• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Honest Opinion..

Dakota Iceman

Gentleman, I need an honest answer based on your ice fishing knowledge and this years weather conditions (or lack there of). Here is my dillema: My woman is very cool when it comes to my habit of spending money chasing the walleyes across the ice, after having dropped some serious cash this year on accessories and four wheeeler,ice shack ect... The only purchase left is a gas auger. It has come to my attention through a lengthy discussion and some eye rolling that i am pushing my luck in hopes of giving cabelas another 300.00 Can i get by with my old standby hand auger this season? or does one really think we will be seeing the two and three feet of ice we have had in years past? Any thoughts other than my womans would be appreciated. Thanks, Dakota Iceman.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Swill is right, use the hand auger until the ice gets to thick and then borrow a power auger from those fishing around you. I have drilled a lot of holes for people who don't have power augers. But on the other hand you have got all the rest so give her that sad look and go for the new power auger.

Dakota Iceman
Why not wait till next season and spread the $$$$ out over time. Take your woman out for a nice meal some place and tell her you can wait till next season for purchasing the auger. smile.gif You can use your hand auger and if need be go on your trips with someone that has a power auger. I’m sure your fishing partners will understand because they maybe had the same decisions to make! My auger purchase hopefully will be next season because my future better half & I were in Fargo yesterday and I passed on the power auger and bought a yard tractor for a lot more money than the auger and I do mean a lot MORE $$$$$. Now we have a big tractor to mow the yard in a timely fashion with our busy schedules. Now she knows that I do make some sacrifices for her! grin.gif Hmm the yard mowed now go fishing???? smile.gif

“FISH” grin.gif

------------------
http://www.icesaws.com/

i personally would not go out with out my gas auger I move around alot and i am drilling alot of holes and a hand auger gets old quick if your going through even 8 inches of ice 10+ times a day i got an 8 inch jiffy 2hp quick cutting, she starts first or second pull ,pretty light and they even are a little under 300 bucks

Or find a used one-- check out the used gear wanted/for sale section here. A good power auger generally lasts for a long time-- and you could find a used one for about half of what a new one costs. There are several on there right now. There are also various used/bargin sporting goods/fishing stores around.. you could allways look in the Yellow pages to see if you have any place like that in your area.

Ok, i think i will get by w/some new blades for the hand auger. With the way the weather is in south dakota this year....ill be lucky if i get to drill through 6". With that decided..... I figure my unselfishness and listening to the "voice or reason" should nab some extra booty time with the old lady while waiting for this ice to thicken up smile.gif At least thats the plan...........Dakota Iceman

Dakota Iceman
I'd go with the booty to its warmer!Darn we need colder for more ice! See what you've done!LoL HaHa!
Tell her you need to dig some post holes and its on sale!Woops it came with the wrong auger!Darn!

------------------
cal

I've managed to get just about every gadget possible for ice fishing, and it's taken me ten years. My wife is great, and loves to fish too. I borrow the latest gear from a friend who's got it, take it out with my wife, let her use it, and
voila! She thinks it's "cool" and understands how "important" of an accessory it is.
Thus the FL18 for Xmas wink.gif !

[This message has been edited by Gonzo (edited 12-30-2002).]

I agree with the get da powerblade next year and have plenty o' booty to last ya through da vinter. grin.gif
I used a hand auger for about 10 years, even in the mid-winter, and yeah it sucks, but at the end of the season I had muscles in my ears! I recommend the 6" blade though. You can still pull a 12lb pike out of a smaller hole no problem and lots easier to cut. New blades 12$.

When you're ready though, 3hs Jiffy is the one you want. It'll be around for a LONG time!

------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~
/
<The Sucka{
\

Before you put the new blades on, and the ice isn't too thick, take your bride out for a day of fishin. After she sees you struggling to get those holes drilled she'll feel so bad for you that you'll get your new auger grin.gif If nothing else you can still put on the new blades and you got her to go fishin with you once. Maybe she'll be hooked too...

Capt'n

ya know,.... This comes up way too much,....and its just part of fishing,...Rick,...we need a "whining about women" forum. I can think of two posts for it right now.

You guys are a bunch of nuts! I would get the power auger personally because if we didn't have one and he made me drill a hole he wouldn't be getting any booty. See the wife's (girlfiend, fill in the blank) gotta love fishing to make this work, if she doesn't then you might want to do what works for you. grin.gif I like Bigguns idea then you guys can get it all out of your systems. wink.gif Good luck!

-------------

Hey! Your bobbers gone! shocked.gif

Fishn'Lady

I'm 44 and been fishing all my life. Granted I only go about twice or three times a month and have never owned a power auger. I have a 6" lazer, and last weekend on mille Lacs I drilled about 20-25 holes through 15" without breaking a sweat. Sure, a power auger is nice, but not a necessity.