• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

2007 MDHA Food plot seed discount

Its that time again. Time to be thinking food plots.

The cost of the seed went up this year, but I am very happy to report that we are selling it at the same price as we did last year!

Also, this year we have a new blend we are offering. Its called the Cold Weather Blend.

Here is the pricing on our seed for 2007. All prices are 50% off advertised prices on the MDHA HSOforum. We do this by using our money from the Hides for Habitat program, and pay for half the price of the seed.

10 lb Wildlife Blend $20

25 lb Wildlife Blend $45

10 lb Clover Blend $15

25 lb Clover Blend $35

10 lb Annual Blend $20

25 lb Annual Blend $45

25 lb Cold Weather Blend $10. Please be aware that this seed is planted at 25 lbs/acre, whereas all the other blends are roughly 8 lbs/acre.

Remember, your donated Hides For Habitat is creating the funding to help bring these prices to YOU. So please remember, that buck you shoot next fall over your MDHA food plot, bring that hide to a Hides For Habitat drop box. It will help feed this program for years to come! Its a win/win for everyone.

Any questions, please feel free to call me at 763-262-6810 or email me at [email protected]

I work in Maple Grove, live in Big Lake, and travel to Ottertail County frequently. So there are lots of options for meeting up to get seed from me. Just shoot me a note, and we'll see what we can figure out.

PS - We also have a Plotmaster that we own and its for rent to anyone that needs it. Its on a trailer and ready to go to whomever gets in line first. If interested, let me know. We can talk about what it would cost for you to use it, depending on where you need to bring it and for how long you need it.

Mark Christianson

Ah, I will update my original post as far as how to get it.

I work in Maple Grove, live in Big Lake, and travel to Ottertail County frequently. So any place in between work and Ottertail is an option to meet up.

Rocks arent necessarily a problem, the problem is how you get soil exposed to spread some seed. If you can get some dirt worked up, you only plant this stuff 1/8" to 1/4". Basically broadcast and lightly drag it in.

You can plant spring or late summer with them. The Cold Weather blend is recommended for late summer really.

I do both spring and late summer plantings.

I am not an agronomist or whatever you call a guy that knows ag... grin.gif

But if you have soils with a minimum ph of around 6, you will be fine.

If its a little less, well its not ideal, but the way I look at it, I am not looking for the absolute highest yield possible either. I have spots that are not ideal conditions, but the stuff grows pretty darn good. Well, if you get some rain. Last year sucked for most stuff. But I think with turnips like this in a couple spots, I did something right. cool.gif

brandonjul200611mediumpb2.jpg

HOLY S%$% those are some big Turnups. You had it right Agronomist. Don't worry my dad is still having difficulties trying to pernounce it also and his son is one. If you do have any pH issues liming is kinda expensive but it makes up big time in yield. If you have any questions drop me a line sometime and I'll try to help you out if I can. I know my location we sell Antler King products if anyone is interested. But if you have some questions drop me a line and I'll try to help you out the most as I can.

[email protected]

we saw the same thing this summer with sugar beets. Got really big and I'm sure the same thing happened with your Turnips. The tap root was able to follow the water down and the turnup was able to keep with the moisture. But when July hit the rain kinda ran out and I don't know how big turnips get but you could have ran into a lack of nutrients or the soil wouldn't let them grow depending on Fertility and soil type. But because of it being so dry I would wouldn't be shocked if they "Stunted" and didn't grow any more because of the lake of water. But that is still a heck of turnip not taking that away from the picture but think if we got rain in July how big it would be?

BLB What would you recommend for planting on the top of a drainage ditch? It is only about 15-20 feet wide and doesn't have much for protection from the sun. Right now it is all grass/burning weed on the ditch. If anybody else has ideas or experience with this kind of area let me know what success/failures you've had.

Thanks

A lot would depend on the soil type and the fertility of it.

Hard to say what would work best.

Do you want to plant something every year(annual), or do you want to plant something and let it run for a few years(Perrenial)?

I can say I have very dark soil, to very light sandy soil, and have had decent luck with all of it.

The dark heavy stuff isnt too great on wet years, and that sandy stuff stinks in the dry years. I guess thats obvious without saying, but my point is that depending on the year, its a toss up as to what may or may not work on that location.

