• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Indy 440 for starter sled?

Powerstroke

I found a '92 Indy 440 liquid cooled with 5*** miles on it. Any thoughts about this sled. Photos really make it look nice. I plan on going to inspect and test ride it. Buyer is asking $800.

This is going to be my first sled. I don't know anyone who has one and I've never been on one, but I'd like to find one for ice fishing and learning on.

I've read a couple threads this winter about finding used stuff like Dtro's and some stuff from everyone else, but it all doesn't really mean much since I'm a noob when it comes to sleds.

That's getting up there in age and mileage I'd be concerned about bearings and suspension issues.

$800 sounds about right considering we actually have snow this year, sleds have made a rebound price wise with all the white stuff we have.

A year ago that machine was worth $500 tops but he'll probably get close to his asking price this year.

As far as a 92 400 liquid that was a great sled back in 92 Red hood? I have a couple friends who rode them and they loved them great trail machine.

Pictures are tough to really determine the actual condition of the sled you really need to be there in person to check things out and hear them run.

I wish I was feeling a little better I'd gladly go with you to check it out.

Back to bed now....... crazy.gif

Should be a great starter sled, I would recommend taking someone with you that has some experience with sleds though! Make sure to ask lots of questions so you know exactly what your getting into. Ask about the sleds service history, engine rebuilds, suspension service, clutch rebuilds, track replacments, belt changes, ski runners (skag's), etc. If any one of the above mentioned things happen to be wrong or wore out it may give you some bargaining room on the price. Good Luck and let us know how it goes!

Originally Posted By: PierBridge
That's getting up there in age and mileage I'd be concerned about bearings and suspension issues.

I agree, my biggest concern would be bearings on a sled with those kind of miles. Driveshaft & Jackshaft bearings are very susceptible and an absolute b*tch to replace. I did them all on my 89 Indy 500 and it was not a fun deal. You could pay a dealer to replace them but you are looking at a pretty big labor charge for some pretty cheap parts. The track will more than likely have seen better days as well.

As long as the engine starts well and the carbs are clean, I don't see you having any serious issues in the engine dept, those motors were pretty bulletproof.

I think the driveline is where you will see issues after awhile.

Pricewise, you are definitely in the ballpark.

Powerstroke,

It is all about condition at that age and miles. I just bought a '95 Indy Sport 2 up with about that many miles and for about that price. But I shopped by Internet and paper alot and this was what I wanted and at the top of what I was willing to spend.

The sled is mint. I've put more scratches in it in a week than the one owner did in 13 years. It was lubed with Amsoil since new. I am happy with my purchase.

2 ups tend to fetch a tad better price than a single, so consider that. Look at the track lugs to see if the ends or edges are worn to the threads. Look for cracked bogeys or worn out hyfax. Don't be afraid to tip it for a look under for damage or rust.

I also did a compression test on mine right there in the driveway before I bought. It had 120/125 per cyl., which is like new. You don't want a large variance and definately not more than 15 pounds. Hope to stay above 110-115.

Look around at the guys other stuff to see how he takes care of things in general. Thats usually a pretty good tip off to the true maintenance the sled has seen.

If this sled is near the west or north metro, I could maybe lend a few minutes to go with. Email: tsac4 @ hotmail.

Good luck!

wanderer------email sent

I appreciate all the help and opinions. I know everyone says find someone who knows sleds, but I don't know anyone who does. I've got one friend who's ridden them, but he rents once a year and thats it.

SOme of this info is over my head so I've been reading as much as I can. Its very interesting and I can't wait to have one to learn hands on. I just don't want to buy one that I spend more time "learning" than riding.

I bought the exact same sled 3 months ago, 92 indy 440 liquid w/4300mi on it. The sled was in pretty good shape except the track was a little worn. It ran nice, started in one pull. I paid $400 for it. Never rode it though, just decided to get a nicer sled. Sold it for a few hundred more. I think you can get a much better sled for around that $1,000 range. Just my opinion. Stick with Polaris though for around that kind of money. I would look for a mid 90's indy 500 with around 3,000mi in that price range. One of the most reliable dummy proof sleds ever made. Good luck.

Originally Posted By: Powerstroke
wanderer------email sent

I appreciate all the help and opinions. I know everyone says find someone who knows sleds, but I don't know anyone who does. I've got one friend who's ridden them, but he rents once a year and thats it.

SOme of this info is over my head so I've been reading as much as I can. Its very interesting and I can't wait to have one to learn hands on. I just don't want to buy one that I spend more time "learning" than riding.

Heres a couple of simple tips for ya ,, Look close at the suspension rails,, Loose bolts can cause an augering effect that holds alot of the peices bolted to them ,, getting those rails rewelded or replaced can be costly,,, As For dependable sleds the 488 twin trail indys was one of the best older sleds that also gave plenty of power so you didnt fell like you were always in the back of the pack

Originally Posted By: PierBridge

$800 sounds about right considering we actually have snow this year

I have a '90 Indy 400 with almost 10K on it and a '95 XCR 440 with close to 6300 miles and I have a buddy who has 4 early 90's Polaris sleds ranging from 8K to 15K. None of our sleds have ever had an engine rebuild. We rebuild the clutches every couple of years and always make sure to summerize them in the spring. Other than that we go thru the rear suspension in the spring and replace any worn out bogey wheels and hyfax, grease all the zerts, and always make sure they are full of oil. Sleds are pretty low maintenance as long as you take care of the little things.

If the sled is in good shape and runs good, I wouldn't be scared of the mileage and I would say $800 is a fair price for it. Although, I would definitely try and get him lower if possible! ;\)

Like said, its at the age and miles where bearings will need to be checked and replaced soon. I wouldn't let that scare me as long as you address that now before your left stranded.

You need a buddy to ride with, find a good one that knows a few things about sleds.

I bought that exact sled in December, it had only 2500 miles on it though I paid 750 for mine. sled works good but the suspension is not that great anymore, I had not owned a sled before and jumped into this one against the wifes wishes, oops. the mid 90's polaris sleds are out there with less miles so you might want to just wait till the off season when prices go down.