• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Lower Unit Bent? Can I hammer?

Dkoy

I backed up into a buddys driveway to park the boat for the night, forgot to lift motor up and hit the lower unit on his steep driveway. Stopped before much happend but the lower unit find on the bottom is bent a little to the right. Is it ok for me to try and straighten again with a rummber hammer or something? Or is there another way to fix this?

Its that rudder like thing on the very bottom. I stopped as soon as I heard a little clunk on the back. Got out and raised the motor and noticed a slight bent towards the right. I would think that a slight bend would effect performance at higher speeds. I want to take a hammer to it but probably should ask for advice before I further damage anything else. Any info would help.

I have found that things like that will always bend and look goofy when you have an opps. I have also found too many times that you will have an opps if you try to make it bend back. If it is not bad and the motor still works OK I would leave it alone. Have a good one and N Joy the Hunt././Jimbo

Before you do any hammering on it, since it is cast aluminum, I would take two pieces of angle iron, sandwich them on each side of the skeg and clamp them on with 3-4 strong c-clamps and slowly squeeze it together. This should bend it back most of the way to its original position. I wouldn't hammer on it because cast aluminum is brittle and may break of if it is not supported.

MAr Lee is right. Clamp a long 2x4 on one side and a shorter peice for a backer on the other. Use the longer one to bend with. I've gotton some pretty badly bent ones looking real good that way. Just be careful to not snap the skeg off, or you will have to have it welded back on.

If the boat performs leave it alone. My last boat had one that was been not sure how but it was anyhow it was bent pretty good but it didn't effect the handling of the rig. Rather than chance breaking cast aluminum I would leave it if you can.

Quote:

I wouldn't hammer on it because cast aluminum is brittle and may break of if it is not supported.

RobertELee is right on here... I would use his clamping method before I would attempt to take a hammer to it, if at all.

Have you noticed any performance issues with it bent? If not, I might be inclined to leave it be.

marine_man

Sorry marine! they both stick to mind because the 3 questions I had a few months back about a crystler motor,was answered by them.and I got repair manual from euro and parts manual,and valv is moderator.I'll remember you now!Sparcebag cool.gif

Quote:

Ah, no big deal.. just giving you a hard time
cool.gif

marine_man

I don't think it's hard time, I think it's true..... grin.gif

Now I am giving YOU hard time Marine_man.... grin.gif

Unfortunately I did the same thing to my skeg upon hitting the bottom and a rock at about 30 MPH on my new Verado. Made me sick, but I used the clamping method and took my time and was able to ease it back to straight. I used 2 woodworking pipe style clamps with about a 4' pipe on them for leverage and just kept working it back a little at a time. With a little touch up paint you can't even tell it was ever bent or scratched. Definitely don't beat on it though.