• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

HotSpotOutdoors (HSO) Artic Armor suits

jphersh22

Anyone here use the red Artic Armor suits? Not the blue or grey Ice Armor. I found last year's Ice Armor on sale for about $250, but I also heard these Artic Armor suits are nice as well and they also act as a floatation device.

[Note from admin: Here is the HSO Arctic Armor Suit. Note the HotSpot Outdoors (HSO) logo

icebass.jpg

If you want one like this be sure to ask Dan for the HSO logo when ordering.]

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I also had some questions about the Arctic Armor posted in the "equipment" thread a week ago or so. I still haven't heard anything back about those suits.

Does anyone have one?

I'll probably retype the questions and send it to their sale dept someday.

Hi guys,

What would you like to know? I sell them out of my home and also have some information posted on my HSOforum about the product. We have sold quite a few bibs, jackets and gloves (gloves are back ordered) and I know that there are a few guys that roam this site that are very pleased with theirs. We have not had any complaints and have sold quite a few thus far. I had one guy call last week to order a suit because he and his two friends all fell in the drink over on Mille Lacs and he watched his two friends (who each had Arctic Armor on) float like air mattresses. They were about a mile out and broke through with a 4 wheeler on top of a reef where it was only 3 feet (still scary). I am on the ice every day and I absolutely love mine. It is warm, waterproof and NOT bulky at all. And most importantly, it has a life saving feature. The floatation and the insulation are one in the same, it's like a quilted jacket. We have some in stock and will be ordering again on Monday so we are ready for the Brainerd Jaycees Extravaganza (if we gain a few inches of ice). For info, feel free to call or look on our site (www.walleyedan.com).

Have a nice day,

Walleyedan

My personal opinion on this is they are a must. I myself don't have a set yet but I am pretty sure I will be wearing a set next winter. To me is just silly to pay 250+ dollars for a ice armor suit that isn't floatable. If you can get something that is going to possible save your life it is well worth the price. One thing I have noticed when fishing in Canada in the winter they are many people fishing with floater suits they are very common there.

One question Dan I would want to buy them in the Jacket and Bib combination. I am thinking I might buy the jacket first and then down the road get the bibs. Would just the jacket provide enough floatation if needed.

Iffwalleyes,

That is a good question, but my thoughts are that the jacket would be enough. I'll have to try it, but maybe this time in the pool and not Gull Lake. I'll call the headquarters and see if someone has tested just the jacket.

Heading to Mille Lacs,

Walleyedan

Does the jacket have any zippers to air out at all? (I like having zippers under the pits for the jacket!) And are the wrist cuffs adjustable.

How is the suit between the warm 30 - 40 degrees we have now. Unbearable? Are you pretty much forced to shed the jacket?

Are you, or anyone else going to be at the Sportsmen's show at the Rivercentere next week with the product?

Thanks, I'm very interested.... You are ordering tomorrow!

fastlane,

From what I can tell by looking at the jacket, it looks similar to Ice Team's Ice Armor jacket, so there would be no zipper underneath the armpits. The whole outfit looks the same IMO but just with different material.

I took this quote off of i.d.i gear HSOforum about the material:

"Each Arctic Armor™ suit utilizes 3 layers of our exclusive thermal insulator INSULTEX™. One layer of INSULTEX™ protects a person to sub-zero temperatures. Multiple layers of INSULTEX™ can provide practically unlimited levels of insulation. INSULTEX™ is also windproof, waterproof and buoyant. "

As for your question about 30-40 degree weather, the jacket would be ideal for that weather. Just because they tout the jacket as a sub-zero jacket doesn't mean it can't be an all season jacket for wind,rain, and snow. If it is anything like the Ice Armor jacket, I'd say this will be peerfect for that temp range.

I recently purchased the set from Walleye Dan. Ordered on Thursday morning and was on my doorstep Friday morning. Great service! Have used it in a downpour...rained all day and I was bone dry and warm, there was water everywhere. Hung it up to dry and it was ready in the morning for another day of fishing. It is not heavy, very lightweight.

The only complaint that I have is the zipper. Mine seems to stick a lot and will not start. Don't know if this is just because it is new, but it should work since it is. Have to talk to the company about it. Sucks to have to mess with a zipper for 5 minutes and then the bottom one split apart after it finally goes together. Other than that, it is warm and dry. Was out the other day and it was in the 30's, drilled about 30 holes after walking out and was not sweating. This is not something that you put on and are overheated.

Hey Dan,

Two basic questions:

Is it recognized as a Coast Guard PFD? No biggie, but would be cool if it was for summer.

And are the knees padded? I was looking at some gore tex hunting bibs, but sort of want padded knees, and these seem like the ticket for cold weather boating and ice fishing. Price isn't bad either.

Thanks for info!

Hi guys/gals,

Just got home from Mille Lacs, caught a few. Was out of Appledorns Sunset Bay on the southeast side. Nice resort, nice people, easy access to the lake and only one bridge to cross (and it's a nice one). Arctic Armor......No zippers under the pits, no I'm not going to be at the Sportsmans Show, the cuffs are neoprene and they have velcro too (so yes they are adjustable), they aren't a certified PFD but they will float you as well or better than any life jacket, the knees and butt have 8 layers of Isultex which is plenty of cushion for kneeling on the ice or sitting on a bucket.

Haybinder, I sent you an email. I will find out what IDI has to say and will get back to you. Zippers can cause grief if they don't work properly, I haven't had any other problems. I will get back to you after I hear form them.

We are ordering again tomorrow, so if anyone is intersted in purchasing let us know. We do have some in stock, but not for long.

Walleyedan

The knees and butt are padded. Was out today in 40 mph winds and nothing was getting through. Was perfectly warm amd dry. Knelt dowm in water after drilling holes and my knees were perfectly dry, even after kneeling for 10 minutes. Another great option about this suit is the waterproof gaters inside of the bibs. Makes a great option to cover up the top of your boots, if they are not waterproof. After fishing with this suit, it is second to things that I would not go fishing with...first being my Vex.

Haybinder,

It's first on my list, you can catch fish without a Vexilar but you can't catch fish if you are frozen stiff. It truely is some awesome ice wear and I think most everyone agrees.

I'll call you tomorrow Haybinder.

Walleyedan

I bought a pair of Artic Armor bibs from Walleye Dan. I'm going to have to say that out of all of the warm weather clothing I've purchased over the years, this product is the best. They are wind proof, water resistant, and yet well ventilated. I recommend Artic Armor to anyone and everyone.

No, there aren't any retail outlets right now, but I would be willing to meet you somewhere and you could try some on. I have sold enough where I am pretty good at guessing sizes. If you email your height and weight, I'm thinking I could make the right call (most of the time). If not, you can return it for a different size. I have a sample at S&W Bait which is just north of the Baxer/Brainerd area.

Walleyedan