• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Trapping- What did you catch today?

No Grebe, I've never caught a possum. I don't no of anyone around here that has. The only critter that tends to muck this up, in this area, when I'm dirt trapping, is the skunks. But after I catch a skunk, and make a remake set, then those are deadly on the fox and coyote.

I've been in the fur shed all day putting up fox, bobcats, and beavers for the nafa truck which comes through on the 14th. I came it the house to see if fishermann had caught anything.

I did take a couple hours off to set up a new beaver pond. Can't wait until tomorrow. Good luck everyone

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Borch we can get to within about 50 yards when they are up against the fence. Out on the open tundra at 500 yards when they hear the snowmobile they take off.

I like to shoot the ones I take on my own. It is not really a hunt, but a harvest, as the whole thing is done on snowmachine.

Sorry no pics today leechman, some rough weather out there today is not weather worth going out in. We gave it a shot by GPS and got outside the village and we could not see eachother until we were about 5-10 ft apart. Too easy for one of us to get lost if one of our GPSs failed. Not worth it, I will hit it tomorrow though no matter what. This weather is suppose to let up thursday.

Sorry Grebe, I didn't answer you about mange. I haven't caught a fox with mange for three years. That year I caught 30 sum, and only one with mange. I will say the numbers of red fox in this area has really dropped. Not sure why.

The coyotes seem to have more trouble with mange. Seems like for every 5 coyotes you catch, 2 or 3 are bad.

Fishermann, judging from the picture, you probably should stay home. I would even think of trying to go out.

Nice coyote photo!!! And wonderful thread. I am really enjoying this.

I have a quick possum story to share. We have one that keeps eating from the dog's dish outside and was even coming around during the day and hissing/sneering at me when I yelled at him and tried to chase him off. I think he was sick.

Anyway, I decided it was a good idea to get rid of him for everyone's safety but didn't want to shoot so close to the house so I leaned out a ground story window of the house with my bow and a broadtipped arrow and fired. Complete pass through in the vitals area. He ran off and I looked all over later that day. Couldn't find him. One week later, he's baaaack. I got out the binocs to get a close up of the wound on both sides. Just couldn't believe it. Now, though, whenever I yell at him, he runs like heck and he's only been back a few times since.

Tip...man that is one nice looking coyote photo, you outdid yourself on that one!

I seen a big dog coyote like that,eating out of a dumpster over at the U of M in S.E. Mpls. one morning on the way home from work.

I thought it was a coyote and drove around the block to make sure, yup, here he comes with a piece of garbage in his mouth, walks right past some people on the sidewalk and I'm sure they thought it was a dog. He trots out onto the railroad system and goes on his way...I thought it was pretty cool.

I started trapping this year and havent been doing so good. The only thing Ive caught is 2 cats and a skunk. Ive had 2 traps set off by coyotes but nothing. What am I doing wrong? I Boiled all my traps, sprayed scent killer on my boots, wore rubber gloves. The 2 traps that were set off were both on dirt hole sets with bait in the hole. I know there are tons of coyotes working the fence lines were I have my traps set but never seem to catch them. I have 7 #3 pan traps out. Im targeting coyotes. confused.gif

well I managed one young of the year red during the blizzard. She is a young and small pup but the color she has is great.

about half of my sets are under FEET of snow. I will have a busy weekend digging out, just was not going to happen today.

Some great yote pictures guys, keep them coming.

Young Gun take some pics of your sets and show us where your trap is, how you are setting it, and so on, there are SO many things you could be doing wrong, and there could also be NOTHING you are doing wrong smile.gif I am running over 40 sets and I have 2 or 3 traps sprung everyday with nothing in them. It is just one of those things that happens. But if you can post some more info about what you are doing maybe we can be of some help.

I know there are some guys here with TONS of info who are lerking.

Young Gun, I think fishermann is on to some thing. If you can post a picture of some of your sets, maybe we can see something that you could try different. I have a few suggestions, just from what you have said already. This doesn't mean your doing anything wrong, just some things I do a little different than you. One thing is that I do not wear rubber gloves. I wear the brown jersey gloves that you can but for $2.00. When they get stinky, I use them for remake sets, and get a new pair from new sets. I make sure that when I am handling bait or lure that my gloves are off. I then put my gloves back on, and finish up by putting urine where it belongs. I'm a believer that the bait and lure that you get on your rubber gloves, stays wet and stinky. Then when you pick up a new trap, you get it stinky. Then you start getting critters digging up your sets. I wouldn't worry about scent on your boots, just try not to walk in gas at the gas station etc. I use the victor 1 3/4 coil spring traps for both fox and coyote. I respring my traps about every 3 years, or when I can feel that they a week. I don't know what kind of traps you are using, but I have found over the years, that the square jawed traps do not have the holding power of the round jaw traps. I'm not saying any of these things are your problem, but this would be a start. Now get use a picture or 2, and we can help you with trap position, etc. Just wait until you drive up on your first coyote, you will never forget it. it's great.

