• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

I agree that more people need to JUST GET OUT AND FISH, rather then depending on the internet for secret spots. Small lakes and streams should not be given up on-line. I see way too many people across the forums asking about a small lake or stream and asking how the fishing is there. Sometimes people reply, sometimes they don't but I see the point how people are becoming way too dependent.

I want to appologize once again to BWTrout, if I wouldn't have jumped to conclusions this discussion would have never even been brought up.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

here are some fish that were caught below hwy 2 and above the lake they week of opener. smile.gif

My Roommate and a decent buck caught on gravel

DSC00347.jpg

a upper 20" Hen full of Spawn, lets remember to let those hens still full spawn go, they only stock a few hundred fish a year, less then 3% of the returning fish are stocked. If you need spawn please harvest a looper from the North Shore, they are put there to taken out.

DSC00350.jpg

The roommate with a buck on the morning the snow came.

DSC00352.jpg

A buddy of mine from school and his first head, not big but very neat color/spot pattern

DSC00359.jpg

Me and my first fish of the year

DSC00361.jpg

The roommate with a real healthy stocked Hen. notice the fin clip.

DSC00379.jpg

DSC00380.jpg

my big fish for the week, a decent 27" hen still tight.

DSC00383.jpg

here are a few that Danothejigasuaras caught

this one is around 26"

100_1137.jpg

two more that were caught within 10 minutes of each other and about 20 mins after the first.

100_1139.jpg

100_1141.jpg

I spent the weekend in Brule and fished all day Saturday and half the day today. Yesterday the place was a zoo, due to the nice weather and the weekend, but we managed to find some open water to get our lines wet. A buddy of mine hooked a 30+ in. female and after a 12 min. fight lost it to some blow down on the bank. If only he had brought the 8 wt. from CO, not his 6 confused.gif I ended up with a 14 in. Skip Jack and that was it for the action. Most of the people I talked to had the same report, SLOW!!! I did go to the Winnebajoo (sp?) brigde and spotted some spawing action, but other than that we did not see a lot of fish on the reds. Water temp was 40-45 depending on the time of day and was fairly clear. The stones are out as well as the BWO's. My best guess is that the run is about a 1/3 of the way through.

I had to work for the fish this weekend and found them at very different spots. I haven't taken as many pictures as I wanted to... I don't care to handle them or have em out longer than necessary to get the hook out but here's a couple. I would definately take some pics of keepers but I have had trouble in that department. frown.gif The little buck was my first fish this opener and after not taking pics of all of my fish after that i had to get a pic of this beautiful 25 7/8" hen caught today. She was a total babe. wink.gif

picture026tu0.jpg

picture054ew3.jpg

I've been catchin fish too, slow and steady.

On another note, i had heard about it on other sites, and saw it twice this weekend myself. ZIPPED FISH! People are cutting open fish for the eggs and tossing the fish. The ones i had heard about were 23-24", but the fish i found were actually legal size! Why would you cut a legal fish for the eggs and just toss it? I am amazed at the pigs out there, not to mention they will give me, the spawn king, a bad name shocked.gif

Anyone else found this garbage?

DeathRoe, it may not be people killing them on purpose and then stripping them, it could be that they killed them accidentaly with a swallowed hook or found them like that after a natural death. I saw an old guy catch a hen and milk her....not something I would do, but to each his own. Most people on the Brule are responsible CPR fishermen and women and I would hate to start a witchhunt.

SORRY, SORRY, SORRY.............wrong wording.....he did not milk it into a bag or recepticle, he was checking to see if it had dropped yet, it had...... NOTHING CAME OUT!!!! He was not squeezing it and pushing on the belly. I would certainly have said something to him if he had been storing it and then fishing with it. I am better than that and again would have said something. Along those lines, it would be nice to see some DNR folks walking the paths along the river to let people know that they are there.

It makes it hard for poachers to get caught when very few people have cell reception at the brule. It would be nice to see the DNR establish more of a pressence on the brule, but it has to be tough with so many access points I understand they can't be everywhere at once.

i thought you meant he milked her to use the eggs for bait!

I agree it's tough for wardens to be everywhere- but that goes for state wide not just the Brule. That's not the point (to be everywhere). Like previously stated though- they need to be present more often. Just so people think they MIGHT be stopped and checked. Maybe they won't be so quick to throw out their garbage either if there's someone watching them with some binocs!

DNR in many states just dont have enough CO's to do a decent job of catching people breaking the laws. Its up to guys like you and me to report the dump that some people try to get away with. Like Quick says its ahrd to call when your cel dont have reception. A car or truck license number helps though. wink.gif