• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Trapping- What did you catch today?

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Was cold on the line today, 20 below. I had 3 fox, all nice big males. I got photos of two of them before the camera quit working. Both photos are pretty neat I think

This first one the fox was a real talker. (the blood in the photo is from the reindeer head I use for bait)

IMG_0486.jpg

This I thought was a pretty cool photo also, it was a really relaxed fox.

IMG_0484.jpg

I had 4 more reds today. I have photos of three if you want to see them, I have posted so many I don't want to get repetative. The 4th fox was runover by a snowmobile and cut in half. I reported it to the Alaska State Troopers and emailed them photos. Now I just have to hope they come out to investigate, which I doubt. Really makes me ill to see that.

Thats too bad. Seems like no matter where you live there is a certain percentage of people who just don't get it. One of the things I've done to try to get away from incidences like that, is that I, along with several other people have leased 2600 acres of land, from the polatch corp. Of all the people in the lease, I am the one of two people who trap. Thinking that I had my own little chunck of land, it never entered my mind, that someone would have access to my beaver traps that were set on a pond which was located half on our lease land and half off. So I went to check my traps about a week ago, and they had chopped my traps out of the ice and stole a beaver from me. I was just shocked that they didn't steal my traps too.

As far as being tuff on the Alaska State Troopers, be nice, thats what I do for a living. Good thing we do just traffic, I think I would be to hard on the trap thieves.

Hey go ahead and post the pictures. I don't think I'd ever get tired of looking at trapping pictures. Seems like your getting 3 or 4 a day. Is that about your average, or are you on a lucky streak. What do you expect the fox will bring? The red fox down here are bringing about $25.00 to $30.00. Although I don't know how you could compare the alaska fox to the MN fox. Your fox are so full.

I was not being hard on the troopers, I get along with them all REAL well. As a matter of fact I fox hunt with a few of them once in a while when they are out. The reason they won't make it out right now is there is a 20 day winter moose season open on the lower yukon right now and all for troopers in the area are up there enforcing that right now. They are GREAT guys and do a GREAT job.

I average about 40 bucks a piece for my fox. It is amazing it is not more because they are some of the best and biggest reds in the world.

here are some pics since you want them This first one shows the Bering Sea Pack ice in the background.

IMG_0488.jpg

IMG_0490.jpg

IMG_0491.jpg

I haven't trapped in a number of years now, but fox used to be my specialty...I still like seeing photos of other trappers catches.

Even though I don't trap now, I still have my beam, fur handling equipment, a few stretchers, a few dozen traps, (I had about 500 at the top of my game) hog noose and a bunch of other stuff...ya never know, maybe one day? I still subscribe to FFG and I still watch for tracks and sign, whenever I'am out and about. Keep the pics comming.

I used to trap at one time. Beaver, mink, muskrat, fox, you name it. I never had stretchers as I always sold my animals in the round. I tried skinning my first beaver at 14 and I think we only got some money from it because the pelt buyer felt sorry for us. It is neat to run into people that still do it

This clear cold high pressure we are in right now is GREAT for trapping conditions, clear and calm winds keeps the sets working well. I had 5 reds today. I just have photos of two of them.

IMG_0495.jpg

IMG_0498.jpg

And this is a new spot I found today, lots of activity on this point overlooking the sea. I crawled down and put in 4 sets, I hope I connect tomorrow.

IMG_0496.jpg

I used to like handling the pelts...not so much the beaver, but I used to like to see how fast and how well I could flesh out a coon....got pretty good with the draw knife! Wasn't much to the fox, mink, or rats, sometimes I would work over a skunk, not to often though, wife didn't care for the lingering smell.

I wasn't to put off by the skunk smell, I think a badgers is more nasty smelling...not as strong but more nausiating....a weasel is pretty nasty also.

Had 4 more reds waiting for me this morning. One was pretty small and scraggly, but 3 were nice.

IMG_0506.jpg

Leechman the camera battery went dead FAST in the cold today, here is a photo of one of my remakes, its not the snowhole set, but it is another set I use as a remake after I get one in the snowhole.

IMG_0505.jpg

Good for you fishermann. You continue to pile them up. I hope I can gear up come tuesday, my first day off from work. I've have three people ask me to come trap the beavers off of thier ponds, and two other want the yotes removed. I've got to say Fishermann, your putting the pressure on me, but I like to be pushed. Good luck tomorrow. Oh yeah, thanks for the pic of the remake.

I started trapping this year after being away from it for 34 years! A good friend of mine who's lived up here all his life and trapped for 45 years invited me to trap with him this year. We started with beaver to get some fisher and martin bait. The last week he's concentrated on beaver and I on rats and mink. We aren't into it big at all as we both have other jobs and stuff going on and didn't trap for a couple weeks over Christmas. I only run about 20 traps and I'm not sure how many beaver sets he has out now.

It is fun to get back to again and also very interesting after being away from it that long.

Here are some observations made over the last few weeks. Seems like a LOT more work than it was before. After 3 weeks of sore everything I'm starting to get back to a pace that is still considerably less than that of a teen. It's harder to remember where they all are, what's been moved, etc. Can still remember productive sets though! I haven't resorted to GPS yet but will next year with fisher and marten trapping. There was no wheeler before so that's made things easier and faster. So far the total is 21 beaver, 3 fisher, 3 marten, 6 weasels, 35 rats. Trapping only mink and muskrats in high school and college, I never used a 120 Coni so never dealt with spring keepers before. First mink set last week I forgot to take the keepers off so made a mink grin.gif That was a little frustrating mad.gif

All in all it's been fun and a learning experience again as well as great excersize. Trust me the excersize piece wasn't high on the list 34 years ago.

Hey thanks for joining in guys. Sounds like your getting into the swing of things uffda. Keep it up, show us some pictures of your catch. Tip up King, are you still trapping or are you getting ready for next year.