• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Trapping- What did you catch today?

Ok youngguns some things to think about.

I don't see any guide sticks anywhere. Some simple guide sticks used to fence off your bait a little bit will help direct the yote where to step. Right now when I look at that first set the yote can come in from behind, or the sides and grab the bait and run. If they don't have to work for it they will take it and run. They will not sit there and eat it. So by placing some stepping sticks on the sides of your trap it will help direct his foot where you want him to step. Also you need to make the bait less accessable. Way to easy for him to get the bait. Remember he does not have to see it, just has to smell it.

If you look at Leechmans photo you can see how he has grass is going out from a V from his dirthole. That is to direct the yote to step right on his pan.

Your second set looks a bit better, my guess is thats your dirthole set right? A few comments on that. Spread some dirt around so it looks like something has been digging. Have some dirt coming out from the hole in a V starting at the hole if that makes any sense. It adds eye appeal.

Your sets also look like they may not be "open" enough. K9's do not like to be in an area where they can not see in all directions. If they are using the fence to walk make a dirthole set with eye appeal away from the fence, but so they can still see it from the trail they are using. They are more likely to spend time "working" the dirt hole that way if they can see around them. In both your sets you have a tree or a pole for backing, something that always seems like a good idea, but does not always work. If you make a set like that try bedding your trap back about 8 inches from the hole.

The other problem with having a trap placed so close to a fence is if you get a yote he may rub up against the fence alot which will cause him to become rubbed as he tries to fight the trap.

I hope some of these ideas help. These are not things you NEED to do, but they are things I would play around with.

One more thing I like to do, I don't know if it makes a difference or not, but I place the side of my trap with the dog on the side toward the dirt hole or bait. You don't want the yote stepping on the dog and pan at the same time. It will cause the trap to fire too slowly.

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Glad you guys like the pics. All my sets were froze down today so no fox. I tripped all the traps as I have to travel to Bethel tomorrow and will not be back until Saturday evening. I will spend Sunday digging out and getting reset, I hope it cools off a bit, we are in freeze/thaw conditions right now, when snow trapping that makes it about impossible, unless you are snaring.

Young gun, I think Fishermann has given you some good ideas. I am going to give your just a few more things to think about. Remember, all of these things are just things we try to use. What you need to do, is try something he told you and something I may have told you and something your already doing, put it all together and make something that works for you.

I will say from the pictures, I prefer my set location, away from the taller bushes and trees. I've noticed over the years, not always, but more often then not, that the coyotes tend to shy away from real high backing. What I mean is that if I were walking with you, and we were both going to set a trap at each location, I would set out away from those bushes. If I were setting in a little opening, I would pick the first thing that catches your eyes as you enter the opening, a thick clump of grass, a rock that is bigger than the rest, a wide open sandy area. If we are on a fence line, the corner of the fence, the open gates,etc, but I usually locate the set away from the fence, and create my own backing. Maybe two pieces of dead wood. I like to pickup mowed grass and make a dirt hole in a clump of dead mowed grass. I think the fox or yote thinks he is going to find mice in there. That set works great for me. I also agree with Fishermann about trap placement. I always set the trap with the dog towards the hole, at about 10 o'clock.

I think I would leave the dead grass off the traps. Its ok to have fresh dirt exposed. I think the critters are thinking thier buddy has buried something in the dirt hole, and he going to steal it from them.

Give it a try, and let us know how it works out.

Quote:

Quote:

All who have posted. I have to say, what an excellent idea to start this forum. I do not trap and probably never will, but I am addicted to this. If I were thinking about getting started trapping, this forum would sell me in a second. The pictures and stories will keep me coming back everyday. Good luck to all the trappers, keep up the great work!!

I hear ya!! I did trap when I was younger and it was full of adventure. Reading the posts between Leechman and Fisherman makes me jealous. I probably will never trap again but it was a fun run

Thanks guys, you really helped me out. I had my wife read what you said. She thinks I'm addicted to this HSOforum. I told her that trappers like to talk trapping with trappers. You guys backed me up. Now she thinks the whole bunch of us are goofy.

