• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Spring Bobbers

tview

The Frabill spring bobber works well and is cheap. But because of it's design it is a pain to thread the line through the spring (only have to do this occasionally so not a huge deal). The biggest problem I have with it is that when cold, especially outside, the inside of the spring freezes up to the point it is almost unusable. Works great if you are in a warm shack or it is warm outside.

Just started using the St.Croix - much more expensive because it is built into the Legend rod. Doesn't have any of the problems described with the frabill. Works great. Wish they had longer rod options thant the 24" (really like a 22", I think they include the spring bobber in their measurement).

If you don't have a spring bobber setup in your case, it is definitely a must have (imho). It will detect the slight bite that otherwise might be missed with non-spring bobber rods.

The StCroix ledgend is an awesome set up in the ultra light for pan fish....you can feel a 2 inch perch breath on it! Yes you do have to buy the combo but the rod is just as awesome it has a lot of back bone, and it loads instantly. As far as price, look around i just picked some up for $30 bucks, with 40% off at Gander Mountain...i havent seen any other deals as of yet but ive tired many add on spring bobbers and i havent found yet that mounts perfect, doesnt freeze, and that compliemts the rod as well as the ledgend combo does.

NCLaker,

I own a couple Frabill’s and I have run into the same issues. They where cheap and you get what you pay for. I have caught fish on them, but will not be purchasing any more in future. On my perch spring bobber (26”) Frabill, I took the spring bobber right off.

I will how ever be purchasing Thorn Brothers spring bobber rod’s this summer.

Frabill springs are okay. I used them quite a while with the only problem being freezing up fishing outside the shack. I picked up the Jason Mitchell spring bobber rod and really like it. It's wide open and won't freeze up.

I have a St. Croix and a Thorne Bros. They both are awesome. I love using the spring bobber. Can't tell you how many times this year they got me more fish because of the light bite. Also, they have an item at thorne for $1.50 to help thread them. Well worth the money.

So here is a question for your experienced spring users ...

I use mine primarily for panfish (especially Crappies & perch). How often do you really need a spring bobber if fishing for Walleye??

Just curious cause I bought a light action St. Croix legend for kinda an all-around rod for sunny/crappie/perch. Since I have this obsession with buying more fishing stuff - I am trying to determine if I need something like a medium action spring bob rod.

JASON MITCHELL!!!!!

Take a look at his spring bobber rod, you wont be disappointed. I purchased one and love it. It has a very unique style of wire, basically a loop with an indicator, the eye that the line passes thru is large enough to prevent freezing up. It has enough sensitivity to detect a light light bite, but not so much that you lose the strength needed to really have some control over your presentation.

I also like the St Croix design, and have modified a couple rods to incorporate their spring system. But, if you just want a rod, (not the combo) and also want it to be able to have a decent presentation, especially with a little larger bait, definately check out Jason's spring bobber rod.

(I have the standard version, but he makes one called the Trap Series which has smaller guides for inside use)

I used my Jason Mitchell "Meat Stick" for the 1st time this weekend and I was impressed on the crappie/gill bites I could feel without the use of a spring bobber. I was so impressed Im going to order several more and maybe some od Jasons spring bobber rods.

I have a couple spring bobber designs I use and the Croix is the best I have tried. I liked the looks of the TB ones as well but havent used them.

If you like to make your own rods there are blanks out there that are just as sensitive as a spring bobber. Mine is a St.Croix blank that is solid graphite but the tip is so light i had to use a 1 wt. fly rod tip. The hook-set is still great for pannies. This is a cheap alternative to buying a pre-made custom rod.

I have used most of the spring bobber offerings.The Thorne Bros. spring bobber is all I use now.I have three of the TB spring bobbers on three TB panfish rods.The light bobbing action that is imparted on a jig while holding the rod still, drives the fish absolutely nuts.