• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Man-Vs-Wild....

CALVINIST

I also get tired of the speech Survivorman gives every time he has to kill something for food.

I'm not going to go kill for fun when I am stuck in the wild, but if I am hungury the squirrel is going to die trust me and I won't feel bad about it.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

bear is a little jumpy and twichy for me. but we will watch any one with an english accent.

surviorman is too grim for me. it's alway late in the first day, or early day two when he says "if i don't find food soon, i could die". i have seen lots of shots of him coming back to get the still camera, but i wonder sometimes. kinda like the grizzlyman

i like that he does what he does. most people will tell you. "you know you can drink your urine to survive" but would never do it. he actually does the discusting parts proving to us its not a myth. did you all know that he broke his back when he was young during a parachute jump. yet he is out here now doing what he is doing. climbed mount everest and was in the special forces. at the beginning of his shows they let you know that the cameramen are not allowed to have any interaction what so ever unless its a life and death situation. i like this more than survivorman actually. the survivorman guy goes in there with some actual stuff like knives, and stuff. But in both their defense they are doing things that might day might save someones life. If it saves one persons life they have done their jobs. keeping us entartained is always great too.

Survivorman=

Les Stroud (Born October 20, 1962 in Mimico, Ontario[1][2]) is a Canadian musician, film maker, and survival enthusiast best known as the host of the television program Survivorman. After a short career behind the scenes in the music industry, Stroud became a full-time wilderness guide, survival instructor and musician based in Huntsville, Ontario. Stroud has produced survival-themed programming for The Outdoor Life Network, The Discovery Channel, and The Science Channel.

Man vs. Wild=

Grylls passed UK Special Forces Selection, serving as a sabre soldier, trained in unarmed combat, desert and winter warfare, combat survival, medics, parachuting, signals, evasive driving, climbing and explosives.

He served for 3 years in 21 SAS, one of two Territorial Army regiments in the Special Air Service referred to as the "SAS®". 21 SAS specializes in Close Target Reconnaissance and attack(CTR). During his time with 21 SAS Grylls served actively in North Africa twice

If you know anything at all about the SAS. You know they train people for solitary survival...probably the best training in the world in that area.

Who would you want with you?

That right there should be proof enough , nothing ever staged on that show . Except for the time he was talking and then jumped in the river and magically came out of the water with a life jacket on . Or when he rolls down a mountain and a few scenes later his cloths are clean again . Its a TV show and he has a camera crew to help him out , like the time he went off running in the woods at night and was able to see because the camera crew turned on the lights . Like it or not Les Stroud is ALONE and Bear is not . I don't doubt Bears credentials and actually like him but the fact he has camera crew with him makes it just another reality show .

Here's an interesting article from the Daily Mail, a London-based publication. Since we can't post links, here's a few quotes from the article:

Quote:

To viewers of his TV series, Bear Grylls is the daredevil adventurer who catapults himself into world's worst 'hellholes' and then survives on his wits alone.

But it has emerged that far from roughing it in brutal environments, the former SAS man actually spent nights in hotels during filming of his Channel 4 show.

The Eton- educated 33-year- old is also alleged to have choreographed parts of Born Survivor, with many of his spectacular stunts carefully set up by the production crew.

Channel 4 last night began an investigation into the claims, which follow a number of embarrassing incidents in which programmes screened by the station were found to have misled the public.

Grylls's show attracted 1.4million viewers when it was shown in March and April, with audiences enthralled as he demonstrated gruesome survival tips that included sucking the fluid from fish eyeballs and squeezing water from animal dung.

In one episode filmed in California's Sierra Nevada mountains he was shown biting off the head of a snake for breakfast and boasting that he was living on 'just a water bottle, a cup and a flint for making fire'.

Viewers were not told that he was actually spending some nights in the Pines Resort hotel at Bass Lake, where the rooms have Internet access and is advertised as 'a cosy getaway for families' complete with blueberry pancakes for breakfast.

In another episode when Grylls declared he was a 'real life Robinson Crusoe' stuck on a desert island, he was actually on an outlying part of the Hawaiian archipelago and retired to a motel at nightfall.

Mark Weinert, a survival consultant brought in for the programme, said one show also wrongly gave the impression that the adventurer built a Polynesian- style raft using only materials around him, including bamboo and palm leaves for a sail.

Mr Weinert had in fact led a team that built the raft, which was then dismantled so that Grylls could be shown constructing it on camera.

In another episode, Grylls was filmed attempting to lasso 'wild' mustang in the Sierra Nevada, when the horses were actually tame and had been brought in by trailer from a nearby trekking station.

'If you really believe everything happens the way it is shown on TV, you are being a little bit naive,' Mr Weinert told the Sunday Times.

Channel 4 confirmed that Grylls had used hotels during expeditions and ordered the production company that made the programme to investigate the other claims.

To sum it up, Bear spends the night in hotels, a raft he "made" was pre-constructed earlier, and his stunts are choreographed. In other words, he's a fake, and so is the show....

I could care less if he is really staying out everynight or what.....the point of the show is to show you that it could be done and shows you different thing to look for that might come in handy.......pretty sure that you aren't going to go in the outback or the desert anyway and look at a spider and know what kind it is and then say mmmmm not too poisonous and a great source of protein anyway....but he gives you little tips on things to look for and TV is ment to be entertaining.....I will still watch the show!!

Coming soon Bear is dropped into a Walmart and must survive using only his credit card and the "Self Checkouts" Subway and McDonald's will be open but only till midnight. After that he is on his own in the super super market. Will he be able to avoid the night stockers and the ever present night manager? His quest, find the Survivor Man dvd's and learn how to really do a survival show. Stay tuned.. blush.gif

To me it always seemed like Survivor man put himself in situations that I might find myself in one day, like the one where he is canoeing in Canada in the fall and his canoe capsizes. Man vs. Wild always seemed a little bit sensationalized for me. He would be the show to watch if you were ever parachuting in Peru though.

I prefer Survivor man. Something about him being off by himself and recording by himself puts a little more prespective to it like setterguy said. After reading some of the posts and watching the show, I think Man-Vs_Wild is just a Show.