• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Lead ban bill is introduced...READ

GullGuide

It seems to me the reason it "has't caught on fast" is because the other stuff is so expensive. Maybe if they lowered the price and or found something cheaper to use most of us would have no problem making the switch. I also don't really buy into the dying loon theory, if there are so many loons dying why arent't we seeing ducks with the same problem?

If that is the truth about it and not something else causing the death I would have to agree to ban lead. There is nothing better than sitting out on the lake at sunset and listening to the loons cry and the sound of my drag being pulled by an eye. I am not a tree hugger but I think we do need to respect the outdoors. I have used those aluminum split shot and love them. The tackle companys will go through some troubles but as far as the fisherman go the price will drop if there is not the cheaper lead alternitive. And if you can afford a other equip (rods reels boats anchors markers chair to sit on shore lights and many more including boxes full of tackle)the cost of a jig going up 20 cents should not cause everyone to go into the poor house. My thoughts, like I said if it is true!!!

Gullguide, heh, mabye I should read up on loon feeding habits grin.gif If they only eat little minnows, and not bigger fish, that theory is toast, haha
I am not sure what all the fuss is about anyhow, there are way more loons todays then a few years ago. I remember having to go way up north to see or hear them, now it is common to see them on metro lakes, where lead sinkers abound smile.gif

I'm definately in favor of a ban, though there should be a grandfather clause that allows fisherpeople to use lead tackle they already have. By prohibiting stores from selling lead tackle, this proposed ban shouldn't be hard to follow.
Lead is not something to foola round with. Smaller lakes that receive heavy use can really be in trouble with lead.

almost all other fishing equiptment also has lead in it. pliers, ice fishing tip up line or atleast other chemicals that are really bad, check out the south bend line also, not saying this is a bad product but all of them have warnings about birth defects.

The article specifies sinkers only. Are jigs considers sinkers by some?

It wouldn't bother me to use an alternative. If lead is bad for the environment the choice should be pretty simple.

Any body know of a place that sells bismuth or tin jigs and sinkers? I'd like to see the stuff before I buy it.

Last 2 years we have had to start using non-lead sinkers and jigs in NH and slected lakes in Mass.At first it was a Pain! but after stores carried nothing but non-lead the shock value was gone and you made do.The specifics of the law and what it supposed to do can be found at www.nesportman.com/NH home page.All it took was the loon-counters to find a few dead loons with colored worm weights in their stomachs and it began!

Personally, I am in favor of reducing the risk of lead poisoning in waterfowl, loons, eagles, etc. and agree that lead-based fishing equipment is a major contributor. Many more birds have died from lead poisoning than I think most would believe. BUT, lead has been used for decades and there is a LOT of it present in our waters already (I snagged a rig on LOW on Sunday!). It will not disappear any time soon. The only way the material will no longer be available for waterfowl to ingest is the long-term processes of erosion and siltation. This could take hundreds of years in certain waters. The potential benefits of a ban on lead shot, will likely occur sooner as most waterfowl hunting is done in shallow backwater sloughs, marshes, and fields where sediment accumulates relatively rapidly as opposed to lake bottoms.

Imposing an entire statewide ban on the sale and USE of lead-based fishing equipment may not be practical or effective at this point. A blanket ban on use, in my opinion would enfuriate many anglers who have accumulated lead split shot, lures, etc. in their tackle boxes for years. Forcing them to 'throw it all away' and run out and buy new gear all at once would not create a supportive public. In contrast, were a ban on sale (but not use) imposed, anglers would get the message that times are changing. When they run low on certain items they slowly get replaced by non-toxic alternatives. I firmly believe this would be a much more effective agenda, would receive wider support from anglers, make the switch to non-toxic tackle (somewhat) voluntary for a period of time, and generate more positive discussion and interest in the conservation benefits of not using lead tackle. Certainly, if you're a die-hard lead user, you could travel to other states to get it, but I'm guessing that this issue will be popping up in surrounding states soon as well.

Finally, ban or no ban, as others have mentioned, there needs to be incentive for retailers to carry non-toxic tackle. I have almost never seen it available. The problem is that lead gear is cheaper to produce and as such, anglers often buy it and retailers sell more of it. Why then should they carry something that doesn't sell. Apparently, there will need to be some sort of legislation to create this. What's ironic to me is the market that's out there for non-toxic shot shells like tungsten, bismuth, etc. that often sell for twice the price of steel! Of course this is not a real parallel since the benefits of hunting with these shells are obvious over steel, whereas the only benefit to the angler of fishing with non-toxic tackle is the personal satisfaction of not contributing to the potential lead poisoning of waterfowl. Sad but true! With no other incentive, I think a ban, at least on sale is all that will change this trend.

Lengthy, but there it is.

------------------
Best FISHES,
Matt

The lead poisoning issue is for real. I've read that many waters in Europe have banned the use of lead years ago already because of lead poisoning in waterfowl over there. Saw somthing on the tube about it too a few years back. Swans because of thier feeding habits ( simular to ducks )seem to have been affected most.
It makes sense I supose when you consider people have been fishing those rivers for hundreds of years over there. You can only imagine the amount of lead that's in those river sysytems etc.
There have been ducks/geese in areas here that have been found sick/dying and dead due to lead poisoning. MOST had consumed old lead shot but some had small splitshot in em as well.
BELIVE ME when I say I'm anti PETA but on certain heavily fished waters lead poisoning is going to become a real problem.
Like it or not I guess we have to face the fact that one day soon we are going to see lead banned for fishing aplications.
I guess I don't have a problem with that.
I just hope that if/when lead is banned that the lead substitutes become more afordable and readily available to guys like me that make thier own jigs/sinkers.

Flash King , I'd be interested to know how non lead substitutes compare in price to lead ones.

How do all these sinkers get in the lake in the first place? I dont throw them away , if I'm Bass fishing I use only brass or tungsten worm weights anyways. If Im walleye fishing I would think that if your in over 10-15ft of water and you break off it wouldnt matter ,or do they dive that deep to eat off the bottom? I can see the ban on lead shot because most of the shooting is over fairly shallow water,but sinkers?

I'm actually surprised this hasn't happened long ago after they cam out with the steelshot for waterfowl hunting.
Sure that sucked at first, the price of em still sucks, but folks will get used to it.
just an opinion ofcourse, heh!

good point and yes most waterfowl species do not dive that deep puddle ducks(mallards,wood ducks, teal, wiegion, gadwall ,pintail ,shoveler, light and dark geese?) do not fully submerge at all unless there is a predator witch then i dont think food is the first thing the think about the only ducks i can think of that dive more than 5 to 6 feet are sea ducks and mabey magansers but they are fish ducks (big loss anyways lol smile.gif) so i dont see it as much of an issue unless them spring crappies in 3 ft of water are breaking ya off constantly wink.gif which is not the case for me.just my $1.50

I guess I don't understand what a Psychologist, that won her seat by riding the coat tails of her husband's almost 30 year career as a senator, knows about hunting or fishing.

I'm not against using lead alternatives but look at what it costs for a box of good non-toxic shot. I don't know if I want my ice fishing jigs to triple in price.

OK I have been putting lead in my mouth for a long time I should be dead. They are more worried about a g--d---- loon. If it can kill a animal can't it kill us. Give me a break!!!!!!!!!!! What about the boats or even taking a leak. Better ban fishing all together.