• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

FL-20 vs LX-5 FACTS ONLY

Spazzums08

Hey guys, I know there are countless threads like this, but I'm hoping to make this one different. Instead of "I switched and I love it!" I'd like "I switched because _____ had this feature and this one doesn't." or instead of "I used it out on Mille Lacs and it was awesome!" "I used it on Mille Lacs and it was awesome because the signal got less interference, the colors were crisper, it had better detection capabilities, etc". I'm selling my FL-18 this year, and wondering which one to get.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally Posted By: Spazzums08
it was awesome because the signal got less interference, the colors were crisper

I have the lx-5 and my dad has a fl-20. He traded his lx-3 in for it and regrets it. You will notice less interference with the marcum a crisper, brighter, and easier to view in the sunlight display on the marcum. Marcums digital charging system is better also. Go some where they have both on display and compare displays I think you'll make up your mind with out thinking to hard. I would say the detection is similar so that shouldn't wave your dedcision.

Head out to any large group of fishermen this weekend and you probably can find many of each and look for yourself. We all love to show off our stuff. both are great, but i like the clarity of the marcums better.

I've fished with an old FL8-SLT for 11 years. Well, it wasn't old 11 years ago. grin.gifgrin.gif

It's two things that have sold me on switching to Marcum, which I have fished with pretty often over the last couple-three years. I should add I've also fished with the latest Vex models.

One is the crisp readout, as mentioned. The other is the lack of interference, also as mentioned. I don't care about zoom or adjustable zoom or any of that, because I fish lakers 90 percent of the time through the ice, and these features don't matter that much when it comes to a fish that aggressive and that willing to launch all the way through the water column.

But if I'm on a hard bottom (that's most of the time laker fishing) and am fishing within 30 yards of someone with a MarCum, I'd best just turn my unit off because the IR can't take care of business and compete with that kind of power output and sonar echoes.

I went from the Vex 8 and 18 to the LX 5 after a friend spent about 1/2 hour in my shack with his. For me the variable zoom, super fine line, and dual 9/20 transducer as well as padded case all out of the box made stepping up an easy choice. For bottom hugging fish I cant imagine how many I missed before. Now that I got most a season on it I wouln't trade it for anything. I only use mine after dark as daytime fishing allows me to sight fish but its made sitting after dark alot more enjoyable.

I am glad I went with a MarCum. Alot more clear than my dads Vex FL-18 (this has been mentioned) but one thing that hasn't is VALUE- My LX2 was $229, and you can get the entry level MarCum for around the same if not less with that rebate. I think FL8s without the bluebox are $275+ if I am not mistaken.

The LX-3 and LX-5 perform in heavy weed cover better than my FL-18. The LX-3 was a bit better but the LX-5 allows you to punch down into thick cover like no unit I have ever seen. It captures the targets without the clutter and gives me the best and cleanest look in the weeds. So much easieer to adjust your presentation and absolutely incredible at helping you pluck the larger fish when the targets are stacked. That 8 deg. (NBT) standard on the LX-5 is simply incredible.

I could always rely on my FL-18 to be reliable & durable. Picked up an LX-3tc to see what a marcum was like - ended up having issues with the gain/sensitivity/interference requiring marcum to fix it. After seeing the numreous posts of other having similar issues, I became very skeptical of marcum's reliabilty/durability (also read other issues with their camera's but no personal experience).

Rather than risking these types of issues upgrading to an LX-5, I decide to go with the the FL-20. Most Vex comments seem to attest Vexilar's lasting reliablity/durabilty. The fact that people are able to sell their 10+ year old vexilars for over $200 seems to support the faith people have in their reliabilty. (IMHO)

Facts only.

Your battery will drain twice as fast using a LX 5 in comparison. My dads 18 lasted 4 days on one 8ah battery. The guy with the LX 5 got about a day off of his battery.

Interference is not a problem with either unit.

Transducers do go bad on Marcum units. More often than Vexs anyway.

Which is quieter?

