• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Free agency

Eric Wettschreck

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am very glad the Vikes have jumped into free agency the way they have. I also think the Vikes should be looking for a backup left tackle. I think our present left tackle will be spending alot of extra time with his kids this Fall if the allegations prove to be true.

Does everyone remember Hutchinson and his contract? They were saying the same things when he was the highest paid Guard ever.

Well, now it appears we got him on the cheap. Its likely contracts are going to continue to rise and hopefully we can say something similiar about Berrians contract. Its a high amount, but we had cap space and the ownership wants to put a solid squad on the field.

McKinnie will miss 1-2 games this fall if any. He will have to go through the trial and I'm sure there is another part of the story. Its funny how you never hear about what the bouncers do to provoke until the case gets dismissed or ever for that matter. Time will tell.

I came up with at least 15 recievers I would rather have that are better than Berrian....and to those that say great now we have a good wr that will get double teamed...his name isn't Berrian it is Rice.......Sid Rice is our best WR on the squad...mark it down!!!!

I will say that Berrian is an upgrade at the WR position from the guys we had last year. Heck, even I would be an upgrade from last year. 6yr and $42 million dollars with $18 mil guaranteed.

71 Receptions for 951 yards and 5 TD's. 25 players had more rec. than him(Including the great Jerricho Cotchery had more catches). 25 players had more yards than him(Including Dwayne Bowe and Roddy White who don't have a QB). I think we overpaid for him but you go to do what you got to do . \:\/

I like Rice, and I think he will be an awsome reciever, and I think Berrian will assist in making him one, they cant double cover both of them, and watch our running game!

Quote:
...his name isn't Berrian it is Rice.......Sid Rice is our best WR on the squad...mark it down!!!!

I would agree with that 100%....Berriam is a nice pick up though, spendy yes, but necessary.

yep with berrian I think it is going to help Rice and Adrian and yes they over paid him but that is the nature of the beast when you are the "best" available free agent at your position.......

At least some Queens fans get it. Yes you did overpay for him, can he help you? He can't hurt. It's funny that I am on this end of this conversation because I am usually on the other end, listening to Twinkie fans complain about my White Sox spending too much money. They seem to relish the cheapness of the Twinkie ownership and talk about growing their own talent and small ball and all that stuff. Kind of funny hearing them talk out of the other side of their mouths!

Windy

Its different for us to Windy, this is all uncharted waters for us MN fans, we normally dont have a team that is willing to spend money. So some of us get excited about it.

Well...Windy MLB and NFL is too totally different conversations.

The Twins small ball it and will have some bumpy stretches after losing the 2 faces of the organization...at least we aren't the Pale Hose...a blind squirrel can find a nut sometimes!

Berrian was overpaid, Berrian will fit well in a purple jersey, Berrian and Rice on the outside will make it hard for teams to stack the box, Wade in the slot will have a similiar year to last year, and AP will run wild!

Anyone hear if the Vikes signed anyone else, or who they are all after since last night? I know they want Odem now, but if he is still available after tomorrow.

I hate to call you out on this but overpaying is overpaying, in the MLB or NFL. Just depends on which team is doing the overpaying I guess. I never said that overpaying was a bad thing, just pointed out that you did overpay for Berrien and that we got Briggs for a steal (this was the same package that the Bears offered him 2 years ago). My thoughts have always been, if it ain't my money then price is no object. I hope the Bears and Sox spend till their owners eyes fall out and I hope the Queens and Twinks owners suddenly develop a case of "alligator arms"!

And Tisosy,

Sox-3 Championship Rings...Twinks-2

Bears-1 Superbowl Ring...Queens-0

You do the math.

Windy

lol overpaid...thats a good one...i don't think any of us had to spend a dime.

this is the yr of being overpaid....look at the other contracts of mediocre players this yr with huge contracts.

i like every signing the vikes have done so far...we upgraded at every position in free agency so far.

berrian is a huge pick up for the vikes don't try to kid yourself..he's a downfield threat that demands attention or else you get burned....he was basically the only thing on the bears offense you had to worry about.

now for the vikes it's the opposite...all you have to worry about is the running game....i think berrian is gonna like that idea. if you wanna stack the box and leave single coverage on berrian and rice your gonna pay if t-jack continues to progress like he has been. throw bobby in the slot and we got a decent wr core.

signing berrian opens up alot for everyone...bobby wade doesn't have to be our #1...rice will get less attention his way....he'll take another person out of the box for AP.

here's some stats i like on the guy....he's young...he's fast...he hasn't even hit his prime.

his career avg catch is 14.6 yds...last yr 47 out of his 71 catches were for 1st downs....unlike chicago we don't need to depend on him like they did.....go vikes...nice pickup!

Free agency update in relation to the vikings:

Mewelde Moore has signed with Pittsburgh to back up Willie Parker.

Calvin Pace to the Jets - possible DE/LB hybrid.

M. Hicks - is at winter park.

Antwan Odom - DE signs with the Bengals.

No pressure to get a backup QB - T-Jack is the guy so get use to him!

It sounds like a Defensive end will be landed yet in free agency among other parts here and there on the squad.