• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Best Ground Blind

Jig4All

What are everyones suggestions for ground blinds for Bow/Gun hunting. I am in the market since I will be hunting mostly lowland swamps and fields this year without many options for treestands. I have been to Cabelas and Sportsmans Warehouse but have not decided if the Double Bull Matrix 360 is worth the money or not. Thanks.

Ditto. I have an ameristep blind cause I got a great deal on it a couple years ago. I was happy at first, but after a few hunts my blind is not ideal. I'm sure there are downsides to everything, but the Double Bull is the cat's meow.

Do you find that the double bull does a better job at protecting your silhouette when you have the mesh in place and open 360 degrees or do you need to have the backdrop up so you are hidden?

I've never used a DB, but it will be my next major hunting related purchase, though I am leery about leaving a $400 blind in the woods unprotected with no real way to chain it down or prevent its being stolen by the first stooge that stumbles onto it. I will probably carry the blind in and out with me, or only leave it overnight if I hunt an evening and know for sure I'll be back in the morning.

I did leave my Ameristep in the woods overnight for a couple days during gun season a couple years ago on state land and no one touched it. Of course, it's an Ameristep, so no one wants it. wink.gif

With all the good stuff I've heard about DBs, and the high degree of "patheticness" and uselessness of the Ameristep Doghouse I have, a DB is the only one I'll buy, until someone comes out with something better.

As for hiding your silhouette, I've heard that the DB mesh does a good job of hiding you, and I believe DB recommends wearing black clothes in their blinds too. I could be wrong about that though.

I have a couple of Ameristep brand ground blinds. I had bought one and loaned it to a friend. It blew away in a wind storm and he bought me another to replace it...and a couple weeks later he found the missing one....thus I have two.

The cheaper ones do work fine for certain hunting situations...my father shot two deer out of mine last year with no problems. However, I bow hunt and I am not so crazy about the cheaper blinds. I think they are rather loud...zippers and velcro make a lot of noise at times.

If I had to do it over again, I would just get me a DB 360 and be happy with it. I have never hunted out of one...but played around with them in the store. They seem top notch!

soda you are right DB recommends that you "match your background" so when in a blind with a black background where black clothes, just like when in a tree stand where camo to blend in with the tree. I had two does look right at me in my DB with the mesh in place and they never got spooky or anything the first time I had it out.

Coach:

The cheapest I've ever seen them go for is at silent auctions or other prize events at NWTF conventions. Typically, that's because they're either not on display and people confuse them for a cheaper blind, or they're not packaged with gun raffles/games which tends to attract many folks.

I can't say I've ever seen them on sale, but I know the Cabelas Bargain Cave has a few every time I'm in there.

Joel

money wise the best blind is all natural...bring a little folding chair or stool and either use your camo to blend into the boughs of a pine tree or hunker under bushes or in between a cluster of trees that grew close together. Thing with these is the deer see them everyday so the only change in scenery is you being there. Keep the movement to a bare minimum, hide as best you can while still being able to shoot or draw and you should be in business.