• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Opinion on sleds

outdoor ran

Hey guys, I've been out of the snowmobile loop for a long time. I'm thinking about buying a used sled for ice fishing. Heres a couple of sleds I want to run by yas. First off whats the good and bad things about a sled with reverse? With my trailer I need something to back off of it.

These two sleds have peeked my interest at a dealership so I'm sure they want more then there worth. lets here some good and bad things about these 2. Thanks for any advice.

2000 Artic cat pantera 580 (1900 miles) with eletric start, reverse, lq, for $3200

2000 artic cat 550zl (1900 miles) eletric start, reverse - $2800

Originally Posted By: outdoor ran
Hey guys, I've been out of the snowmobile loop for a long time. I'm thinking about buying a used sled for ice fishing. Heres a couple of sleds I want to run by yas. First off whats the good and bad things about a sled with reverse? With my trailer I need something to back off of it.

These two sleds have peeked my interest at a dealership so I'm sure they want more then there worth. lets here some good and bad things about these 2. Thanks for any advice.

2000 Artic cat pantera 580 (1900 miles) with eletric start, reverse, lq, for $3200

2000 artic cat 550zl (1900 miles) eletric start, reverse - $2800

Pantera will give you a great ride and ok power,, but is a tank,, shes heavy

That littlie ZL is a nice light trail/ditch banger, with plenty of power..

I have a buddy owns both sleds ,,He only bought the Pantera for his Lady to ride,,,, The comment I made are his since I ride Polaris

I concur with the other replies regarding the specific sleds and prices. You asked pros and cons about reverse: IMO, definitely worth the money. Beats the heck outta having to drag it backwards off the trailer, out of the garage, etc. As far as cons, about all I can come up with is the addition of some weight unless you're looking at a sled with the newer trick electronic reverse. It's not that much weight and really only noticeable to riders are performance oriented.

Thanks for the input guys. I was afraid that they were way over priced. Any more feed back on the sleds themseves? I have no brand preference, who makes a good 2 up with reverse? Any older machines or years a person should avoid?

Ran e-mail me. I have seen some sleds in the mid 90's with reverse for less. You may have to travel a few miles but I think they would be well worth it.

I couldnt afford a sled with revers now but my next sled will be a 2 up with reverse for sure.

Dragging a sled off a trailer sucks!

I bought a sled this year and went with a '02 Polaris 500 Touring Classic. It's a 2 up and has all the bells and whistles of a touring sled.

I don't remember exactly, but it was approx $2500.

So far I'm very pleased with the ride and performance. Most of the times I've had it out there's either been a fishing partner or my wife on back.

I wouldn't mind a little more top end, but it gets me there plenty fast.

And I don't think I'd ever buy another without reverse.