• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Berkley Gulp or Powerbait Leechs

Seth

Forget the leeches. I've tried them with little success. Power bait minnows work very well for vertical jigging, Gulp less so. BFN ringies, K grubs and paddletails are go to plastics. Have had some success using the Gulp minnow grub and they are coming out with product that looks more like a real twister tail that might be really good. Anyone notice that Power Bait grubs are becoming very scarce??

I have tried the leeches and crawlers in both powerbait and Gulp with very limited success. Powerminnow's have been the best of these products for me, especially for crappies. I'll take crank baits over these if I had to choose, still live bait wins for me.

I always find it funny that the only people that say Gulp products outfish live bait are the people getting paid to say that.

I would have to agree with the group, when I have been on really good leech bite for walleyes rigging, and just to see if it made a difference, stick a berkley leech down, no bites. Go back to real leeches, bites.

Same with the crawlers. My experience has been pretty disappointing.

However with Berkley Power Grubs for smallmouth are amazing. Very good success on the Mississippi up by Monticello and Mille Lacs. Won't go smallmouth fishing with out my grubs.

I have seen Power grubs outfish live bait a few times. We were fishing a lake with leeches and crawlers on spinners/bouncers and had limited success when A friend puts a power grub on his spinner and we all started laughing at him and the next thing you know he has 7 walleyes in the boat to our one. Worked like that for the next 3-4 weeks. I always carry powerbait with me since then.

Rainman

The most walleyes reported caught & released in 1 day last year in the Rainy Lake creel survey were taken on Gulp. That report came from somebody who doesn't stretch the truth.

My personal best day for walleyes was using 4" Power grubs.

I think in both of those instances the fish were aggressive and would've taken live bait very well too. What I prefer about plastics with a hot bite is they simply last longer on a jig and are easier to handle.

When the fish are neutral or negative I still resort to live bait though.

Quote:

I wounder what GULP actually tastes like!
ooo.gif

mw

Salt, garlic and a hint of pickled herring; hey it was five bucks (outdoors with jonny p does not condone nor promote the eating of gulp, power bait or any artifical snack) smile.gif

I know on Red Power minnows and grub tails will out produce unless the fish are ultra negative, then it is small leeches.