What do you use to bed your trap? What type of pan cover are you using?

Fishermann, I looked up the island you live on, on the new google earth satalite site. Pretty cool how you can zoom in on the island and see different things. I'm pretty sure that I could see you have a nice red in the set by the bearing straights. Just kidding.

Leechmann for pan covers I take a ziploc bag and cut it in half and use one half of the bag. I cut my trap bed then sift dry dirt over the trap then cover it with a thin layer of grass. I'll try to get some pictures tonight after school.

I use cupcake holders ironed flat or bat insulation depending on the soil type and weather conditions, both are very inexpensive. Trap placement is key. Need to see those pictures or draw a picture of your set with measurements. tuk

Are your dirt holes being worked? Meaning are they being dug out etc? Or are they just walking by, sniffing and moving on?

Are you keeping the ziplock inside the jaws? Are you cutting out a notch for the dog? Those are all things that slow traps down. I HAVE to cover my whole trap but I am trapping in snow, if you are in dirt, you don't need to cover your jaws, all it does is slow the trap down.

Young gun, I have a few more suggestions. In the early fall, before things start freezing and thawing every night, I don't put anything under my trap. But if the ground is starting to freeze, I put a sandwich bag in the bottom of the trap bed. This will keep the dry dirt that you used to to cover the trap, from wicking up moisture, and freezing the trap down. Then I place the trap, making sure it is very stable. Then I use wax paper, I tear a piece just big enough to fit inside the jaws of the trap. Like fishermann said, I tear a slot for the dog to pop through. I also crinkle the wax paper up, and then smooth it out again. Then I sift dry dirt over the top of it. If you will look back a few pages, I posted a picture of a remake set. Try to blend in the dirt with the surrounding area. Use some type of backing at the set to guide the critter to the trap side of the hole. You'll get it. Just don't give up. I trapped for 3 years before I caught a fox. You are getting some good tips from the guys here. Try some of them, along with some of your own, and pretty soon you come up with something that works. Once you get a little confidence, you'll be a trapping machine.

All who have posted. I have to say, what an excellent idea to start this forum. I do not trap and probably never will, but I am addicted to this. If I were thinking about getting started trapping, this forum would sell me in a second. The pictures and stories will keep me coming back everyday. Good luck to all the trappers, keep up the great work!!

Quote:

All who have posted. I have to say, what an excellent idea to start this forum. I do not trap and probably never will, but I am addicted to this. If I were thinking about getting started trapping, this forum would sell me in a second. The pictures and stories will keep me coming back everyday. Good luck to all the trappers, keep up the great work!!

I hear ya!! I did trap when I was younger and it was full of adventure. Reading the posts between Leechman and Fisherman makes me jealous. I probably will never trap again but it was a fun run

Young gun....Get that old man of yours to let you read the book I sent him....some pretty good stuff for a fox trapper in there! You live in a pretty good area, you should be able to pinch a few? Hey, better yet, I'll send you your own book.

If you have some specific questions that you want to ask directly, have him give you my email address and I'll see if I can help.

My nephew and I took over 100 red fox alone one season, not to mention the grays, coon, coyote, mink, rats and beaver we added to the pile. I just might be able to help, you never know? grin.gif

Grebe I've already read your book cover-cover. That's where I learned how to do most of my trapping. I made 2 more sets tonight I took pictures but it was getting dark and I was in a hurry to get them done so they are not the best.

Here the pics.

Before I covered traps with dirt.

1stmc9.jpg

After

2oj1.jpg

Before

3xf1.jpg

After

4cs1.jpg

Ok so what kind of sets are these? How many traps are you running?

One thing I notice right away is three traps that close together is not necessarly a great idea. 3times more chance of the yote picking up your scent.

Are these dirt hole sets or urin post sets or walk through sets? I am not seeing a dirthole. I also think I can see your bait uncovered, is that legal where you trap? Just a thought, I am not sure what the regs are where you are anymore.

As far your covering it is good, i will comment more in a little bit.

Fishermann222 One of them is a dirt hole set with a small chunk of meet in the hole. I have 7 traps out right now. The reason I have 3 traps is because when I had one the coyotes would just take the bait and go not stepping on the trap. So I figured the more traps the better. I removed one of the traps tonight so there only 2 now. I never though about the bait having to be covered but I'll find out. Thanks for all the help you guys.

Really have enjoyed reading all the trapping posts - especially yours fisherman222 - it doesn't hurt that I love the Great Land!!

The pics and your description of next to 0 visibility could really seem bizarre to someone who's never experienced a real blizzard before. Growing up in the Red River Valley I remember storms when visibility was literally 5' or less like you noted. If cars are left outside during those conditions it's not uncommon to open the hood after the storm and see nothing but a white block of snow!! Sorry for getting a little off topic here. Those pics really brought back memories.