• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Redtail hawk over Rabbit

Those are some incredible behavioral shots. How did you manage to keep from spooking it? Were you just driving along a country road and saw him sitting there, or were you using a blind of some sort? I've seen plenty of hawks in my days, but by the time I get the lens out the window, they're gone. Maybe you know hypnosis? \:\) There must be a trick that I need to learn.

Great shots not only is the capture cool but your photography skills took full advantage. I have found that the Redtails are hard to approach also, but remember that the closest I have ever gotten to one was when is was finishing up an old duck carcass. Maybe they lose a little caution when they need to eat.

They also seem to like to watch cars on the highway or so it seems, but when you stop near them they spook. Anyhow I enjoy your posts.

Those are awesome shots. Ditto on what Mike (x-tackleman) said...how did you get these shots? Blind? Happen to see it along the road?

Noticed that you were using 300mm lens. Are those f 2.8 300mm prime or the f/4.0 300mm prime? With the 1.4 Extender...Wow...if you were using the f 2.8 300mm lens that would make it a 420mm f4 IS lens! Wow!

If you were using the 300m f/4.0 did the 1.4xx decreases/narrows your lens' aperture setting by 1 stop? The lens aperture still opens to the same width, but the ratio of the aperture opening to the focal length is reduced - by 1 stop. Isn't that right?

I've been thinking about getting an Extender. Not sure wether to get a 1.4x II or 2xII.

The problem with the 2xII is that 2x decreases/narrows your lens' aperture setting by 2 stops. The lens aperture still opens to the same width, but the ratio of the aperture opening to the focal length is reduced - by 2 stops.

What I have in my big lens gear is canon EF 70-200mm f2.8 L and EF 100-400mm f4.5-5.6 L IS lens. I've wondered if the 100-400 wouldn't work that well with the extender? Do you have any experience with that set up? If so can you tell me your experiences with them? Any info would be greatly appreciated. Want to buy one but I wanted to know more about it before I spend any more money!

Thanks, and a heck of a shot man! Thats very sharp!

Buzz shoots Nikon, Marc, but I shoot the Canon 30D and 100-400L IS most of the time.

Either extender will prevent autofocus from working on that lens unless you're using a "1" series body, because non "1" bodies only will autofocus a lens/combo that has a native max aperture of f5.6 or wider, and with TCs you're up to f8 or f11, depending on which TC is used. The "1" series will autofocus combos/lenses like that to f8.

You can tape off a series of three pins on the TC so the camera doesn't recognize the aperture value and will continue to autofocus, but it's much slower, hunts a lot more for focus, and may burn out the the autofocus motor much faster.

I've used both TCs on the 100-400 using manual focus. In very bright light you can retain acceptable sharpness on that lens with the 1.4 TC. In marginal light or with the 2 TC in any light the IQ falls too far off, IMO.

The 70-200 f2.8L is a bit sharper than the 100-400 when shot wide open, and IQ is excellent on that lens with the 1.4 TC and occasionally good with a 2 TC. Autofocus with either TC on that lens is maintained on all Canon DSLR bodies, though any TC addition will cause focus to hunt just a bit more in marginal light, and will somewhat slow down autofocus. The more sophisticated the camera body, the better the autofocus speed and effectiveness.

Steve,

That's good information! Thanks. I didn't know that. I use the Canon 40D. I'm pretty new to this camera. I've only had it a few months.

I've got a lake near by where the eagles are, and my 100-400 is just a tad short, I'd need a extender to get more reach.

I'll probably do some more research on the 1.4 TC. I'll keep you in mind if I have any more questions regarding on the extender. When you mean by "1" series body do you mean by a full frame body camera?

Ditto on Steve's info. Steve shoots the 100-400, and if I remember correctly, he doesn't bother with his 1.4 any more. Couple of things - I have the 70-200 2.8 and have used both extenders on them. The 1.4 works very well. The 2.0 only on bright days when I could shoot very fast with small aperture. The other is that, I know Steve has worked very hard to try to put himself into position to not need an extender. It' almost like honing hunting skills. It all ends up being part of the game of shooting - stealth, camo and understanding your prey (photo subject). The equipment can work well for you, but developing some of those other skills will help you to become even a better photographer as well!

Not necessarily full frame, Marc. The 1D markII, 1D markIIn and 1D Mark III are 1.3 crop bodies. Full frame Canon bodies include the 1Ds MarkII and 1Ds MarkIII. Canon has one full frame body that's not a "1" series. It's the 5D, which falls into the autofocus category of the non-"1" bodies.

I've also gotten very good eagle shots that fill the frame with the 100-400 and the 30D. The 1.6 crop factor on all the Canon bodies other than the 5D and "1" series really gives 400mm a boost to 640mm. Mostly it's a matter of finding eagles in situations where they're a bit closer, and sometimes that requires some travel and a good bit of time to pursue.

Some of the places where eagles stage in winter along the Mississippi offer birds plenty close for your 400mm. Buzz knows some of those locations well and has gotten sweet wild eagle shots with his 300mm/1.4TC, and others here on HSO/FM know them too.

X, Heddon and M-dew,

I use alot of "tricks" to photograph and get close to birds... and sometimes its more than tricks, its luck or a connection. Not to be uncooperative in my answer to you... but if I stated on local forums how and where I get/got all of my images... I will have way too much company or way too many people working the same things I'm working and that won't be any good. I hope you understand and can appreciate my images as they are. \:\)

Here is one I cropped for comp.

93377804.jpg

Mike I think that those are some of the best shots of a Redtail that I have seen and it is mostly your composition that is different from most but great all the same. Please don't every feel bad about keeping trade secrets on how to capture such great images but just keep showing us more so we will feel like we need to get out and take more and better shots.