• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Getting Started.............3 1/2 months early.

Sinker

Some people probably think I'm nuts but today I took my portable one-man flip over shelter and power auger down from the garage rafters.There's some repairs and tinkering I knew I wanted to do on both so I figured do it now and there will be less to get ready when the ice does come.Anyway, I know I'm not alone.Take it easy.

I got my stuff out a week ago.I cant wait!! I have alot of ideas for my portable so I figured I'll start now and get it done the way I want it the first time smile.gif Glad to see I'm not the only one! I thought I was losing it grin.gif

Have Fun Guys!

IceC

------------------
Have an Ice day :)

You guys are not alone. I have started to organize my fishing tackle bag for ice fishing, recently bought a GPS (Garmin etrex vista, Lake Master software, and topo maps for the garmin unit), and spooled my ice fishing rod for next year. I am now looking for a underwater camera to buy. That ends up being a lot of money spent for something not being used until the winter. Pathetic, but I just recently graduated from nursing school and have alot more money to burn with the new job. Fish on!!!

Oh I left one thing out. Upon accepting my job at Abbott NW Hospital, I only agreed to get hired working 3 days a week, 12 hour shifts, with four days off for the sole purpose of being able to fish those four days, well maybe a couple of days will be used for hunting. Gotta love the fishin!!
Dan

Yup, I have been doing the same thing. I just put new line on the rods, charged up the Vex and cleaned up the fish house. My soon to be wife caught me just day dreaming in the fish house just the other day....she thinks I am nuts...and no one else would be doing the same....I am glad to see others have the same sickness.......ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Wow, now I do feel better! The fear that the men in white suits will come and take me away is fading.You dudes really are getting ready.Spooling ice fishing reels with line? Sweet! Lights,seats,GPS's,underwater cameras? I love it! I think I really like ice fishing in a big way because of the solitude.I don't do alot of open water fishing.Plus with the advanced equipment these days,it's very productive.Cant' wait! Take it easy.

Sinker and Cliffy, don't forget about the FishingMinnesota forum get together that we do every year. I was a part of it last year at Phalen lake off Hwy 61 in the burbs of St. Paul and it was fun. Should only get better this year. Keep an eye out on the main metro forum during the winter months where it gets started. God this is pathetic (not really)! I think I need a psych eval.
Fish on! Dan

OK, I admit it, I too sit in my tent daydreaming and thinking of ideas smile.gif

I got my Marcum charged,poles ready,and a foil blanket ceiling installed. I'm currently trying to figure out a lighting system. I want to have the lights mounted to the tent with the wiring running through the poles to an on/off switch,powered by a vex battery. And I was thinking of getting a basket,line it with foam so my flasher fits snuggly in to take some of the shock out of the ride grin.gif Plus maybe a few other things?? grin.gif

IceC

------------------
Have an Ice day :)

You guys are absolutely nuts! You are setting yourselves up for some major psychological problems. I used to do some early prep myself but found it to be alarming to my family. Especially when it was still warm enough to swim in the lakes. You have to wait until the puddles freeze overnight on the street. Then it doesn't seem so crazy. But I have to admit-I looked over my rods hanging in the back hallway the other day! Just a little early to re-spool 'em though! In three months, that stuff will look like a slinky........T

Whoever is reading this stuff has to be nuts also because they and myself are here reading this. I'm always thinking ice fishing but I don't get thing ready until thanksgiving. That when I change reels over to the ice rods etc. I can't get the fish trap down till I store the boat away, no room in the garage. Think I'll watch an ice fishing video.

I also have been getting geared up already. September and October are going to fly by and with the holidays and traveling in Nov. and Dec., now is the best time. I know I was on the ice last year the day before and after Thanksginving. Good luck.

I am glad to hear that I am not the only one with this disease!! I too am getting ready for the Ice Fishing season. Last year I was lining up in July. This year I was already dreaming about it in June!

I have a question.

Where do you get the foil lining for the top of the shack.

Thanks, David

Hey guys you aren't crazy confused.gif It pays to plan ahead. If you need something you have plenty of time to shop around for the best prices smile.gif Not to mention ask a lot of questions about different products.
My bigger retail customers preorder in June to get a better price and a guaranteed delivery date. It also gives me time to make the icesaw instead of a company ordering 200 icesaws and they need them next week.
Say you need an fishhouse being you have extra $$$ to spend so now you can shop around instead of finding out the day shocked.gif before your trip and pay through the nose and maybe get something your not satisfied with. Keep dreaming of ICE & check things out! grin.gifgrin.gif

------------------
http://www.icesaws.com/

Labor Day weekend is always a good time to fire up the auger. The problem is, I still have my extention on it so I was a little out of control in the back yard! Now where could I have put that special allen wrench to get that extention off of there....?!

------------------
Love them 'Pout!

Today's Ray of Hope......
It was 32 degrees in Embarrass this morning.
20 days left before the "possible snow" season.
Todays bummer: It's been a little over four months since I have ice fished. It could be almost that long before I get to do it again.
(I hope not!)

I saw a pickup with an Otter in the back last week. Either he had just bought it or he never got around to taking it out last spring. Whaddya think? Maybe it was one of you guys!!

Careful there T-Bone. I know what you mean and sure hope I don’t get them fish withdrawals myself. I looked at my house just today and I know I want to do some changes to it. One thing I want to do is to add some of them lights like you have in your house. I also want to add them new sled mount Rock-n-Reels to both sides of the 4 man house. That new design is going to work out well.

How do you think them rechargeable 12v power packs would work for powering up the lights and other accessories? I have 3 of them and found they work pretty well in the summer. I even had to jump start my truck one day when I brain farted while working on trailer lights and left the truck lights on. They sure seem to hold a charge well and seem to last a long time but I have not tried them yet in the cold.

Jeff
Scenic Tackle

Jeff......That's a good question. I have looked at those things and wondered if they might be a good alternative to a gel cell. I'm sure someone has tried it already. Maybe someone will see this and give us a little info on how they work in the cold and how long they keep the lights on. I know for sure that the LED lights run forever on a gel cell. I think the Gissert knows where to order those LED light strips on the web. I'm thinking about putting in a 2nd one. I think I have enough light now in there but being able to switch on a 2nd light might come in handy once in awhile, like when you get an eelpout on both rods at the same time!....T

Sounds like an epidemic.But a good one.There's alot worse things a person could be doing with his time.Plus I'm pretty sure that lots of people on here also hunt in the fall so if it's possible to get some of this stuff out of the way now,it won't be such a scramble after deer hunting.I've been there.Take care.

Hi Guys: I just stumbled into this part of FM and I'm getting the bug too. Checked out the KingCROW yesterday and find the Deep Cycle Batteries have gone south. Does any one know if they can be brought back to full strength. They don't seem to hold a charge like they use to. Jeff, haven't heard from you since the get together at my place in June... We'll have to get together later on to do some hard water fishing. How's your son doing, back to school I presume. I usually am up for first ice and then sevral times again when they start driving out with trucks. It won't be long now, I just winterized the SportCRAFT. I did catch and release a 33"er last month. I'll show you the pix next time your over.....Kaz