• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Rock 'n Reel Review

I just finished a new prototype unit after hearing that the stand alone units needed to be taller. The original ones were taller than the ones that were available this past winter and from what I'm hearing, that's what people want. I'd appreciate any feedback on either the tub mounted ones or the stand alones so I can improve the product even more. Thanks.

TBone, the stand along unit I have could really use a different surface on the bottom of it. When fishing outside on warmer days the Rock N' Reel tends to slide around and not want to stay put. Just a little bit of traction down there would realy help it stay put.

I liked everything else about the unit!

T-Bone

I found that tub unit you built to be a very good added tool to my fishing equipment and I can not think of a thing to change on that one. It mounts with ease, folds up out of the way when not in use, and is rugged enough to be placed on the outside of the tub.

The stand alone unit that I have I also found very handy when fishing outside this past winter. Many times this unit detected a bite for me while I was jigging with my second line.

You used both quality components and workmanship in both these units.

Jeff Beckwith
Scenic Tackle

I found yet another use for my stand alone unit.

When I was jigging one pole and not deadsticking another, I would loop my transducer cable over the peg. When I would get a fish on, it was easy to hook the cable with my foot and pop the transducer out of the hole without taking my hands of the reel/pole.

Thanks for the comments guys. I just wanted to make sure the thing was completely what it needs to be......Grabs....I did a little experimenting with the bottom surface problem this past winter. (more than a little actually, I think I fished more this past winter than I ever have before.) Anyhow, your point was well taken. With a plain base (as yours is) I would always set it on a the freshly drilled watery ice chips and pack the stuff around the base. Once it sets up a little, the unit stays put. I also modified one unit with a wood blocks screwed to the base on the bottom. The pieces were just as wide as the base and about 3/4" square. One piece was screwed on about an inch from the front and the other an inch from the back. Once set in the slush, it was pretty much immovable. If you ever used the r/r on bare ice, you'd need some sort of sharp studs protruding from the bottom to keep it in place. Realistically, all of those bases can't be covered but modifications of that type could be made by individual owners. If you are like me, if you can't purchase exactly what you want, you make it yourself right?.....T

TBone......
Just throwing an idea your way, how about adding a pivot somehow to the tub models. Then you would not have to worry if the holes that you augered were a little off center from the Rock 'n Reel.

For the stand alone units, I have liked the option of moving the rod out of the groove and onto the peg for super sensitivity, I can tell when the minnow flares its gills in this mode. wink.gif I don't know if this was an issue on the recent production models, but the original was the perfect height and width.

Duffman......I know what you're talking about. There was more than one time this past season where I had to fish with the line at one side of the hole or other due to mis-drilled holes. But usually I just move the shelter a little and I always use a stand alone in the 2nd hole anyway. I have it pointed at the hole that's not in front of me at a 45 deg. angle usually. Makes it easier when fishing alone. And yes, setting the rod on the peg out of the slot makes for a super sensitive strike indicator. I didn't know anyone else had tried it. Incorporating a pivot on the tub mounted ones might require excess engineering. Since the tub mount was engineered by Maki, maybe he might have something to say about that.......T

T-Bone

I also liked the original wood height better. As we spoke before this would be good to continue. As far as the tub mounts I only got to use them on the shelters Gissert left me use in Canada. I liked them and just shifted the sled for hole aleinment and used stand alone for other hole. Tub mounts are great.
I agree with Duffman I like to fish off the groove when the bite is light. Nice option.

Don't forget guys, you can put it on the kitchen counter for the summer/fall and hang your bananas from it..;^)..It'll keep your mind on ice fishing like mine is all year......T

• we are 'the leading edge' HSO Creators

You're welcome Derek,

I bought one for ya. They were soooo sweet I thought you and Scott really needed to have one so I ponied up and bought one for each of you from wallEYES.

[This message has been edited by Rick (edited 05-04-2003).]

I put some non skid tape,like you put on stairs,on the bottom of my stand alone. This took care of my slipping problems. A little more height would be nice but I set it on top of a Plane box a few times but then that slid. A swivel is a good idea for the tub mount or maybe a sleave it could slide in and lock into place. Maybe with a small thumb screw or something? That way it could go side to side a few inches.

T-BONE
Great product, period. For those of the people who don't have these are missing out. I think the shelter mounts and stand alone units are the cats meow. Good luck with the production this year. If yous need any help you have my number(s).

Hey guys I believe that T-Bone will answer your tub mount issues buy offering the unit in a side swing, or up and down swing model this year. I fish mine side swing and it is very easy to place the rod tip over the center of the hole. If you use a portable the side swinger is the ticket!

t-bone
any chance of getting mount unit from you. read all the good reports, but not sure how to purchase. check by mail maybe. forum says also free standing is 2nd model. could try 1 of each. look for reply in forum. new york guy. thanks

I had a ball playin w/ my rock-n-reel last winter and it paid for itself in measuring crappies on the upbite. I have a tub mount that I just use a vice grip to mount anywhere-on my otter, friends houses or even on my bucket late in the year. It's a great weapon in the arsenal-glad I bought one!
redhooks

Luzerne9n.....(Now, that's an interesting handle!) Stay tuned for what's available later on towards fall. I have a couple of irons in the fire at this time. Some re-tooling going on and such. The product may have some minor improvements due to input from the users. I like hearing what people want. Being able to provide it is a whole 'nother issue!

Redhooks.......Always good to hear from people who get inventive. I even heard from one guy who suspended one near his hole in a permanent shanty. He had a tub mount and attached it to the end of a 2x2 so the rod hung right in front of his chair. I agree-once you learn to read the rod actions like the upwards bite on crappies sometimes, you miss fewer fish. And that's a good thing when you're hungry for a fish dinner and the bite is really negative............T

I have 4 of the tub mounts. Rick bought the first one for me to try and I was sold. They are a great product!!!

I do like the idea of a swivel at the base so you could adjust the angle a little. I realize this would probably by a huge under-taking but would be a nice feature for the future.

Either way they are great units and I wouldn't go without them now. Thanks

------------------
Mille Lacs Guide Service
www.millelacsguideservice.com

How much do the rock 'n reel sell for? I assume that they are available through this site? I just might have to pick up a couple of each. Also T Bone how much are you selling those seats for the otter sleds. I have a magnum sled?

• we are 'the leading edge' HSO Creators

I'll make sure all know when or if it becomes available.

I too end up missing my Rock-n-Reel to friends from time to time. You can bet I hunt them back down.

They are just too hard to come by and so effective for anyone who likes to deadstick and jig while deadsticking.

Production planning for this year is underway. Things will be handled slightly differently this year. Stay tuned here. More to come.......T