• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

ATV Advise

ice_it_06

Looking to possibly buy a ATV for multiple purpose use.

Mainly Ice Fishing for pulling light weight house early/late season but need more use of it then just fishing.

Models that plow are of interest for small commercial use.

Are there any preferred models, sizes, etc for such a use ?

Will just do small drives, sidewalks and such but want to know if they even are worth the effort, and how big of a model and investment is needed in order not to trash the thing.

Thanks for any help or guidance.

Using an atv for plowing as an investment isn't really a good idea. If you can justify it by using it for other things like you say, it's better.

I would recommend a Sportsman 500 EFI. It's a good value. The weight and stock tires are good for plowing. Easy operation. Full 4wd without a governor. EFI for cold starts. It's not as fun as some other machines, but it does everything well, for a good price.

What about the reverse limiter on the polaris that you have to hold in to be in 4wd, and to bypass the governor? I found that to be a pain in the but when plowing, or anytime getting stuck when needing reverse.

I don't use mine for plowing so bear in mind where this is coming from. What is so difficult about holding the button with your thumb while in reverse while plowing?

Bob

My kodiak doesnt even have an override button and is not governed. I'm not sure about the new ones but mine workes great for plowing. Might want to look into a yamaha as it has a better resale value anyways

On a Polaris, the over-ride button has to be held for AWD in reverse.

On a Yamaha, the locking 4wd is governed at 20 mph just like a Kingquad or AC. A locker or AWD isn't needed plowing if you have good tires or good traction.

The Kawi's have a lever for the locker, but is not governed. It has regular 4wd in reverse, but governed for speed in reverse unless the over-ride button is held.

If your going 20mph in reverse than your a heck of a driver. I just trird gong as fast as I could in reverse tonight and I dont know my exact speed But much faster than one would need. Also made it to fish house in 17" snow, with no probs. Check them out smile.gif

I was at 20 MPH in reverse today! grin.gif In a big parking lot, clearing out a huge area. I've plowed with several wheelers, and I know everyone has there preferences, I just though the limiter on the popo's was an extra pain because of the 2 wd part of it.You have to press the button every time you back up on them with a plow, because all your weight is on the front when you lift the plow.Especially when pushing the snow into a ditch situation (front down rear up).

Yes, it is a bit of a pain pushing the override button for AWD in reverse on a Polaris.

As for the 20mph, that was not reverse. I was referring to the governor in forward gears in 4wd lock. Be careful. smile.gif

Its not necessary to drive 20 mph in reverse, but when you are stuck, or spinning, and you try to give her the berries in reverse to get out, the rev limiter kicks in, that is the main problem! Although you can bypass these really easy. I bypassed my raptor reverse limiter, it would go 40 mph in reverse I bet, not needed!