I will say that I've always liked to trap. When my son was 4, I used to carry him in the woods in the pack basket. On the way out, he would have to share the basket with a couple of beavers. Now he's 15 and enjoys not only the trapping, but the time we spend together in the fur shed. I can't think of a better way to spend time off from work, than with your son, teaching him what you have learned over the last 30 years.

Young Gun,

It's been years since I set a trap and you are getting good information from these guys. Your sets look good but, from the angle of the camera, it appears to me that you might have too much cover over the traps, (for their size). The traps look like they might be too small to jump through all the grass when a predator steps on the trigger. You might want to try to just "sift" some chaff over the dirt from a foot or two about the dirt covering and just enough of it to blend in the fresh dirt covering, or go to a bigger trap.

Also, if you're are going to place a bait like in your first set, definitely cover it up so raptor birds can't see it (it's the law) and you might want to attach it to the sappling with small diameter trapping wire so the predator has to work harder at removing it, increasing your chances of it stepping on the trap. The dirt hole set takes care of this problem for you.

Another thing that is really important is to not get any bait or lure scent on your trap itself or the dirt covering it or even the dirt under the trap since fox and coyotes will use their nose to push the dirt around to find source of the odor and set off the trap with their nose. I used to use separate gloves to handle the traps and another pair to handle the bait and lure. I just used the cheap white cotton gloves and threw them away when they got too messy. I didn't know they did this until I raised some foxes in pens and watched them try to bury their food in the wire mesh the bottom of the pen was made out of. I learned a lot about fox behavior watching those foxes!

Another reason that you want to make your sets in the open is that the canine nose is so good, no matter what you do to keep your scent to a minimum, they will know your were there. With the set in the open where they can see and be confident, they will approach it. If they think they are going to be attacked, they will not approach. Remember, they are trying to steal the food that some other predator has cached there so they are on high alert! If they can see around them, they will be more confident in approaching the bait.

Keep trying! They are not as smart as you! They just have a few better senses! Once you catch that first one, the next one comes easier!

Hey leechman, How are you doing? It has been many years since I have seen you last, of course I was a kid. Glad to see you are still at the trapping and glad you finally was able to make the move to PR. You used to trap with my dad 20 years ago up in Aggisiz and around PR and many a nights in dad's shed skinning beaver. I see you still flesh them. We never got into that, too many and too time consuming, just skin and sell green. Dad and I sold the traps after I went to college, his hands and knees where about shot, he's has new knee's now. Reading your posts makes me want to get back to PR and back to those prime areas that I know are still full of beaver and with the rat prices, holy smokes don't you wish you got them prices when you and dad trapped up in TRF. I may just have to pick up a few traps and try for the kittys and fisher with them being so common in the PR area now, I see them all the time now. Well good luck and keep the stories coming.

GerrySchoolcraft

Really nice thread you guys have going here....I just successfully burned one hour at work by reading all of it. I trap coons like a mad man in the early season, but now have no time to get any leg hold sets out. I'd love to get rid of a few yotes around my house.

I've got a pond on some land I have access to that is being used very heavily by beavers...I've never trapped a beaver before, but I would love to start. Is it easier to get them through the ice now, or wait till spring when the ice comes off?

Good thread guys...keep it going. Fisherman22 - I used to live in AK...your pics are making me homesick for it....those furs are just fantastic that you've got.

Hey Gerry,it's good to hear from you. I see your dad around town once in a while, but not very often. Yeah, I continued to trap long after your dad and I had trapped together. In fact, I bought your dads leg hold traps from him when he had to quit. I still use those traps today, I have just resprung them a few times. Back in the Agazi refuge days, when we caught 49 mink that year, we got $63.00 for the males, from the local fur buyer. Those were the good old days. Did you see the picture of the bobcats, Ryan and I caught? Do you get home very often? Say hi to your dad for me. Take Care.

It is easier to wait until spring just so you don't have to chisel through the non-snow covered very thick ice. But, the beaver hides are about perfect right now, as far as being prime. If you have an active hut, the hot runs still won't have more than three or four inches of ice on them. If it were me, I'd get after them.

