• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

How much is to much

Ok guys, I'm getting to the point that I'm starting to carry more ice fishing tackle on the ice every year. I don't bring this much stuff with me on the boat for crying out loud. I have to go out and buy myself some kind of ice fishing tackle box that will hold all my litte tackle box's. I have them in a BIG fanny pack right now but with all the tackle, GPS, 2way radio and latern stuff it's just being to much. When is it to much? I was organizing my box and trying to down size my stuff but I just can't leave any of it behind. grin.gif

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been thinking about the same thing all season. I've gone through my stuff over and over. I tell myself "self, you're not bringing all the things you brought last time" but I don't dare leave any of it behind. Every time I drag the shanty out on the ice I'm cursing myself for the weight I'm dragging. The only thing I come up every time I try to eliminate weight is me! I could afford to louse a few pounds.

Lee...you are not alone!

I was thinking of downsizing and well...I can't do it!

I just made purchases of the following:

2 Jason Mitchel Elite Series Ice Rods(2 different)

Custom Jigs and Spins order of a bunch of stuff(tackle storage included)

Last but not least a Thorne Bros. order as well. It is not hard to just go and drop $200 in less than 20 minutes online!

I hope the better half doesn't freak.

It is always easier to ask forgiveness than permission...at least I'm told!

Originally Posted By: Thunderman
You have to mix it up a little thats why I down sized on my hut 3 years ago and it still is to HEAVY whats up with that?

Do I have to tell you pal? Easy.... Kid's downhill ski's \:D Once you have them ski's it will lighten the load so much you'll want to buy more tackle grin.gif

Hi, I'm Ray and I'm an addict. hehehe It's nice to be among your own kind! I keep buying more and can't stop. It's my only vice, I guess. Chef, you're a man after my own heart. Daddy always said, " don't do anything half punked" Wait for next year's orders, I think I have just the fix for you guys!!!

Just got my BP Spring Angler Catalog, let's see what more useless stuff in there I can buy. Actually I am looking for an ultra light perch, spinning rod 5' 6" kind of like Todd's custom built, that baby is sweet. Todd's is so light and the blank in combo with the guides is perfectly matched. Trying to find one close. That's my mission. Springs around the corner...

Who said to much stuff, that's hawg wash!! there is never enough....

I need 300 Jigs and 100 spoons and 200 plastics to look through 30% of the time while i still know i'm gonna tie on the same jig i always do that catches fish 10% of the time, while contemplating which of the 10 rods i'm gonna tie it to 20% of the time, and the other 40% of the time i'm trying to thread 2lb test through a jig eye that's the size of a flies @ss....

In the mean time the rod i'm using has been hit 6 times cause i wasn't watching the flasher or the camera that i NEEDED to have to catch fish !!!

So then the 6 cups of coffee i had to drink to stay awake on the 3 hour drive finally wants to leave me, so i flip the trap up a wind gust grabs it an it sails down the ice flip rods and jigs and my gear everywhere and in every hole it passes down the lake..... and me still getting rid of coffee, stumbling and falling trying to catch up to it....

So after i get home that night and unpack the torn to shreds Trap the 3 broken rods i could find and two jigs...

I pick up the 15 catalogs I have and start a list of the only the "essential" things i'll need by the end of the week to go Ice fishing again

What a Great Sport!!

Too much comes down to "need" and "want"...

Heres a pict of what I bring jig wise and what Tank brings jig wise.

I have a dry box filled to the gills with a few thousand(atleast its organized)jigs. Tank carries one box that might have a few hundred. Once in a while he swipes something from my collection but never "needs" anything else...

p1300259nn8.jpg

Everything out of the box...

p1300261ww0.jpg

When loading the traps in the jeep his is noticably probably 25 pounds lighter and at the end of the day our buckets usually weight real close to the same...

I may be out of controll with the jigs but got the rods limited. Theres a few dozen at the house but I only bring 4 no matter what. Two each in a ready-rigs...

That's a big box you got there DC. What Trap do you have that holds that thing!

I had to buy 3 more small tackle organizers yesterday to accomodate all my purchases recently.

DC...let me ask you a question?

I just bought 2 Jason Mitchel Elite series Rods. 1 24inch Spring Bobber and the 28inch Perch Rod. Are they a good rod?

Todd had said on the phone last night that Timmy bought a few and put them in the cellar because he doesn't like them. Do you know anything about them. From what I heard they are real nice!

Thanks DC for listening...I just want some reassurance after spending $70 bones on 2 Ice Rods.

I have two the panfish spring bobber rod you ordered and the light walleye. I like the light walleye rod and the meat stick is probably the best out of the group from the reviews I have seen. That being said Doug if you like the panfish spring bobber rod when you get it don't order another I'll give you one. \:\)

Getting Dark Cloud's opinion, you have indeed asked the rod authority in my book for both open and ice water rod's. Jay know's his stuff. I can tell you his custom rods are some of the finest rods I have owned and I have two and there both the best for me. Another great rod was the Gander Guide series sticks that were available a couple years back, great bang for the buck.

Jay's rods are light, sensitive, glass and have enough backbone to get the job done. If he had the backing I believe his rod's would be at the top of the ice fishing heap.. Just lucky to be his friend... He taught me that anything can be built if you have the right blank grin.gifand light weight single foot fly guides are a must.