• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Need Help/Looking for Aluminum Trailer....

Catmendo

I second the Aluma. I bought a 5 x 14 and love it. The other brand I was looking at was a Newman... I think thats the right spelling... They are made in MN. They seemed like a good trailer also, but the Aluma was closer for me to go and pick up.

My dad bought an Aluma trailer a couple years back when he bought his Yamaha Rhino. The only downside to this particular model trailer is the sides rattle something fierce.

He can chase every deer out of the county while driving down a gravel road. He has fixed that to some degree by cutting small pieces from a heavy conveyor belt and securing them between the contact areas between the sides and the bottom of the trailer. It still rattles, but near as bad.

The plus about these trailers is you never know they're behind your vehicle.

I would also recommend getting a trailer with 15" tires to eliminate some of the wear on the wheel bearings. You're typical "sled-bed" with the 8" tires take a beating on the road. The 8" tires will make twice as many rotations as the 15" tires and they'll also take a beating from cracks and potholes in the road.

I have had an Aluma for three years and it is a very well built trailer. The five year warranty was a clue to that. The only thing I have had to do in three years is replace a bulb in a tail light and check tire pressure. I take my sideboards off when I haul my ATV to get rid of the rattles. smile.gif

I agree with you LEP7MM about the tire size,but in my experience that is the opposite.

I have yet to have a problem with a snowmobile trailer. I know a guy that insists on 15" wheels, and he has had plenty of trouble with bearings. It's mainly because I keep a closer eye on maintenance. Grease them and keep 30 psi in them and they are great.

One thing I notice about the bigger steel trailers though, is that you can haul more weight on them. My 16 ft. 4 place trailer has a tough time with my heavy JD 318 lawn tractor and cab. It holds 4 atv's better than anything.

good point Roofer. Maintenance is key.

Another thing to point out is you should always buy more trailer than you will need. Never buy a trailer rated for 1000 lbs if you're going to haul 1000 lbs. Buy a minimum of double the capacity that you will need.

But either way, the best trailer is a well maintained trailer that is used within it's means.

that would depend on how much weight you intend to put on it.

I loaded up my 5x8 with sand yesterday and ended up over doing it. Had to drive 5 mph 2 miles home so I could offload some of the weight. Lucky I didn't blow a tire.

I always prefer to go a little overkill on weight ratings. If I plan on hauling 1000 lbs of equipment, I would get a trailer rated for 2500 lbs.

Poor roads will magnify the the stress on your trailer when loaded, so it's always a good idea to go larger than you think you'll need.

Originally Posted By: DRH1175
I would want something that I can get two wheelers or my fishtrap and ATV inline on. Two axles or 1?

Newmans has a 50"x14' single axle trailer that isn't too bad. I sold mine and replaced it with a 63"x16' tandem axle Aluma which I like much better.

My best advice for getting a trailer is figure out what size you need and get the next size bigger. If you don't think you'll need one that big you'll find more stuff to haul, trust me.

As for the axles the only reason I prefer a single is becasue that's half as many tires to replace and bearings to repack or replace, but the doubles do haul better.

My buddy has a four place tandom axel trailer and it pulls alot easier than any two place that I've put behind the truck. If it were me the tandom axel would be the one that I'd go with. The only reason I don't have one is lack of space to store it. Good luck on your search hope this helps.

Originally Posted By: aczr2k
Fishy, where'd you pick up your Aluma at? I'd like to sell my 6314 and get the 6316. Thanks.

I picked mine up from Bristows, However if I needed to re-buy I would go thru Mies in Watkins or the Yamaha dealer in Paynesville as they seemed alot better to deal with.

Also make sure when you order that you order some tie downs as it comes with none. I just ordered 4 of the core-trax systems from costco to mount on the trailer and also ordered the 24" aluminum side rails. When you order you can also upgrade to 14" radials for around $150 extra.

If you like to see it in person let me know.

I picked mine up in West Fargo at Visto's, I checked around then and everyone was pretty close in price. I wish they (Aluma) would add the sliding track like the Floe snowmobile trailers have for the hold downs, now that would make it a perfect trailer. Thanks.

Just checked out those core-trax, those are pretty slick, never seen them before.

If you use it manly for four wheeling only a snowmobile trailer isn't the best option. You can't beat an all aluminum narrow width trailer with 14" tires, they pull like a dream and no wood deck. I agree with you Floe is the best "snowmobile trailer" just not for atv use. I put many miles on pulling trailers and I would never go back to a snowmobile trailer for atvs. The only other trailer I'd ever consider is a 4 place Triton side load atv trailer, of course mine would have to have an aluminum deck.

Originally Posted By: aczr2k
If you use it manly for four wheeling only a snowmobile trailer isn't the best option. You can't beat an all aluminum narrow width trailer with 14" tires, they pull like a dream and no wood deck. I agree with you Floe is the best "snowmobile trailer" just not for atv use. I put many miles on pulling trailers and I would never go back to a snowmobile trailer for atvs. The only other trailer I'd ever consider is a 4 place Triton side load atv trailer, of course mine would have to have an aluminum deck.

I agree with you for up to 2 wheelers. Any more and the snowmobile trailers work better, and are more useful for other things.

The wood floor also keeps the dirt, snow, ice, salt off of the machines......with a salt shield.

Not disagreeing so much as just pointing out a few things.

I have to say, an enclosed trailer is the best, but I get tired pulling my "kite", when fuel is $4.00+ a gallon. eek.gif