• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Shimano Corvalus

It's OK on the entry level, depends on how much you're going to use it. Let's put it this way, I'll be selling one this spring on a Compre rod to my brother, who's more of a "recreational" muskie fisherman. Not a bad set-up at all, but moreso for the lures with less resistance and use/abuse.

BrainLucky13's post tells it all, they are not as solid as other Shimano reels like the Cardiff and the Calcuttas. Classic case of getting what you pay for in my opinion. I have had success and no issues with the Daiwa Lunas.

Chris

hmm..... a guy at gander recommend them to me for my first set up and on our 2 weeks trip to vermillion last summer it was the only baitcaster that lasted the entire 2 weeks. my buddy went through 2 abu garcia 500s and a spinning reel. his friends also burned up an abu and a mitchell. it squeaks now but soo far soo good.... blush.gif we always say the mouse is hungry when it squeaks grin.gifgrin.gif im gonna get a new one before this summers trip. anyone try those gold gander mountain guide series reels??? confused.gifconfused.gif

I have a silver and a gold model as well as the line of Abu's with 5500's and 6600's and Records and actually started muskie fishing using the silver and gold Gander's. Those are actually made by Pflueger who is owned by Shakespeare believe it or not. That suprised me since I have always hated Shakespeare and loved Pflueger for their bass fishing low profile reels and spinning reels. But back to the subject, the reels are decent. I would grab my Record or 6600 before those but they are dependable, and well built. We had a problem with the gold one, but took it to Gander several months later with a tattered receipt and no questions asked I walked out with a brand new one. If it were a Abu Garcia, you'd be paying $$$$ to get it shipped, more $$$$ to get it fixed, and the invaluable time that it's gone being rapiared for god only knows how long. For the money, it's better than the Corvalus for sure!

I have heard alot of people having bad experiences with the Corvalus, that it can`t take the punishment.You may want to consider a Shimano Cardiff,its about $99 at Thorne Brothers and more sturdy.

ok another q....... are those 6-800 dollar reels for muskie as good as they claim. they are backed by a lifetime warrenty the ones i have seen. Would it make more sense to pop out money for one of those reels rather than another reel every season or are they also not as good as they claim??

I guess it depends how much $ you want to spend...I bought one at the Muskie Expo from Thorne Bro's with a Compre and it's my favorite setup.

I thought I'd try a Cardiff just to see if there was a noticeable difference, but they weren't in stock where I was shopping so I got another Corvalus and I have had no complaints with either of my two Corvalus's for the first 20-25 outings, or so.

I've used the Calcutta's and they are nice, but there 3 times the price and not 3 times the reel by any means IMO. It's all what you like if it doesn't break.

By the way, if no one mentioned it, I believe all those guide series baitcaster's are made by Pfleuger.