• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

How do you choose a Canadian fishing destination?

I'm overwhelmed on how an individual decides on a place to go in Canada. There are a million lakes & places to go even if you narrow it down to Manitoba or Ontario. My wife is interested in going, so I'm not looking for a place that caters to millionaires or the jack-pine savage style roughing it. I don't need or even desire trophy style fishing, just a lot of constant action to keep the wife interested. Probably a place with a main lodge, so I would say a remote fly-in to a lone cabin on a lake is not the ticket.

A trip to the All-Canada Show or sports shows just loads a bag with brochures and confuses me further.....

Any suggestions from those of you out there that have gone through this?

Cobra,

You are farther along in your decision making process than you think. You have eliminated luxury accomodations and any "Rustic" resorts already. You favor steady action over making a trophy the priority. Do you prefer doing your own cooking? The "American Plan"? If you do your own cooking, do you want the option of a restaurant nearby in case you want to take a break from cooking once or twice while you are there? Do you prefer a large lake with lots of options or do you prefer to stay on smaller water. Do you have your own boat? Will you want the option to hire a guide, do you prefer to just find your own spots or a little of both? I know this may make it sound confusing again but once you settle all of those questions many of us here on the forum will be able to offer you some options to consider. Oh and by the way, the first opinion I will give you is if a lake has not been reccomemended by a friend that has been there go to a well known lake such as LOW, Rainy, Lac Seul, etc.

Thanks for your post Eastwind!

In answer to your questions, I think my wife would prefer a place with a main lodge on the grounds. We did the American Plan on Kabetogama a couple years ago and being an accounting type she resisted at 1st and loved it later. We would however be open to cooking. I've fished Mille Lacs & Leech a lot, so I'm OK with large water, but If you go that far a smaller lake takes away the possibility of windy days shutting you out. I do have my own boat. I'm not sure I want to take it that far or travel down 40 miles of gravel backroads to get to a place to fish. Dragging a 18-19 ft boat might help run up a good deal more of additional fuel usage. Relative to the guide question, I've always been in favor of getting a jump on a strange lake with the help of a guide. It saves a lot of scouting & technique time and can prevent running up on a stray water hazard such as a mid lake boulder.

One other Point

I'm good with pike, eyes & smallies.

I'm sure the bride would insist on an eye lake.

I think that covers most of the items you mentioned....

As far as LOW, I think we were looking to go a bit farther - just not Sask, Yukon, NWT and acrtic circle regions... More mid to lower Manitoba or Ontario.

I really appreciate your time and input on this!

here are two lodges that i would recomend one is on a indian reservation and i have been going to for the last couple years and used to go here when I was young.....Mahkwa Lodge on Lac Seul....great accomodations freindly people and resonable rates.....if they have openings.....

another option is Winoga Lodge....it is also around Lac Seul but this is a resort that is owned by a couple from elk river and I have been there 3-4 times when i was younger. nice cabins great people and great fishing.....good luck on your choices and enjoy your trip....

Thanks for the post Ozzie!

I actually may have their brochure from the All-Canada Show last weekend. I talked to them a bit... The name caught my eye because I knew it (Mahkwa) meant bear. It's a bear hunting thing.... Thanks again for the post!

I've been traveling to Ontario for 25 years and have tried just about eveything from First Class American Plan with guide to being dumped out of a airplane with my tent and canoe. All resorts are not created equal. Some seemingly nice places don't live up to thier claims of quality and helpfulness. If I were going to CA for the first time and had the critiera you stated I would go to Lake of the Woods - Young's Resort and Witch Bay at Nestor Falls are two resorts that are full service, well run and the owners will make sure you have a sucessful trip. Lake of the Woods will provide access to walleye, northerns, smallmouth bass and crappie. Nestor Falls is a very small town, but can provide just about all services.

Hey Cobra!! The comment about you being half the way toward a selection is right. Every time the spouse is in the mix, there seem to be extra requiremtns. Having "been there, done that," I offer an observation. For years I tried to talk my wife of 33 years into going North, but to no avail.

Not with the bugs, it will be too rustic, I don't want to cook, I don't want to eat your cooking, its too far to drive, etc. I'm sure all of us have heard it, and you may already have heard it also.