I'm referring to the noise from the rotating diode. Now that I use a buddy heater and a LED lights that noise pretty noticeable. I have an FL-18 but have never had chance to fish with a LX-5.

Also my buddies have FL-18's and we can fish in the same house without a problem with interference. Will either unit be compatible with your buddies?

Originally Posted By: K Dawg
Facts only.

Your battery will drain twice as fast using a LX 5 in comparison. My dads 18 lasted 4 days on one 8ah battery. The guy with the LX 5 got about a day off of his battery.

No doubt the LX-5 uses more battery power, but I've ran an LX-5 for 2 years now, including and 2 - 4 day long trips to Lake of the Woods. My LX-5 battery lasted the whole trip (not night use though ;\) )

The older LX-3 about 3-4 years ago had a batch of bad transducers that Marcum gladly exchanged. In general, transducers do not go bad in the Marcum units. I've exchanged 3 transducers in my FL-8 over the years....

In eight years I replaced one ducer on an FL8SLT. The cord got froze in more times that I would like to admit. It made a good 40 trips to LOW and a for a couple Winters it was used in the sleeper down here almost every day.

Vexilars have all the case options were you can't get that with Marcum. The Ultra Pack is really a nice case, three of my Vexilars are in them, all with covers.

Almost bought a LX5 last Winter but opted on a FL20 instead and the flat screen sure is nice. Don't think I could look in a tunnel anymore.

One day I may sell off a few Vexilars and get a Marcum though.

I don't have Marcum experience so I can't compare, but waaay back when I bought an FL8. Several years later, the FL8slt came out so I sold the first one to one of my sons. A couple years after the FL18 came out I sold the slt to another son. After years of hard use, all the units are still working fine. My relatives have had me take in units to the service center that were stored in snowbanks or didn't file a flight plan when they left pickups, etc. and the service has been prompt and friendly. They fixed stuff for free that was operator idiocy on units long out of warranty. Good folk.(the women at the front office of the service center can be bribed with chocolate donuts)

Facts only.

Interference is not a problem with either unit.

FACT: I have a 9AH Battery in my LX-5 i have run it solid from Early saturday Morning, all day Saturday, On and Off Thru Saturady Night ( off when I was sleeping) and almost the whole day Sunday. According to the Charge indicator my unit was still putting out 100% power, with abot 20% of battery life left.

This is Based on My own Experience not my Dad's nor his buddies.

Fact: Again on my own Expeience and not second info. I own both a FL-8 and the LX-5. I have never had to replace my Transducer on My LX-5 but I have once on my FL-8. I do not think this attests Anything at All wear and tear is all. LX-5 I have only had for a couple of winters.

Fact: Asked by another poster which is Quieter. Again this is based on my experience between my FL-8 and my LX-5 The LX-5 is way more quiet the the FL-8.

FACT: this again is base om My Personal experience My Brother has a FL-8 and when another FL-8 ( dunno if it is so with the 12, 18, 0r 20) The two can never get a clear signal with out getting interfernce from each other. and they both have the IR buttons. But you can get it cleared enough to use.

The LX-5 and the FL-8 will have interference . more the FL-8 is getting it from the LX-5. But the LX-5 can clear the IR so both units are crystal clear and free of Interfrence. We noticed with Both FL-8's. We even noticed that running the 2 FL-8's with the LX-5 the LX-5 could clear up it's screen but both FL-8 units still had Interference. I suspect from each other as stated in first example.

I stress these are based on my own Findings Not hearsay. I have based my OPIONION on my own experiences, for I am never one to go with the flow. The FL-8 has been an Outstanding flasher. it still does a good job. after all Three companies have marketed the product. I have owned my FL-8 for close to 13 years now. I have owned the LX-5 for 2. When i bought the LX-5 I did alot of research. I based my purchase on Fact not emotion. The fact is Vexilar flashers are dated. They need to step/ catch up with the technology that Marcum has.

This arguement has been going on for years now. To some it's Chevy vs Ford arguement. I do not base my purchase's Solely on brand name. I do consider a product because of it's reputation. But I also do My own research.

