• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Snaaaaaake!!!!

First off, just let me say I don't like snakes much. Nope, not much at all. So it was with some surprise and distaste that, a couple minutes after I sat down on a rock just off the Echo Trail this morning, I nearly put my hand down on a small garter snake that was trying to gather enough morning sunlight on top of the rock to get its machine moving.

Well, snake or not, a creature too torpid to move fast was too good to pass up, so I strapped on the macro lens and took advantage of this slow-mover. It wasn't until I was done that I saw blood on its body and a couple recent abrasions and realized it had had a close encounter with vehicle or a hawk, which also explains why it let my lens within six inches.

All with the Canon 30D and Canon 100 macro at iso200, handheld

1/200 at f2.8

garter-tight-vert.jpg

1/200 at f3.2

garter-loose.jpg

1/100 at f2.8

This one showed an interesting halo effect that was not from any type of pp, but the light formed a bit of a border around the snake's facial disc, and since the DOF was so shallow it seemed to heighten the effect

garter-peeks.jpg

Steve,

I love the first one! The composition on that one with the snake's body blurring into the background in a "snaking pattern" draws your eye throughout the image. Excellent capture.

Thanks, guys. I had to say I was drawn to the face of this snake. The scales have a pearly irridescence I'd never seen before (and that's visible in these images). I suppose I shouldn't be surprised, not having ever been six inches from the head of a snake until now. grin.gif