• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Tracks for my Sportsman, "now installed"!!!

Catmendo

I just brought my 700 home from the dealer today with the Polaris track system now installed! I never went hog wild with the new set-up today (it's way to cold here) but naturally I did test it out for about half an hour. I drove her into and along deep drifts that run parrallel along a treeline and I couldn't wait until I got into some serious power. She absolutely walked through (over) the powered snow effortlessly and in a most impressive way! I also decided to see if I could get into trouble by driving into high drifts that were caused by Willows and Dogwoods. Usually you can really get buried in this kind of nasty stuff yet my Sportsman never once struggled!!! No one (who's thinking clearing) would ever consider taking a snomobile over this kind of terrain without expecting to do a lot of cursing and digging and some more cursing!

As soon as there's a slight change away from this nasty cold snap, Lake Winnipeg will be the real test!!!

Waskawood,

Tracks on an ATV are simply unbelievable. They really do work in deep snow. The Prospector tracks from Polaris are for snow only or you can spend another $2500 and get the Mattracks, the only track set that'll work in any terrain. Personally, I wouldn't buy a snowmobile due to the fact of what I know about ATV tracks and how well they do work.

I'm really interested in these tracks for my Sportsman x2. How much overall length is added to the ATV with these tracks? I'm curious if my plow would still fit on the front and if my turning radius would be limited. Also how easy are they to take on/off for summer use? Thanks, Mike

The tracks will add some additional inch's to the over all length of the ATV. The dealer who I have been dealing with modifies the plows mounting bracking in order to allow for adequate clearence between the plow and the tracks. My V-plow no sits nine inch's further ahead than before the modification and it works great!

Another observation I found is how track system alters your steering ability while making turns, making tight turns is no longer an option. Then again from my personal perspective this is a non-issue as I purchased the machine with ice fishing in mind, first and foremost. In fact I hardly ride it during the summer....simply no time! tongue.gif

I had a chance to try out a buddies 700 with the polaris tracks yesterday. Absolutely awesome, now I will need to pony up some cash and get a set of these bad boys. It was a blast and they went thru every drift I could find. The speed also amazed me, gas consumption left something to be desired though. They also do donuts nicely, not that I would recommend them for that purpose.

I was hesitant but now am sold, I will be looking to trade in my 06 500 efi and picking up a 700 or 800 with the track system before nect winter. grin.gif

I still haven't been able to afford the time that is necessary to allow me to head out on Lake Winnipeg! frown.gif However I did fire-up the Polaris again today I headed for the deepest snow available. I don't have to travel far or waste a lot of time looking for deep, soft snow. The main drainage ditch that runs parallel with the road where I live is made to order for anyone having the urge to try and get heavy machine stuck! smile.gif I gave it an honest effort but to no avail, I simply could not get the 700 into a situation where I could not simply drive out of.....now that's impressive! A couple of weeks ago while my quad was still fitted with tires, I managed to get her seriously stuck on four separate occasions while on Lake Winnipeg. Talk about a major improvement!

Cat, how much does the turning radius change? Do you think that the extra weight of a Ranger would be too much for the tracks. I would love to have a Ranger on tracks if it would work. Getting too old to swing my leg very high!!! grin.gif

You can put tracks on a Ranger. You can even put tracks on a 6x6 Ranger (six separate tracks). I know they have a picture on Mattracks HSOforum of a Ranger w/ a cab outfitted with tracks. That would be an ideal outfit for ice fishing. The Mattracks are quite a bit more expensive than the Polaris brand as you can use them year round. Probably close to six grand for a set for a Ranger.

Quote:

I was in New York a few weeks back and there was deep slush on the lake. The machine went through it like nothing. I would recommend not to go to fast in the slush or you will take a bath. Unfortunity I know.

Just too fun to resist eh? wink.gif

Bob, I can't wait until we have some serious slush on Lake Winnipeg to have a go at! Reading your post is encouraging!

Anyone who has ever drove "any" type of machine or vehicle into serious slush and ended up getting stuck know's how lousy the experience can be!!!! tongue.gif I have been on trips where slush had put an early end to the day! There's nothing more frustrating than to spend an hour or two attempting to free up a machine that has been buried in deep slush. The body will only stand knee deep freezing cold water for a short period of time before you have to take a break in order to warm up.

Gus, it was. grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif By the end of the day I had so much ice build up on it was almost hard to see the color of the machine. I spent a hour after getting done with fishing chipping off ice with a rubber mallet. I think I chipped off 20 pounds of ice.

Tough call Hawkeye, 2400#'s is asking a lot of any ATV, even though it's on ski's! I guess under ideal ice conditons, meaning very little snow cover to increase friction and drag, you might get by. Up in my part of the world we have loads of snow covered ice (especially this winter) and I don't think I would subject my 700 to that kind of punishment. I would like to hear other's comments on this one........so have at 'er gents! wink.gif

A friend of mine has tracks on his 700 Sportsman and he can pull his 8x14 Custom built Klave house through just about anything including alot of slush. I have personally saw him put it through the test on L.O.W. although I wouldn't do that to my machine. Normal pulling around I think your ATV would handle your house alright.

Sorry for not getting back sooner, I've been swamped searching and catching "BIG" walleye on Lake Winnipeg...LOL!

Not only did I manage to find deep snow, I also accidently found some serious slush (I should say it found me) and the tracks perormed better than I ever could have hoped for!!!!

My 700 tsman is one tough machine that packs plenty of muscle when called upon. The tracks system have actually "upped" the ante by increasing it's torque!