• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just got back from a long wet day. I hooked 3 fish all day landed one brown and one chrome steelhead. Berry got a smaller steelhead and lost a nice one. Water was high and muddy but manageable. Got my fish on x legs and yarn. I got a few good pics i'll post in a day or two. Who's fishing tommorrow, I'll be going solo if anyone wants to hook up.

I had a better day than most. I landed 6 steelies with none over 26". I rolled a few more fish....maybe four. Of our group of five we landed 9. My buddies had a rough day blush.gif. Not sure if tmrw is gonna happen. Quick, I might have been fishing the same stretch as you. The water looked pretty good to me though. It was a little murky but wasn't that high at all. I thought it looked pretty good for opener anyways.

were you in the group of guys that were camped out that i stopped by with Blake? I agree that the water looked good, but it was just a little muddier then i like for flies. It is perfect if you are using bait, but I am a fly guy myself. Anyday you can get out on that river let alone catch any fish is a good day. If you want to get out tommorrow give me a call if you still have my #.

Oh and by the way matt, the water on your stretch had way more clarity then the stretch i started at and fished the majority of the day. I thought the water looked good as well, but i need some excuse for not catching more fish. Maybe I'll blame it on all the reports i've been hearing of good numbers of people fishing the brule illegaly all last week.

What is up with the different dates for the opener and the confusion behind which was correct.??? Lot's of guys saying they did better last weekend...I played into it and started telling guys they should've been here yesterday. Unfortunately I didn't fish today. I heard the rest of the river that was decent yesterday got bad and nobody landed anything anyhow so I don't feel too bad.

Could you give a more detailed description of some of the areas that you are looking to fish this time of year? I'm going to have some time off coming after Easter and I'm looking to hit the Brule quite a bit.

Spent the day looking for Steelhead on the Brule with a buddy, saw one small Steelie caught and he landed a 14 in. brown on yarn. We through stones and yarn all day and that was the only taker. Water was just above 200 and fairly stained, but some that we talked to had a better day than us. All in all it was nice to get out especially with the weather that is moving in.

Sci, heading east on 2, take a left after the Kro and head up H and just look for the access areas. They are marked everywhere. Once in the woods there are well defined trails, then look for slow water with gravel. Good luck!

Had a rough first day of fly fishing for 2007 yesterday. Didn't see any fish and dropped my fly box in the Brule while messing around with a sink tip. Floated down a rapids and out of sight before I could even react. Doh.

So if anyone came across a fly box downstream of FF on Monday the 3rd (or later), please shoot me an email thistlekicker at lycos (Contact Us Please).

well, I guess I either fish yarn the rest of the season or it's time to get tying. Cranked out 10 X-legs last night watching the NCAA game, moving on to streamers tonight. At least I wouldn't be out in this weather we have planned for the next couple days, even if I had flies.

water temp was about 40, btw.

Scifisher, the whole river has steelhead and browns spread out through it right now. I like fishing higher up when the water is high and muddy as it is now. Pick an access spot and look for breaks in the current near runs and bends in the river. As the water warms i look for smaller pockets in faster water. As the water warms the fish will be moving onto the gravel to spawn, then I like to fish the runs or holes below the gravel and targeting the males that hold behind the spawning females. I personally leave the fish alone while they are on the gravel. It is highly frowned unpon posting specific locations on the brule, but popular access points are at FF, hwy 13, copper range campground, and numerous fishing access points off of H.

The new centerpin killed this weekend. 7 steelhead, 2 river browns on Sat. 1 skip on Sund. 3 steelhead monday morn. Everytime i fish with that thing, i take one more step to the darkside. crazy.gif

Oh no! let's not start the centerpin debate on this site too! grin.gif I fly fish with an indicator so I can't say anything other then i can't imagine how effective it can be.

Me and Illtakewhaticanget got out today and hooked ten between the two of us in under 3 hours. He landed 3 steelies and a brown. Yours truly went 0 for 3 losing a hog chromer right at my feet. It was truly his day as I got taken to school. I hooked my fish on x legs and he got all his on yarn.

I'll let dethroe explain the whole centerpinning thing, basically it's a new way to fish a float that is growing in popularity fast. Not quite spin fishing, not quite fly fishing. But from what I have seen on the river, it's deadly.

I love that i can say this on FM and not get killed.....BAIT IS FOR SISSYS! JK man tongue.gif Glad you had success this weekend.

Got out today and all I can say was BBBBBRRRRRR!!! Cleaning ice out of your guides after 3 casts got old really fast. Luckily we found quite a few fish. We had good luck hooking fish not so good luck landing them. It gets tough when you are standing right off the bank in waist to chest high water and you can't chase them downstream and keep them out of trees and brush. We did land a few though and any day on the Brule is a good day in my opinion.

Here's a pic of one of my fish from today:

l_baf123793a1b6f7a0b7e56b5d5fb0256.jpg

well... little late but here goes.... I am new to the steelehead fishing as in tomorrow will be my second time ever doing it. don't know really where to go or what to look for. if anyone is flying solo and wants some company tomorrow i would love to tag along. i am going to leave duluth at 4am tomorrow and will go to a bridge on hwy H. dont know the name but i believe its the first bridge from brule. So if anyone wouldn't mind a buddy for the day i would greatly appreciate it.

Jeremy