• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Selecting the Right Rod

I plan on buying a few new ice rods this year and I'm just curious of everyone elses opinions regarding homemade rods, custom rods, brand name rods, etc.

I built a walleye rod last winter out of the top section of a broken open water rod. Went out and bought a cork handle, guides, the whole works. The rod works pretty good.

I also use Thorne Bros, Genz Rods, HT, noodle rods, dead sticks, bait casters, the list goes on and on.

Is there a certain brand/make of rod that you use for a certain type of fish? (ie: Genz Rod for gills, Thorne Bros for walleye, maybe the opposite) What action?

For those who use hand made rods, what type of fish do you use them for? Action?

I'm a big crappie and gill guy when it comes to ice fishing. I've had a lot of success with the Genz Rods as of late. Any other thoughts?

Just getting the itch and thought I'd get a jump start on things before the ice fishing shows begin.

Soon the excellent fall fishing will lead into those first ice outtings.

Good Fishin,
Matt

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good question Matt. I'd like to hear more too. I have several (cheap) ice rods from a variety of manufacturers and I fished with a buddy for lakers who used his baitcasters which were around 6 feet long. He'd drill three holes; two at around rod's length and 150 degrees apart and the third between his outstretched legs for the depth finder. He never has used a shelter save for his canoe seat pad with backrest and occasionally on a windy day, a tarp. Claims he never saw the need to use specific ice fishing rods. Mind you, he has only fished for lake trout through the ice and I often fish for perch and rainbows. I felt a lot more bites than him but he filleted all but one of the fish he had on. I didn't bring any to the ice and think it was because I hadn't sharpened my jigs. I can hardly wait for ice to test my theory! He thought it was because of my short rods.

Kevin

MJ5, I think that thorne bros makes the nicest rods. But, for the price they ask it makes it difficult to make your whole collection thorne bros. I have been buying one a year for the last four years and my collection is really coming together nicely. The rest of my rods are genz or the yads. One item that I do enjoy alot is the thorne bros dead stick. I use that all the time walleye fishing. I also get a lot of use out of my 24" panfish rod. It has a faster action but still manages two or three pound test very nicely.

I was at the gander mtn. at Forest Lake last week and saw that st.croix has come out with new ice rods this year. The premier series. $20 bucks a piece. Not bad, I did notice some big flat spots when I bent the rod over but for $20 dollars I think the rod is worth it. I do like the genz rods better.

The Thorne Bros. rods are hard to beat for sure. I have a couple of Genz rods that are ok. I have caught a lot of fish with them.

Some of the CNY guys turned me on to YAD rods a couple of years ago, and they are hard to beat for the $$$. Gander Mountain markets them under the First Ice logo.

Gissert,
I bought a First Ice rod from Gander a few years back and use if for walleye/pike occationally. Kinda stiff but it works. Haven't used it too much lately. Is there a new line of YAD rods this year? Or have they changed since a few years ago? I'm interested in checking them out, I've heard a lot about them but haven't seen any of the more recent models.

Good Fishin,
Matt

I cant bring myself tp pay the $ for a Thorne Brothers although they are nice. I have a lot of rods and I like certain ones for certain uses. The Frabils are nice this year and the St.Croix is well priced but not the quality I expect from St.Croix. Yads are great for the $ and some Genz rods are nice. 1st ice are ok too.

Since I am left handed, I prefer to look and choose the left not the right rod for ice fishing!lol

I have come to like lionger rids for ice fishing, not only for action, hook-set, but for comfort. Ya don't have to lurch over the hole with a longer rod!

As with regular fishing rods the majority of the action is located in the top 1/3 of the rod. I guess you can tune in to the quality, scrim and levels of modulus of the graphite incorporated into your rod, but that doesn't always fit each individuals needs and like.

A lot of my ice fishng rods are simply scaled down versions of my open water rods. I like fast action tips, softer for pannies and bit more reactive for walleyes and fairly stiff for the larger predators like "jacks" , lakers etc.

Unfortunately you can only be the judge for yourself. I like cheap stuff and I like expensive stuff, but for ice fishing so far(FOR ME), custom made rods have been it.

Gonna freeze tonight in SE MN, a sign for sure!

Jim W

I'd have to second the vote for Thorne Bros. Dead Stick. I have the 28" and I use it on LOW for walleyes and URL for crappies.... very nice rod!!! That soft tip lets you know if they are breathing on your bait. I would diffenately purchase from them again. I'm looking to pick up one of their rods as a gift for my best man.

Schuler,
Welcome to FishingMN.

