• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Photo of the day.

As Mike said, we met up at lunch today. He's not a bad guy, even if he does shoot the lowly Nikon. ;\) We didn't get to spend a lot of time together today. I wasted my afternoon by running down to Henderson, a little before 2:00. I received an email stating there were tons of eagles hanging around just south of town, by Buck Lake. What a joke. The lake is solidly frozen and nary a bird in sight. However, I did go for a nice long walk in the woods, along the MN river.

Today, I just couldn't get a good eagle portrait. They were always in a tree with branches in front. When I finally did get one to present itself, my camera refused to focus on him. It acted like it was locking in, but it was still blurry. I don't know if it got too cold, while I was standing outside with it. It was only about 5 degrees. Later in the day, it worked fine.

Anyway, here is my photo of the day! Mike is better looking than I expected. grin.gif

2224220777_76c6670283_o.jpg

Not real exciting, but certainly cooperative.

2225013032_6f2046642b_o.jpg

2225013328_81180e51b8_o.jpg

My personal fave. It flew right over the top of me. I got so excited, I was afraid I didn't give the focus time to lock in.

2224221001_04d9e22cc8_o.jpg

Hey X, those last 3 are great shots. I'd throw that first one in the recycle bin though! That last one is really really nice!

It was good to meet you, we'll have to do that again sometime. Maybe I can talk you into getting a good quality Nikon!

I figured out my focus problem. It was bugging me last night while I was trying to get to sleep. I remember reading that if the AF isn't working well, it could be due to lack of contrast. Well, I'd try to focus on the white head of the eagle and at the same time, the sky was white behind him. No contrast there. In hind sight, I could have tried manual focusing or I could have stopped the lens down and focused on his chest. Then again, branches were in front and back every time I saw one close enough, so I still wouldn't have ended up with a keeper. But, at least next time, I'll be better prepared if the opportunity arises.

Mike, the head also is a pretty small object to try to keep your focus point locked on. In Al servo, drift off even the slightest bit and it'll lose focus.

When shooting eagles sideways or quartering toward me, I lock either on the bird's flank (in sideways shots) or the joint of the shoulder/leading edge of the wing closest to me in quartering shots. Because they tend to be at a pretty decently far distance with 400mm, DOF is deeper and the head usually is nicely in focus with your lens at f8. Not always, but usually.