• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

What's more important? Weight or length

Slyster

I think around these parts and healthy fish with any length to it is going to be carrying a fair amount of weight. I do notice that a lot of the southern fish they catch on TV have some good length to them but carry almost no weight. I go by length just because I don't carry a scale with me. From there it's either just a 22 or a fat 22, the pictures will speak well enough for the fishes weight if you have the length.

Factor in the type of fish. Florida strains are long fish. A 3 lb Florida strain might be much longer than a Northern strain.

Additionally, length doesn't factor in the affects of current season. Post spawn skinny fish vs. feeding up for winter fall fish. But on the adverse side, those who like the length side will say that the same skinny fish in the spring is the same length as it will be in the fall (possibly has grown some).

Along DD's comment, what about a fish missing part of it's tail, or a deformed mouth?

This discussion could go on and on. \:\)

Originally Posted By: Deitz Dittrich
part of the problem with length... People dont measure the same... The exact same fish can be easily 1-2" different depending on who measure is.. mouth open, mouth closed.. with a tape measure or bump board? I think scales are more accurate than measurements.

Mouth closed tail pinched, just like it says in the regs book, also needs to be on a bump board or the length aint worth nothing. I have seen lots of pics with fish next to tapes claiming 22-24"es and the fish starts at 1 or 1.5"es and the mouth is open, the lower lip extended on a largemouth gives you another 1" to 2"es easy!

I asked this because I faced a dilemma after reading the 'What do you consider a big smallmouth' thread. My largest smallie was great measured by length.. but not as good measured by weight. 23 1/4 inches.. but only 5Lb 4 Oz.. even though it was excellent considering the length.. many have caught better as measured by weight. Either way that was a FUN fish to haul in and it was really tasty too!

(JK... I don't ever eat bass!) Thanks for the discussion.. very interesting comments. I am now thinking Lbs. is overall the 'big deal' when it comes to trophy smallies.

I personally go by length for the most part. You can catch the exact same big bass in the summer and then again in the winter and it will weigh quite a bit different. But, in my eyes, still a trophy fish....no matter what season. Weight really doesn't mean much to me. What if you catch a pig a few hours after she ate a whole belly full of shad or shiners? Does that make it any more a trophy than if you would have caught her prior to her morning feast? Inches however are a constant. She can't gain an inch a day or a few hours before you land her.

I just got the replica back a week ago of this pig 22 inch largie. Not sure of the weight. Coulda been 6.5, coulda been well over 7. Fact is, I really don;t care....It looks amazing on my wall! grin.gif

scan.jpg

I actually caught her while I was out muskie fishing for the first time. She "inhaled" a 7 inch black and red inhaler in-line spinnerbait with a chrome blade.

A half hour later I caught my first ski! Pretty good outing!

I usually just take a quick measurement and get the fish back off swimming rather than weigh the fish. The only time I consistently weighed fish was when we had a tournament with some guys from work a couple of years back.

Originally Posted By: TurnUpTheFishing
 Originally Posted By: Green Diver
that fish is closer to 4 1/2 to 5 lb i would think.

Joking? A 22" LM with a gut like that was would be 6lbs. easy.

So weight is important. Clearly that fish is larger than I stated. Point made. \:D\:D

yea a fish that had just got done spawning going to weight alot different then if it is the fall when theyhave the feedbags on.

In a tournament I say weight, just fun fishing I go with length, its alot easier to have a ruler ready then to hook them up to a scale and wait for it to read.

A ruler is a lot easier.

I have set personal goals to try to beat. If I beat them they are worthy of a replica in my book.

LGmouth Bass 22"

SMmouth Bass 21"

Walleye 30"

Pike 40"

and Muskie 50"