• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Little blocks of wood!

i hate to see junk left by idots on the ice just as bad as the next guy, but it seems this chat has gone a little overboard. people leaving wood on a lake just isn't that big of a deal, it is a natural substace and will rot, i have even seen beavers use them in dams and huts. i dont think ice would work very well, it would melt when you heat your shack or the temp rises. just my 2 cents

Imagine the weather warms after someone moves their house.

The block of wood sinks into the ice...We get an inch of snow..The block is no longer visible and suddenly it isn't so obvious there was a house right there...You drill into the wood...oooooops...

The ice goes out in the spring, the wood washed up on shore?? Then the wind switches, the wood is back out in the main lake and you hit it with your boat at 30mph...ooooops.

DNR official has your house tag and address on GPS and file...You leave behind the wood illegally and the ticket for $700 arrives in the mail 5 days later...oooooops.

I've always used wood blocks under my permanent house, but this site gave me something to think on. As winter progressed, I would add more blocks and the lowest one was often frozen in and had to be chopped out in pieces. If a guy used the iron channel as mentioned, or a short piece of "I beam", a hammer blow or two should loosen it from the ice. Also, bolting or welding a short length of chain to it would give you something to hook your tow chain onto to pull it out of the ice. If the chain were done in a loop, you could slip in a pry bar and yank them loose.

as far as the dnr sending you a ticket in the mail. untreated wood is not harmfull to the lake so why would you be tagged? i do not leave things on the ice myself if at all possible but i see no crime here. plus i would never drill hole where an icehouse has been (and you can always tell by the way the snow drifts) because you never do know what that guy left behind (or put down the hole). i hit a small tree branch the other day that must have blow out in the wind. maybe we should tag the tree with a $700 fine.

The point is take your stuff with you when you go. You brought it out, it's your responsibility.

Try to make a little mention to help keep things clean and I'm the bad guy................................

Your not the bad guy, we all agree that we should pack out what we pack in.

I think many on here just hear the same thing over and over again and it's typically not the people visting this site that are committing these "crimes" on our lakes.

Thanks for reminding us!

[This message has been edited by Grabs (edited 02-07-2003).]

I live on the small bay behind McBrides (used to be Bob's Bay Club) on Clearwater Lake. Believe me, I can tell you about pieces of floating wood. Every spring when the wind is just right, they float through the culvert and into the bay. We have even retrieved pieces as large as 2"x12"x12'.(I'd like to have several this size) Some of the wood is so waterlogged, it's floating just beneath the surface. Pretty tough on fishermens props when the crappies turn on and we get the traffic. Also, where do all the plastic bags and styrofoam come from? Can't tell me this makes for good structure. We just gather everything up, sort it, and either burn or properly dispose of it. That's my two cents worth. Enjoy Clearwater and good luck fishing.

Styrofoam = broken bait buckets/coolers.

Plastic bags = bait bags.

Found in water after ice melts = irresponsible people who access the lakes to litter on them during the winter.

Once I would like to see these people do this and then turn around and gather it up and dump it in there lawn, cover it with snow for them to find in the spring.

At our cabin it is not unusual to find 10-20 pieces of wood and an assortment of beer/pop cans in the spring after the melt.