• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Battery life?

Dozer

How much life does everyone useually got out of there wheeler battery? Mine is 2years old and getting weak I think. Had to jump it off the fishhouse last night, -7 out but still. I have a 11.1 piston in it so it turns over pretty hard and I have a plow so thats hard on them and I do ALOT of mudding in the summer so the winch gets a workout there too. Guess I just have to plan on buying a new battery everyother year! \:D

I got 4 years out of my 98 Grizzly, and going on over 2 years with my 05 Kingquad 700. I also plow alot, and like to play in the mud too. If you use your wheeler alot, as in every other day or so, I think you'll get more life out of your battery. Otherwise run a battery tender on it for more longevity.

I agree with jltimm.

They just said on the news yesterday, It takes a vehicle battery an hour to fully recharge in this weather. Most people just don't drive their atv's enough. kepping them in a warm garage or a battery tender will help alot.

Hard to believe, but I'm still on my original 2000 Honda Foreman battery. 870 hours on the meter. grin.gif Winch used all winter for plowing a lot of snow. I thought it died for good a couple years ago, but I gave it a good, slow charge and it's still going... Knock on wood!

Original battery for me too on my 02 Honda Foreman. 750 hours and 6700 miles and (knock on wood) she hasn't blinked yet. My 98 was at over 800 hours when I sold it to a buddy and that still had the original too.

I agree with "the more you use it, the longer it lasts" theory.

Its worked well for me over the years! I better keep doing it! ;\)

In the summer it atleast once everyother weekend but in the winter atleast 5 days a week going fishing. I let it run alot to warm up and just to recharge and also put the charger on after plowing alot or just once in a while but maybe turning that 11.1 over is just takes so much out of it it cant recover! \:D I had the charger on last night after I got it home after it wouldnt start and it started fine tonite after fishing but I wasnt near as cold tonite as last. Just have to keep the jumpers in the box and dont worry about it! cool.gif

Most ATVs hsve a pretty weak charging system and need to be run a higher RPMs in order to charge very much. Idling isn't charging the battery very much.

Also starting batteries aren't made to be drained and charged back up like a deep cycle. If you run one dead, or very low, more than a couple times they are about shot.

I just replaced the original battery in my 02 Sportsman. I think the problem I had was that the wheeler sat the last part of the summer and all fall without being ridden. When I went to start it to put it on the trailer to take it out on first ice it was dead.

I have a 02 grizz, and still have the same battery. like said, you must start and let it run to charge the battery every now and then if not used. I had no problems starting in cold weather to go fishing this week.

like boat batterys, I store them inside to keep them charged through the offseason, and they work for many years.

its mostly the maintaince that you keep.

On my stolen 700 Pol no efi I got about two years out of the battery. On my 800 Pol efi I got a year in a half out of the battery. It was parked and not touched for over 6 months which may have had something to do with it. It's an 06 with a whopping 130 miles. Used mostly for ice fishing.

When the 02 700 was stolen in 06 it had 1,100 miles.