After an All-Canada show, I showed her the Temple Bay brochure. I talked her into it last summer, and she (we) had a ball. We climbed on their charter bus in Minneapolis, had a nice ride, checked into our individual cabin, and ate three good meals a day in the lodge for 5 days.

She enjoyed the small bar, with tv, pool tables, and a decent surrounding. We did take the time (and $) to hire a guide for 4 of the 5 days we were there. Our fish was freeze-packed for the ride back, and was in great shape for Summer fish frys....

How good was it? she wants to go back again this ('07) summer. We're already making plans.

Good luck...if you can talk her into it, you'll enjoy it.

Cobra,

All of the suggestions that you've gotten make sense. I agree with DownDeep that Lake of the Woods would be an excellent choice for someone new to Canada trips. Most of my open water experience in Canada is out of Morson, Ontario on Lake of the Woods. I have stayed at both Buena Vista and Mylies and have been happy with both. My experience with the Nestors Falls area is mostly in the Winter time. However, I did stay at the lodge ( Muskie Bay Resort) I usually stay with during my ice fishing trips in May of 05 for a change of pace from the Morson area. This lodge is on Crow Lake and also offers you easy access to LOW via their landing 3 or 4 miles from the main lodge. You can fish Lakers or Muskies on Crow one day and Walleyes, Smallies, Crappies, Northern etc. on LOW another day. You need to trailer you boat from one lake to get to the other but you can leave your boat docked at Muskie Bay. Both Morson and Nestor Falls have plenty of restaurants within a short drive. Muskie Bay offers a meal plan that is set up per day and Buena Vista has a restaurant that is also a short drive from Mylie's. I'm sure that you will have ample opportunity for a great time and some good fishing no matter which of these resorts you choose.

Cobra,

I have been going to Lecuyers Resort my whole life. We usually go 3-4 times a year. Everybody I have brought up there has fallen in love with it. It is a resort and campground in Nestor Falls (about 7 hrs from the Twin Cities). They have great guides and accommodations for everyone (family friendly). They are competitively priced also. You can't beat the fishing on Lake of the Woods!

You can search for them on the internet.

I hope this helps.

My son and I are taking our first canadian fishing trip in June. I chose Temple Bay Lodge on Eagle Lake because they provide a coach bus that picks you up starting in the Twin Cities. They do everything for you so all you do is eat, sleep and fish. Four days/four nights, 2 days guided fishing, for about $750/person. This includes transportation, food, lodging, boat.

OK, so let's narrow this down for the sake of option reduction. My wife doesn't seem too interested in fly-in fishing so......

Other than LOW, what are sugestions for a place you can drive to in Canada and is relately full service at a reasonable price. A lodge with a meal or American Plan option is a plus. She's not at all interested in a strictly catch & release resort. A lunch of smaller walleyes or non-trophy northerns is what she wants. Smallies for fun not eating is a great plus........

You should look at Lac Seulfor some of the best drive in walleye fishing around. Ear Falls end of Lac Seul is more crowded with resorts, but still good fishing. Siox Lookout section of lake has only a handful of places in comparison. I would look at Lost Island Lodge out of Hudson. Lots of different options, very nice place, and reasonably priced.

(No unauthorized links please)

Quote:

Smallies for fun not eating is a great plus........

Lac Seul is starting to pick up in the smallie department. Depending on the time of year, you should hit the mixed bag, walleyes, pike, and smallies in the same hole.

Separation Lake Camp on the English River. They have cabins and American Plan. The resort is a boat in. They will lead you out or give you a ride. You can bring your own boat, use their boats or be guided. Walleyes and pike are easy to find. They give you a map with safe routes marked. It is remote, but full survice. It is located just north of Kenora, Ont.

Hey East Wind,

This is Eric Anderson, and I am thinking of going up to Ontario this summer, and I want to bring my own boat and just camp. I dont have lots of money so flying in is not an option. I just want to fish on a smaller lake with consistnent action of pike. I would not want to drive that far, so I was wondering do you have any suggestions on any lakes that are close to the MN border that I could camp at?? Thanks ANY SUGGESTION WOULD BE APPRECIATED!!!

Thanks Eric