolled in the the thing. Then the next day it got cold and snowed and covered that hole just enough that you couldn't see it. I was going to bring my young one and after see that he'll have to wait till open water, at least if he goes in the water then I can get him. LOL

As of right now, Nils Master are SOLD OUT. They can't make them fast enough! Maybe once production catches up they'll entertain the thought of a 10" but I doubt it. Then again you never know.

There are and always will be the faithful 10" guys but I've seen many make the switch to lighter, faster auger geared toward the run & gun. For me the 8" Nils Master is the bomb.

If you look at their product line you'll notice sizes 4 1/2", 6", and 8". Who would use a 4 1/2" hole you say. They do in Finland which is where the Nils Master originated from. I wouldn't be sticking my neck out by saying they hand drill with the 4 1/2" auger either.

So its like saying when will Porsche come out with a fuel sipping 4 cylinder.

The only thing i like about a 10" hole is for tipup fishing when it is below freezing out... many times if you dont chip your hole out often the edges of the hole becomes frozen and it therefore turns into an 8" hole and i have had holes before where i couldnt get a northern up that 8" hole because it was frozen down to a 6-7"er so i ended up snaping my line off..

IMO

Ryan

Here is a related question about the nils augers. What is the throttle assembly like on these babies??? Is it mostly plastic or metal? I am considering buying one but would shy away if there is a lot of plastic on them.

Originally Posted By: CNY Lee
10" hole? I saw a 10" hole the other day after a 2 day warm up and it was scary, I could have trolled in the the thing. Then the next day it got cold and snowed and covered that hole just enough that you couldn't see it. I was going to bring my young one and after see that he'll have to wait till open water, at least if he goes in the water then I can get him. LOL

I was fishing about 7 years ago and stepped backwards into one of these 10" holes. I went down all the way to the hip and there was about 4" of water on the ice. I fell 3 more times just trying to stand up because my crampon had slipped off when I went down the hole. I had on 2 pair of sweat pants for warmth and let me tell ya they wick up the water fast. Fortunately for me my boot stayed on and we were fishing at a friends cabin and I only had to go about 300 yds back to the cabin. We still have the 10" drill unit but we haven't used it since, just the 8". My hubby was about 3 or 4 blocks out from me and he freaked out when he turned around and saw me flopping around on the ice like a beached whale. I can laugh about it now and try to be very careful where I step.

Tullibee its a plastic throttle lever but is pretty well protected by the metal arms so the lever doesnt throttle control doesnt hit anything when you lay it down. 3 plus winters on mine and never had a auger problem that wasnt my fault. I have never had anything on mine break. I have had 1 blade go bad from drilling in oar dust and 1 shaft bend when I got stuck in a 2 by 4 some one-who-thinks-I-am-silly left to freeze into the ice. Didnt know what it was until I used a pipe wrench to spin my shaft back out of the hole.

Like any other auger if you take care of your Nils it will last you for years. I have been very happy with mine and feel I have already got my moneys worth. I know I catch more fish because of it. I search way more now than I ever did before.

If you get a NIls get the long shaft, a extra blade assembly and run Amsoil Saber in it and you will have a blast.