• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Little blocks of wood!

Nothing is more of a [PoorWordUsage]er then when guys move their permenents and leave behind little blocks of wood that become burried in the snow.

Then comes along Joe Angler and he augers into the block of wood and ruins his blades.

Joe Angler doesn't have $25 everytime someone forgets their little blocks of wood.

If he did, he probably wouldn't be fishing on a lake that has little blocks of wood laying on it, he would be in Canada somewhere, where the little blocks of wood are being logged from the forests while he catches his large Walleyes.

So please don't leave little blocks of wood here and there. The other thing that isn't any fun is drilling into sand and grit. But alot of that falls from vehicles wheel wells and is unavoidable.

The little blocks of wood though can be avoided. So again, I am just venting, but beware of the little blocks of wood left on the ice, because your auger doesn't like little blocks of wood.

thanks, westlin

Yeah, they should take them with..I think that's the point Westlin is trying to make.

Goes for any other garbage and dump we bring out...Take it with when you leave.

I am in complete agreement about taking with you what you bring on the lake.

But on another note, how unlucky can you be to drill into someone's block? I mean you obviously should be able to tell that a house was once on the spot you are about to drill a hole and even more that block would need to be pretty deep to not be visible at all.

None the less guys please take your stuff with you when you leave!

My parents always taught my brothers and I to leave it cleaner than when you arrived at the place you were going to. So I would imagine that would go for places on the lakes and rivers or where ever you may go in your travels. It is a good thing to pick up after your self but it does get old picking up after other people but every little bit helps. Lets all keep our places clean so we have them in the future. GOOD FISHING!!!!!

i always take everything with me. i even made on of my friends chip out all of the cig butts he had been hiding next to his hole. this year i did leave blocks form my perm on one spot. when the temps rocked up and all the houses went in - i was not about to start picking at the thin ice around the open water that my house was on. sorry if you hit my blocks but i think the odds are way against that ever happening. i feel this year there are a few things left that are exceptable. i.e. blocks by sinking houses. but for the beer cans all over - they fit right back in the box they came from so how could it be so hard to bring them with???

Mtreno, I think you have a good excuse on that thin ice thing. That was scarey. I used to have a wood stove in my house and they made good fuel. Years back, a friend was drilling a hole and hit a length of iron re-rod that someone had used as a wind anchor or some such thing. It turned his auger into a piece of modern art.

it is illegal its considered litter. mine were froze in one year and we had a couple days of warm weather comin so i figured let the weather help me. ha got a call from the game warden that night. he said the blocks better be gone by sun up or fine time. no fun chippen ice in the dark. by the way they mark your house and owner info with their gps. that way when you move the house they know who was there.

Whoa.

They got people on shock collars now.

They can't ENTER your house, but once you leave and take it with they can mail ya' a bill for rent.

Everything has it's funny way of evening out.

Hail to the little blocks of wood.

This year I quit using blocks of wood and strarted using 3X3X1/4" steel square tubing. They will never break, and you can leave them when you are done. They sink in the spring so the shoreline doesn't get littered, and they rust down to nothing! (biodegradable) Just don't hit one of those babies with your auger!

smile.gif Just stirring the pot! wink.gif

------------------
Wables

Without alot of air to help oxidize the metal, how long do you think this is going to take before these steel blocks rust away to nothing?

I don't see this any less offensive as dropping a couple jack stands delibratly into the lake....

hmmmmmm

still sounds like garbage to me. i,m not a raving lunatic when it comes to conservation, but dont leave stuff on the ice and try to sugar coat it by saying it will rust away or become structure. I will let mother nature decide when and where to put structure. just a little rant.

------------------
" the water's cold...deep too"

I once saw a guy out fishing with one of those fold up box type fishing houses out on duck. At the end of the night i look over and saw him rolling up the large piece of carpet. this is great for keeping the toes warm. but the guy must have thought it was time for a replacement. he had all but about a foot of it shoved down the hole before i let loose on him. What a dumb @ss!! He then tries to tell me how it will be good structure. ever snag a piece of carpet when your trolling?

I've always taught my kids, if you take it out, bring it back. When my #1 son was about 6 he wanted to earn money by collecting cans along the roads. He came back with piles of other garbage besides cans. When I told him that it wasn't worth anything, he told me," That's okay, I'm cleaning up America". He didn't care who threw it, it just made him feel good to pick it up. We can learn from our kids. If you get POed at the guys who leave it on the ice, it will give you ulcers. Instead, try to get a good feeling about cleaning it up. Maybe set them a good example. It will give them something to think about.

Walleye Solder,
I tried to make that same point a while back but I ended up getting a new one ripped for that. I agree with you though, I would still try to remove the cinder blocks or bricks but if they are to far gone they just make more structure for the fish. When I used to live in iowa they made whole fish cribs out of cinder blocks so it really can't hurt to much. If you couldn't remove them then mark them with a stick or something so someone doesn't bust their auger on it. ><>
deadeye

Deadeye, I was only joking, as I'm sure Wables was wink.gif

I own a portable. The only thing I leave on the lake is a hole.

I'm sure cement blocks would make great structure, as would old tires, refridgerators, cars, empty warheads,...

• we are 'the leading edge' HSO Creators

Don't leave anything on the ice.

Please, don't even joke about leaving things on the ice. At best you are kidding at worst you are baiting and we will view it as such.

Yeah, yeah, I was just joking about the square tubing, and it is correct that they won't rust under water, but I never thought someone would call my bluff. smile.gif I don't even like leaving my dead minnows on the ice!

------------------
Wables

I also have a portable and I don't have to worry about leaving anything on the ice. The only reason I said anything about cinder blocks is because of what we had when I lived in iowa, they really did make fish cribs out of cinder blocks so I was speaking from experience with that. If I had a permanant I wouldn't leave it alone long enough to have the blocks freeze in. I just get really irritated in the spring when there are a bunch of 2x4 blocks laying all over the shore. I would think that rocks sinking to the bottom are better than that. Just my opinion. smile.gif ><>
deadeye