• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

26 in of ice and pulling the house off. why

night bite

In most years there is good ice at this time. The reason for the date is because ice conditions can change rapidly, in as little a just a few days, from this point on. This year in particular, without any snow cover to reflect the sun I predict that we'll get a couple warm and bright sunny days and the ice will be honeycombed real quick.

It's not practical for the DNR to try and adjust the season on the fly. Too many would not remain aware of the changes and get caught either illegally or environmentally.

Besides, you can still use your house. You just can't leave it overnight.

Bob

BobT said it very well. Just yesterday I was fishing on a southcentral MN lake and by 4:30pm, the ice at the launch was just a mess. Water standing 4" at least and the high was about 38 degrees.

The shorelines are the first to go when it comes to melting ice. The heat from the sun, runoff from the launch parking lot, etc.

Not only can it get unsafe out on the ice (houses absorb heat and melt ice under the house), but the shoreline at the launches deteriorate quickly too. It won't be long now and we'll be seeing temps reach the upper 40's and low 50's.

Only until midnight:

"After the date when ice or fish houses or shelters must be removed, portable shelters may be placed on the ice and used from one hour before sunrise to midnight, but only if there is an open fishing season on the lake." -- pg. 59 of the regs book

And, in the infamous words of at least one CO I've spoke to: "All shelters are portable." I think what he meant was that if you wanted to haul your wheeler out and back home every day in March, that would be okay. Dumb, but okay. smirk.gif

I understand the need for the rule, but with all the nice houses folks have nowadays, would it be a good idea to allow houses to stay on the ice overnight(I am specifically talking about wheelhouses) as long as they are always occupied and taken off when people leave?? Just a thought. Am I the only one who thinks this is a good idea????

I Agree. I don’t see why you shouldn’t be able to stay in it overnight. I know I feel a lot safer in my house now then in the beginning of the year when the ice varies so darn much. In my opinion I think it should be the same as the beginning of the year, go out at your own risk.

I agree also. I don't understand why it would be necessary to remove by midnight even if one is still using it. I would be more acceptable to a rule where you must not leave it unoccupied.

Bob

I'm going to throw some kerosene on this fire!!! mad.gif

Quote:

Only until midnight:

"After the date when ice or fish houses or shelters must be removed, portable shelters may be placed on the ice and used from one hour before sunrise to midnight, but only if there is an open fishing season on the lake." -- pg. 59 of the regs book

And on the same page, above your quote:

Shelter Removal Dates

Dark houses, fish houses, and shelters must be off the ice no later than midnight for each of the dates given in the following categories below.

Fish houses or shelters on waters north of the line* may remain on the ice between midnight and one hour before sunrise only when occupied

or attended.

Someone unravel that knot for us!!! Sounds to me like all of this page in the booklet put together says you can go north of Hwy 2, pull a wheelhouse or a skid house out (but not a portable or a spear house), and stay in it all night after the removal date passes - as long as you stay in it or right outside!

Or is the CO who said "all shelters are portable" saying not to test this part of the regs 'cause he'll cite you??? confused.gif

Quote:

I'm going to throw some kerosene on this fire!!!
mad.gif

Quote:

Only until midnight:

And on the same page, above your quote:

Shelter Removal Dates

Dark houses, fish houses, and shelters must be off the ice no later than midnight for each of the dates given in the following categories below.

Fish houses or shelters on waters north of the line* may remain on the ice between midnight and one hour before sunrise only when occupied

or attended.

Someone unravel that knot for us!!! Sounds to me like all of this page in the booklet put together says you can go north of Hwy 2, pull a wheelhouse or a skid house out (but not a portable or a spear house), and stay in it all night after the removal date passes - as long as you stay in it or right outside!

You appear to be correct, federline... The convoluted way this page is worded, a guy could ignore the removal deadline as long as: a) his shack is north of the line, B) he is inside the house from midnight until an hour before sunrise each day, and c) he has a good lawyer, underwater salvage guy, and undertaker. grin.gif