Hey Fishermann, my trap line has slowed down to a crawl. I tried to set up three beaver ponds the other day, but was unsucessful. We are dealing with extremely low water in the ponds, along with no snow, and very thick ice. On top of that, the water in the ponds has gone down even lower, after the ice had froze, leaving a gap between the ice and water. In some places the ice has collapsed. Yesterday, I found a spot where a beaver was coming out of one of the cracks and going up onto land to get some food. He had stored no food below the ice. I was unable to trap it, because there was only an inch of water where the crack was. I didn't want to catch the beaver and have him freeze half in the water and half out, where the timber wolves could get him. So I passed.

Now today the temp dropped to 10 below, and we got just a scift of snow. We need 8-10 inches of snow to get things going again. Then I could hang some snares.

I did get the freezer cleaned out, and all the fur has been put up. We are ready to ship 3 cats, 2 reds fox, 1 grey fox, 5 rats, 50 sum beavers and a coyote this time around. I wonder if they would let me post a picture of all the fur put up.

Our final tally was 12 bobcats and 6 fishers that are going up to Canada soon. The fishers were very unsual this year and I have no answer for our drop in the catch of them from last year which was 12. Overall, it was our best year to date on cats usually around 10 but should have filled out this year, had three kitties that left some toes for souviniers. Oh well more stock for next year. The otters got a break this year, with only 4 accidentals in mink traps, as we can't see banging their numbers up for 40-60 dollar prices! After this cold snap we'll have to break out the beaver traps and stoploss on some rats. Good luck...

Well the traps were empty again tonight. So heres a first. We punched in two more traps. We used an ice chisle to dig the dirt hole. Then we pounded on the 30 inch stakes, seemed like forever until we broke through the frost.Now we have something new to look forward to tomorrow.

Young gun, are you having any luck?

Leechman I took all my traps out tonight and am calling it quits for the year. I learned alot this year so next year should be alot better. I ended up with 5 coons, 2 cats,and 1 skunk. Thanks for all the help. I have a feeling next year will bring some coyotes. grin.gif

Well good for you, Young Gun. This time of year, things get kind of tuff. I've gone 5 days without a catch. Finally, I at least caught a nice beaver tonight. I've got a Bobcat coming through, that I don't want to catch, and several coyotes giving me the slip. I'm going to out wait them. Good luck to you next year, Take Care

Yesterday when i went to dig out I had one fox that had dug and got caught by a burried trap. Today I made the check and had 2 more. about 20 of my sets had tracks all over where the pan was but it was under a foot of snow because the powder is still blowing around. I have a photo of one of the fox today i will post it in a bit.

One of the males today was a bit rubbed already mad.gif I sure hope they are not all going to be like that already or I will have to quit trapping earlier than last year frown.gif

Nice job Fishermann. At least your still getting into the fur. I got blanked today, but I have to say, I put two new sets in, on land I haven't trapped for three years. There was sign everywhere. I'm pretty sure I won't be able to sleep. Good luck tomorrow, hope I can show you a picture or two. Take care.

Great post you guys have going. I am starting to think trappers are the nicest people on earth with all the help you give each other. Anywho, I am not a trapper, but I am enjoying this forum a lot. This maybe a stupid question, but how do you kill the animals when you come upon them? Just curious! Keep the sweet pics coming

Great pic leechman, I love seeing the kids on the line. As I suspected I did not connect last night, traps were burried or uncovered by the blizzard. Today it is 32.4 degrees wieth soft wet sticky snow blowing. So I again did not reset. This weather is a REAL killer lately. I have class tomorrow night and then friday night I will be headed to the south side for two days of camping/setting traps for white fox. Hopefully it goes well. My red line up here will go a bit dormant except for during the week.

Glad you guys enjoy the posts. It is good to hear that so we know we are not just talking to eachother smile.gif

There are many ways to kill animals in traps. I am not going to get into them all. I will say the fastest way is a .22 short between and slightly above the eyes. I wash all my hides in the washer so the blood does not bother me at all.

If you want to save the skull, and on some animals it is very important to do that, then a .22 short right behind the front shoulder.