There is a Genz Rod that comes in a baitcaster model that is heavier action. A nice rod. I've also seen a lot of people make their own out of an old open water baitcaster handle and some new parts. I'm sure that Thorne Bros makes one too.

Good Fishin,
Matt

[This message has been edited by MJ5 (edited 09-29-2003).]

Northlander,
I'm kinda in the same boat, or ice house, as you are. Thorne Bros are a little spendy but they do make a great rod. I'm looking forward to the new line of Frabill rods that are out this year. The Amplifier looks interesting. I looked at the St. Croix rods last year and they were pretty nice but I wasn't in the market for a new rod at the time. I like the Genz Rods for panfish and perch. Too many choices out there.

Good Fishin,
Matt

I'm with the GISSERT, I have many Thorne bros rods, but most are 36-48 inch models for lake trout and Pike. I have a few of the YAD rods for gills and eyes. These rods will match every quality of the Thorne bros. rods. The only difference is the price.

Has anyone tried the Cabela's XML ice fishing rod? I saw it a couple weeks ago at Cabelas. $40. Also, what would you recommend for an ice fishing reel for crappie and gills? Nothing too expensive...Thanks.

The Tiny-20 reel is pretty nice as well as several ultra-lite quantums. I found a Browning reel last winter that I've been using. I forget the exact model but I'll take a look next time I'm back home and let you know. There are a lot of cheaper reels out there that work just as good too. I have a lot of $10 reels on some of my rods that I swear feel like a $40 reel. Just personal preference I guess.

Good Fishin,
Matt

Another good reel is the silstar ice bonz. Its only $10 or so, but the drag is incredibly smooth. I've got a new gander mountain reel with 5 bb thats sopposidly made by tica and the drag isn't as smooth.

------------------
-Zach Schuler

Any of you use a light action YAD rod for panfish? How well does it handle the line? Tip senstive enough to detect the very light bites?
As for going for a custom rod I might try purchasing one of Rod Engel's customs. Their has been a few on this site who have purchased and all seem to be very pleased.

I've been using Genz rods for the most part. I think they are a good value, with nice ations and big guides. I bought one of the St Croix's late last year, so I haven't used it enough to decide if I like it. I bought one of the First Ice rods from Gander 2 years ago. I liked the action of the rod, but the guides used on it are too small-they ice up badly. HT makes some cheap noodle rods that are decent for deadsticking.
I've been trying to talk myself into the Thorne Bros rods, but it's hard when they're $60 each. I think it's important to have a full quiver of rods, and I get 3 Genz rods for the price of one Thorne. But now that I have a selection of rods, I am going to blow my rod budget for the year on a Thorne Bros deadstick and give it a try.

What ever your choice is it should have a strike indicator(spring bobber). I bought a pro model last year that is no longer in production and I was outfishing the guides I was with. I use 2lb. Florocarbon line for perch and 4 for walleye. In a couple of years you will see a major manufacturer with the style of rod I am useing. It will become the future for ice rods. This style is already being used overseas by the best ice fisherman. When it comes to ice rod in the USA we are behind on the times. This will all change in a couple of years. Good Luck this ice season. Fish On

Can you send us a picture of this rod bhorn? I am not quite sure what this is. Spring bobbers are quite common place in minnesota and deadsticks (rods with spring bobber like qualities already built in) are used quite a bit also.

[This message has been edited by Seabass77 (edited 10-03-2003).]

[This message has been edited by Seabass77 (edited 10-03-2003).]

For the money the Genz Rods are the best buy. They are a fairly good rod, with good sensativity, good back bone and nice size eyes.

At first glance the YAD seems like a pretty good rod until you actually use it and find out the guides are not functional in cold weather.

I will be doing to experimenting with St. Croix rods this year as well as some custom rods. I will report back. As for right now, My two ice bags are full of Genz rods. I have tried just about everything out there.

------------------
Mille Lacs Guide Service
www.millelacsguideservice.com

saugydoggy,
I also like the HT noodle rods for deadsticking. Hook sets are a little tough at times but still gets the job done.

I have several Genz Rods as well. I've use both Thorne Bros and Genz Rods and I think that the Genz Rods are comparable at a lesser price. I own one 24 inch light action, 2 28 inch light action, one 29 inch medium light action, and one 30 inch medium action Genz Rods. I really like them for panfish and perch. Thorne Bros makes a nice walleye rod and deadstick. I like both Thorne Bros and Genz, but at half the price I find my way towards Genz Rods.

The baitcaster model Genz Rod is pretty nice too when fishing for pike, lakers, and those big eelpout. wink.gif

Good Fishin,
Matt

[email protected]