• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Trapping- What did you catch today?

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since it still hasn't snowed here yet, I should get some coyote sets out. But yes, I'm done and looking forward to next year. I LOVE trapping!!! I just wish I didn't have to go to work so I could trap full time. A few more critters.

[Note from admin: Clean, Natural environment pics only please.]

fox001.jpgfox002.jpg

Heres a fox I just caught this evening. Two or three days ago, I posted a picture of a remake dirt hole set. Thats where I caught this male fox tonight.

Fishermann, I'm only 43 fox behind you. Oh yeah, this week!

I've got two traps working, and I've gotten two fox in three days, so if I catch,......., never mind. I'm thinking tomorrow I need to put more traps out. Good Luck everyone.

Keep it up Leechman, those are some GREAT foot catches on those fox. Do you laminate your traps?

I had a slow day but could only check half my traps, we don't have a 24hour check law in Alaska. I had one small female.

They were herding reindeer, which means fresh bait the next few days. Here are a few pics of the reindeer herd. The ones with the large antlers are steers, small antlers are cows, and bulls don't have any right now.

IMG_0511.jpg

IMG_0512.jpg

IMG_0513.jpg

IMG_0514.jpg

Did I miss something here? Do the images of furbearers posted on this thread have to be in a trap and breathing to be allowed to be posted by me? I am quite proud of the animals I harvest whether they are photographed in their natural setting or on the floor of the fur shed waiting to be put up. It appears that others would like to see them also, inspite of their surroundings - on the floor of a trailer or on the floor of my fur shed. What's the difference? tuk confused.gif

Those are awesome pictures of the reindeer. Wow. Are they wild and hang around because they feed them, or are they tame. What do they feed them? Are the calves running with them too? Thats quite a place you live. Think of the stories you can tell 30 years from now. Just plain awesome!!

How many are in that herd?How many do they butcher at a time. What percentage of the herd you they kill in a year.Do they do any seal hunting and fishing? Do you get in on any of that. Are the native people real friendly to you?

that herd there was about 100-150 animals. there are about 5000 on the island. They kill about 1000 a year or so. They butcher about 50-60 at a time. they will only take so many cows and steers out of a herd and then they push it out and go herding for a different herd. They have to be carefull about how many cows they take out of any one herd.

Seal hunting is HUGE come march and april. Walrus hunting also. I have been along to observe a seal hunt, and I will go with to observe a walrus hunt and video it this spring. I can not partake in any part of the hunt, that includes glassing, driving, spearing, shooting, butchering, lifting. I can just video and take photos.

The history channel is wanting to get a walrus hunt for their archives so some people here are working with them to get it put together, if that is the case it will be a really cool deal.

The native people are GREAT to me. THey respect the fact that I hunt, fish and trap. If you like the ourdoors they get along with you great, as long as you respect the land. I also give ALOT of salmon, ducks, and geese to the elders, which helps alot.

Fishing is great, salmon with a net and rod and reel, halibut commercial fishing and fishing for fun smile.gif fills the freezer.

Quote:

Did I miss something here? Do the images of furbearers posted on this thread have to be in a trap and breathing to be allowed to be posted by me? I am quite proud of the animals I harvest whether they are photographed in their natural setting or on the floor of the fur shed waiting to be put up. It appears that others would like to see them also, inspite of their surroundings - on the floor of a trailer or on the floor of my fur shed. What's the difference? tuk
confused.gif

I guess we are supposed to pretend that hunting, fishing, and trapping does not result in the death of an animal. Gotta keep PETA happy, ya know

That is way cool stuff,

Question on the reindeer...when you say "steer" I automatically think of a bull that has been castrated, as in the cattle industry. I know this is a wild herd of reindeer, I was wondering if steer meant the same thing in that context or if it means something totally different. If it is the same why do they castrate them?

PS love the pics so far!

Fishermann, what kind of ducks do you see up there? Do you hunt them over decoys on land or in the water? Do you use steel shot up there? When do the ducks get up there in the spring, and when does the duck hunting season start. Approximately when does the ice break up so they can get out fishing?

Fisherman's Pic with the reindeer head reminds me of when I was a kid and we found a deer carcass in the woods. As we were walking a way a fox zipped out of the woods and started feeding on it. We walked back to it and the fox ran away but not far. It went back as soon as we walked away. So we went home to get some traps and set by it and waited. the fox never returned so we left and came back the next morn and it was caught. It looked so sad that we released it

On the island we get some pintails, a few mallards, all three kinds of eiders, some puffins, white fronted geese, brant geese, cackling geese and once in a while a canadian goose. We also get tundra swans and cranes.

On the mainland they get all the same kind of ducks you get down there. It is the best duck hunting in the world. I hunt over decoys in the fall, and decoys in the spring. Fall is over water, spring is on the ice around open leads of water. Steel shot is a must. Ducks get here as soon as they can find some water to sit in. The duck season is open year round for subsistance, except for a 60 day closure for nesting. I usually hunt drakes in the spring for one weekend, we shoot or try to shoot only drakes. THen in the fall we start hunting about Sept. 1st until freezeup. The pack ice will go away about end of april, fishing does not really start until June.

Back here in MN, we've all been praying for a little winter... It'll be OK with me if winter stops a liitle short of your current conditions for us.

Thanks for all the very interesting pics, commentary, and insight into a whole different world.

~T

Leechmann....do you get many grinners in your fox sets up there? About the time I hung up my traps, another trapping aquaintence of mine, Dennis R., who ran alot of the same area that I did, said he was getting more Possum, then fox and skunks combined. The area was north and west of the metro, up to the Elk River area to the north and out to beyond Corcoran to the west.

I've seen them things dead on the road all the way up to Mille Lacs lake.

How about mange? It seemed at about the same time, every second fox I caught had mange in one stage, or another. I still see fox once in awhile that still have it. Pathetic looking, what a way to die!

Quote:

I caught a ton of grinners this season. Couldn't keep them out of my coon sets
mad.gif

P1010082.jpg

Man I hate those things!

Fishermann222,

Looks like winter is starting to kick in there. Awsome pictures guys. How close did you get to the reindeer? laugh.gif