• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Does anyone use plain hooks anymore????

LOWinEYEin

You betya!
Use plain red #8 hooks on my rattle reel.
Along with a golden shiner and place hook about one foot above the bottom and hope the walleyes see that minnow and only the minnow.
More 10lb.+ walleyes have been caught that way then any other! shocked.gifshocked.gifshocked.gif

Nothing is as basic and more important to the fisherman then a quality hook.

From the standard bait hook to the fine wire Kahle hook they all have a place.

In recent years color has become available as has phosphorescent and luminescent finishes. These new options have proven productive all year long.The selection has also increased dramatically. More tackle companies have invested in higher quality materials that keep hooks up to par longer.

When it comes to fish hooks, some trends seam to go full circle in design given enough time. The increasing popularity of the circle hook is a very good example.

The oldest known examples of fish hooks is believed to be 9,000 years old. We can look to the ancestors of us Scandinavians to find a good example of hook design come full circle.

These hooks are believed to be 7-8,000 years old and were found in "Vistehulene" Norway.
hookhst4.gif
Now lets compare the new Circle Hook commonly used in saltwater and very recently finding great favor in freshwater fishing.
nautilus.jpg
The similarities are remarkable, as were the designers intent.

Some 8000 years ago they wished to hook that fish and keep it hooked. The greatest difference is then they fashioned the hooks from bone, often human bone at that.

While now in the "Modern Age" we use tungsten steel, stainless steel, high carbon steel, and finish the hooks with Teflon in some instances.

With a glance one could easily make a good argument for the more things change, the more they stay the same. Compare and judge for yourself.
hookhst2.gif
I guess my point in all this is nothing is more basic then a good hook. Be it in 510 BC as seen in the above image from Pesca in Tarquinia, or be it today at a high stakes PWT event.
DocSampson.jpg

Yup, it's all about hook'n-um and hold'n-um.

------------------
BACKWATER GUIDING
701-281-2300
[email protected]
><,sUMo,>

Quite often when the fish are finicky or biting light I go to a plain hook and enough weight to hold it the way the fish want it. If the fish are more active put the split shot up a foot or more. If they just want to watch the bait move it down to anchor the minnow in their face. Often they will watch it for a while and when its not moving anywhere they smack it. When using bigger minnows like creek chubs, rainbows or suckers I will cut the tail part off and clip a front fin. This makes them struggle and fish love wounded or weak minnows. Red hooks seem to work well. Blood?

Deadsticking a plain hook and small minnow can be dynamite for crappies, not to mention all species of fish. Those lively minnows on a plain hook really excite the crappies lateral line during low light period and you can bet that a hungry near by crappie will give you a visit. Plain hooks with a minnow often times out produces at night for crappies. Crappies rise to feed on plankton and a lively minnow anchored to a hook is an easy meal that crappies won't pass up. Rig up a jigging rod with a glow horizontal jig packed with maggots and deadstick a minnow and plain hook, the crappies will follow!

Good Fishin,
Matt

[email protected]
Catch-N Tackle
MarCum

in shallow water on tip ups,i'll use a bare
hook without weight,3ft clear leader and let the shinner\sucker just swim all over,the action will bring the fish in and flag willbe flying

I don't use plain hooks much anymore. If I do I like them in red. On my tip-ups I'll use a colored jig head. They give the bait some extra color and hold the minnow down where I want it.

Ron

On most any day, if all you have is plain hooks, you'll still catch fish if your minnow is lively and the fish are in the mood.

Backwater Eddy....Thanks for the great post...T

I use a plain hook and sinker all the time.You won't be doing anything wrong with that simple rig.One jigging rod and your deadstick with a plain hook and minnow.
Actually I use that as kind of a barometer.Keep switching lures and experimenting with color untill you find what out produses the plain hook.

Last year my buddy from Grand Forks and I did a road trip from Upper Red To L.O.W. and we Tried a Plain white painted or Glow painted hook on our second rod with an Ice Buster Bobber. I worked Great. I like doing it that way because then you can experiment with different colored jigs, spoons and techniques with your main rod. Bruce Mosher

Bruce:

Lived in Forks for a coon's age. Wrote for the Herald.

Now I'm in Ely. But whether I'm fishing Devils Lake or Burntside Lake, bare hooks are a definite asset when fish are biting light, and they're always part of my arsenal.

------------------
"Worry less, fish more."
Steve Foss
[email protected]

Heck yeah, I use plain hooks with crawlers for stream trout in the summers with split shot and let it sit on the bottom, it yields constant success. I also use plain hooks tipped with minnows for ice fishing and summer time bobber fishing. Heck it has worked since the begining of fishing, it should still work now. If you can't already tell I'm a huge fan of the old hook and crawler or minnow, besides when you fish with a minnow you never know exactly what might grab on to the other of the line. It might be that crappie or you could tie into that 20lbs pike.

CT I see you are in the Ely area? How is Shag for hardwater fishing? We were there in 96 water was getting green but looked like a rather clear lake otherwise.
As for plain hooks ? Yes they work great for hanging x-mas decorations lol I use them on slow jig days when all colors wont work the plain hook method works well. I also like the glow tubes pink and blue tried them last year at Red and they work great.

------------------
Pies and Eyes for all.
Stay dry and on the fly if you find them they will bite..