• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

water heater recommendations

My gas water heater I believe is on its last leg. Had it since 1992. Wodering if anyone has any opinion on the heaters sold at Menards (Ever Kleen)or Home Depot(GE Smartwater). Are they all the same? I've seen some that say they are self cleaning. Does this mean that draining it for regular maintenace isn't necessary? And my last question, should I stay with a gas heater or change to electric? Any advantage or is it just preference.

I prefer Bradford White. Not sure if Home Depot or Menards carry them. You could check with Winnicks in Forest Lake. I think they'll sell to the public.

I think you're better off with a gas heater rather than an electric unles your going to go with off peak. Then I'd call ECE or whoever you get your juice from and ask their advice.

I just replaced mine (gas), and went with one from Menards. Prices are quite comparable to be honest. I chose a 9 year, self cleaning, it doesn't mean they drain, as you're still recommended to drain it once a year. If you're gas, I'd stick with it.

Hard part is disposing of the old one!

Chris

Originally Posted By: Redlantern
I prefer Bradford White. Not sure if Home Depot or Menards carry them. You could check with Winnicks in Forest Lake. I think they'll sell to the public.

I think you're better off with a gas heater rather than an electric unles your going to go with off peak. Then I'd call ECE or whoever you get your juice from and ask their advice.

Bradford White or another water heater bought from you local plumber will be better than most you will find at menards, they will cost a bit more but will have a higher BTU rating which means a quicker recovery time,, on Tues night I will be installing a Noritz tank less in my house,, i did one for a customer and was so impressed by it that I had to get one for myself. The town I live in has a rebate of $250 for a tank less and there is a $300 federal tax rebate when you put in a tank less that qualifies,,, and I will save a bit on gas!

Look at how many companies make water heaters. Several brands are made within the same factories.

Alot of plumbers won't install one from menards or depot because they feel they get a better deal from the supply house.

I have a several plumbers who use Menards Water heaters without any problems. They are just as good and if they fail during the warrenty, make sure you have your receipt for warrenty issues.

We did a lot of research when we bought our last one. We ended up with a Marathon and are extremely happy with it. They are more up front, but pound for pound the most efficient on the market.

Just my $.02.

Get a Marathon and go with off peak. I am on off peak and it only costs $11 per month for hot water and tahat is with two teenagers in the house and all the showers and clothes washing that comes with them. It is much less than gas. My off peak rates have stayed the same for over 20 years!

Thanks for the replies. My tank is 16 years old. The reason I thought I may need a new one is that I was starting to see water on the floor from the pressure relief valve and I find out that it can be replaced instead of the heater. I've never drained it so would any of you recommend to go ahead and replace the whole unit or just the pressure valve?

16 years is starting to get on the upper end of its life, but who knows, it could go much longer. The relief valve is an easy fix. I would definately flush the heater out for sure. As long as the tank is not leaking you could squeak some more time out of it, your call. Good luck.

It would be wise to see what sort of sediment you have built up in the tank. If you have a well there's a good chance that minerals and or sand have settled into the tank. you're going to have to drain the tank to replace the relief valve. After you put in your new relief valve open the drain and let the water pour from the top and out the drain for a while and get some of the crud out. Run the hose into a bucket and let the bucket overflow and you'll be amazed at how much comes out.

Originally Posted By: Tom7227
It would be wise to see what sort of sediment you have built up in the tank. If you have a well there's a good chance that minerals and or sand have settled into the tank. you're going to have to drain the tank to replace the relief valve. After you put in your new relief valve open the drain and let the water pour from the top and out the drain for a while and get some of the crud out. Run the hose into a bucket and let the bucket overflow and you'll be amazed at how much comes out.

I do the same,but I also pull the magnesium rod and use a hose in its hole for more of a pressure spray to distirb the sediment more.

It's not even that hard. You can even change the relief valve on the fly, without draining the heater. Just dope up the threads on the new relief valve ahead of time, Turn off the shut off valve on the inlet of the heater, open a hot faucet somewhere nearby to take the presure off the system, CLOSE the faucet, take the old relief valve out and quickly thread in the new one. Makes a 1 hour job take about 5 min. You might get 1/4 gal of water, glug, glug, out of the heater onto the floor.

To flush, just hook a hose to bottom drain, open shut off valve above heater, open drain valve and power flush into laundry tub, floor drain, or outside. Flush until water runs clear, and you're done. ( should not have to power flush for more than a couple minutes unless your water is really bad ) Good Luck.

I was listening yesterday (8 March) to WCCO home show, and they said it's now cheaper to run an electric water heater versus a gas water heater. Because of the cost's for natural and propane gas. They said times are changing.

One of the biggest drawbacks to electric water heaters is the recovery time. It takes much longer to heat the average electric water heater up to a useable temperature than it does with gas. As Canepole stated, right now it is generally less expensive to use an electric water heater. Who knows how long this will last. I'm not really sold on gas or electric. I think you need to consider how many people will be using it, how much more expensive one heater is over the other since they don't last forever, how much more efficient it is, what kind of rebates are available and so on. Another advantage to electric is you don't need to worry about venting it.

Regarding the 6yr vs. 9yr warranty: If you have very hard water does a 9yr warranty unit last any longer than a 6yr unit?

I suspect that about 10-12 years is the max life for any type of water heater in a hard water area (for a family of 4).