• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Beaver on the Portage

I have a favorite spot along the Portage River out the Echo Trail from Ely. It's no secret, no mystery, just a nice place to sit at dawn or dusk, knowing that rivers attract pretty much every type of life you can find in the boreal forest, and that there are sunrise/sunset shots thrown in.

So I walked in there this afternoon expecting to sit in a spot and see what might happen. The light was strangely diffuse, the sun a bronze coin behind intense atmospheric haze.

As I crabbed along on hands and knees approaching the river, I heard water flowing hard. It was either that or strong wind sighing through the pines. I looked up. Very little wind in the pines. It was a new beaver dam going up, and the hiss was the water passing through the alder branches that are the precursor to the full dam.

I dropped to the ground and bellied up to the edge of the river, not really expecting to see beavers because they are more active at dawn and dusk and this was the middle of the afternoon.

But a pair of mature animals was there, working through the day. No kits, just the pair, building the dam that would swell an impoundment behind it and allow them to build their lodge.

Backlit by a weak sun

1/500 at f7.1

backlit.jpg

Putting on fat for the coming winter

1/400 at f8

chowing-down.jpg

Dam-building materials

1/400 at f8

dragging.jpg

Right at me

1/400 at f7.1

head-on.jpg

Close enough to touch

1/250 at f7.1

tight-1.jpg

Quote:

So which one of these will be going on the cover of ON this week?

Well, that's not up to me. The beaver heading straight at the camera from right at my level is my fave (there were water droplets on the lens glass when I was done shooting THAT one!). But we'll see. grin.gif

And thanks, guys.