I think if you Honestly with out emotion Take and comapre Vexilar with Marcum you will see that Marcum makes a More updated, and better Product.

As far as noise is concerned. The Marcum in it's case is basically silent. A few of us went to red and rented a large shack last season. Three of us had marcums and one had the old fl-8. That Fl-8 was so loud and annoying all of us were complaining. I know that vex does make that sort of cover for the vexilars. I am guessing if you put a vexilar in one of those cases, it would be pretty quiet too.

Esox, I'm talking a full day, 12 hours of fishing. Not every other weekend for a couple hours.

I have near 40 days on the ice this year hardley an every other weekend angler. My normal day during walleye season is 5am till 9 pm. I charge my LX sometimes only every other weekend, as far as daytime use I fish gin clear water so sight fishing is the norm. Your welcome to fish with me any day if you think you can hang.

I have had a FL-20 for a year now and I have had no problems with it. Interference is easily eliminated by hitting the interference rejection button. I have fished in shacks with other vexilars and marcum flashers without a problem. The flat screen is easy to see and has good color quality. The FL-20 also has a lower power option for heavy cover, although I have never had to use it. It also has a zoom feature, like most flashers. I think both units are worth there money they will help you catch a lot more fish and determine how the fish are behaving. I don't know which one is better but having one or another is must for a serious ice fisherman. Personally I like vexilar products just because I am familar with them and have never had a problem with them. The older models had problems with interference but the FL-20 has 10 channels of wave frequency so it elimainates interference. My father and I fish in the same shack with FL-20's and we dont have interference problems after changing channels. I don't think you could go wrong purchasing either one.

I have used and owned both companies flashers and they all have worked very good for me. I usually can always clean up all the interference on both models. I believe we need to purchase what fits each persons type fishing. Nothing wrong with reasearching the options and picking out the one that fits the bill for you.

I don't think you can go wrong with either unit. I had a FL20 ordered, but I cancelled it and picked up a LX-5 because of the super crisp display, target separation, dual tranducer, charging system, case, adjustable zoom, and IR ability...in that order. I also had in the back of my head that the Vex is 1989 technology (think Apple IIe). As a basic function the Vexilar and Marcum both show you the same thing as far as what is going on below the ice. Once I added up the extras that the Marcum came with over the Vex it was a way better value for me personally.

If I were going to get anything besides the LX5, I would get the FL18. All the Vex units have same 400 watts of power they have always had, but the 18/20 have the zoom. I don't feel that there is enough value added to justify the cost of the 20 over the 18.

All that said, you'll be happy with anything you buy, and you'll catch way more fish than if you didn't have one.

I have an LX5 and love it. But when using it next to an FL20 for an entire weekend (yes, they got along PERFECTLY), I did like the flat face on the FL20. That would not make me trade my LX5, but is one feature I wish the LX5 had. I also like the fact that you can dim the FL20 at night, the LX5 is so bright. But I still vote LX5 for the other features. Both nice units.

LX-5 has a dual beam transduer

LX-5 has more watts of power.

LX-5 has a cripser display

LX-5 has adjustable zoom

LX-5 has super fine line

LX-5 retails at 479.00

FL-20 has a flat screen

FL-20 has a low power setting

FL-20 has a night and day mode

FL-20 retails at 489.00

You make the decision. You wanted facts, those are the facts, facts don't include opinions so I will not give mine.

Originally Posted By: Willy
LX-5 has a dual beam transduer

LX-5 has more watts of power.

LX-5 has a cripser display

LX-5 has adjustable zoom

LX-5 has super fine line

LX-5 retails at 479.00

FL-20 has a flat screen

FL-20 has a low power setting

FL-20 has a night and day mode

FL-20 retails at 489.00

You make the decision. You wanted facts, those are the facts, facts don't include opinions so I will not give mine.

Vexilar too has a dual-beam transducer. You can pick up an FL-20 for 459.00 too.