I plan to place my initial order in the next couple of weeks, so for those of you that have sent me your requests, I will get back with each of you to set up pick up/delivery times and locations.

For anyone else interested, just shoot me a note and I can add you to the list.

One final note to everyone before I place the first order.

I am ordering the first load of seed this week. So if any of you are interested in getting some in the first order, let me know before Wednesday this week.

I will place another order in a month or so, or as needed.

I should have the first load of seed within 1 to 2 weeks, so I will contact all of you via email to let you know its here, and figure out pickup of it.

Send me an email if you have any questions.

[email protected]

See my first post for info regarding pricing and such.

This is a great price guys, about half of what it normally sells for and best of all the deer like them all!! I planted some of the annual mix right below my house and the deer have it eaten down to nothing and are still digging after this last snow. The clover mix is a nice mix, the deer always eat it down to nothing, I'm planting about 6 more acres this spring to see if I can grow more than the deer can eat, and the Wildlife Blend gives you the best of both worlds, some of the annuals yet it lasts more than one year.

In other words, if you're going to plant a food plot and can make the connection with BLB, the price is right, do it!!

Mark, I'll be emailing you shortly, I think I'll be getting about six twenty-five pounders!!!! smile.gif

BLB Thanks for getting back to my email so quick. I am going to be ordering some soon, as I will be heading up to Ottertail County quite a bit. I just don't know which I should order. At this point, we will be doing about 2- 1 acres plots. I am leaning towards the cold weather blend. Corn and Beans are prevelant in the area we hunt. Do you have any suggestions.

DL

I would like to get some but I dont know what to plant, or when.My land is in northern Wisconsin, its all wooded land, with some very small openings, ground is somewhat sandy, but with all the trees it stays pretty moist. Now my question, is there something that will grow with minimum, sun? that will grow well in northern Wisconsin, in a sandy soil, I would prefer not to plant every year, but im sure I would add to what I have planted. There are alot of deer in the area, but its mostly wooded,so a food plot would hold them in my general area Im thinking. Im only thinking of maybe an acre or so, and since its such a small area I would be planting would it be best to plant in the late summer so it isnt all torn up by deer hunting? There is also alot of bear in the area, I dont want to be attracting more bear. What are your suggustions.

BLB

I have been thinking of putting in a food plot in the woods in North dakota where I hunt. This would be in a shaded area in the woods around the trees. The soil is very light and somewhat sandy. Is there a seed that I could plant with a rake and then seed it and rake over it again that would do well in this type area? Tough spot to get any machines in.

Looking for a cover that would be ready to eat mid to late fall.

If it would be easier to call, my phone is 320-510-1650.

Thanks-Tom

Most clover doesn't like sand - maybe red clover or an annual clover would work, but they usually aren't as preferred by deer as the better white clovers.

Light sandy soil typically means alfalfa, but that requires a lot of work.

Try an annual, like the brassica / annual clover blend that BLB has available. Annuals are much mroe vigorous growers and not as fussy about soil conditions, as compared to clover.

Well, Perchy is one thats taught me a lot. No doubt.

From my personal experience, the lighter soil doesnt do as good with clovers, but I have learned a few things.

The clover does decent where sun is minimized. Even in soil that might be a bit "light". But one thing I have found is that the soil where there is restricted light, is also soil that has a compost layer to it as well. Its amazing how the leaves and debris decomposition on our place has given a good area to plant. You go out to the field line and beyond and its all different.

I have a plot thats a spot we cleared out in the woods, not 20 yds from an old field we have. This past year, it was dry as heck. That plot did real good. I believe partly because of the canopy above, but also because the soil has a little more luster to it from the composting. I had some clover adjacent to it in the field and it was a dust bowl, literally.

I guess what I am getting at, is that I have found the clovers to do pretty good in a shaded/composted debris locations. The soil deep down may be light and sandy, but its got more than an open, light soiled location.

You make a good point about soil in the woods being heavier and having more "stuff" in it, so maybe a white clover would work. White clover roots pretty much stay in the top 4" or so of soil I think, whereas alfalfa and the red clovers have roots that go deeper to find moisture.