• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Parralel limb or long axle length?

96trigger

I wasnt aware that accuracy can suffer from having a short axle to axle length. I'm looking for a good short axle bow, preferrably parralel limb. I'd love to shoot a shorter axle bow, but don't want to give up accuracy. What are some or your expert thoughts on this?

How short are you talkin? If you go with short axle make sure you got 7" of brace height. Other than that, make sure your draw lenght is correct and your form is good. And certainly make sure the bow you get has a grip that fits your hand well. Later.

take a look at the Archery Research bows. The AR 31 is compact, light and fast. Parallel limbs, yet very little hand shock or vibration.

The accuracy issue is a matter of stability. Think of the tight rope walkers using a long balance bar. That image gives you an idea of the principle involved with stability/accuracy in a longer bow. The best way to overcome this with a shorter bow is lots of hours on the range.

What's your rationalle for wanting a short bow? I much prefer longer bows- they offer more forgiveness for less than perfect form. All other things being equal, longer bows are more forgiving and more accurate (someone will take issue with this statement, but trust me on this). The specific riser/limbs you have will also impact how forgiving your bow is. Forgiveness of less than perfect form is a big deal to me- even if your form is really good on the range, I don't think many people can maintain that perfect form in the woods. Longer bows catch more tree limbs and other stuff in the woods, but for me that's not much of an issue- I'm either hiking in big country out West or I'm walking out to my tree stand. Neither one exactly requires a ninja to keep the bow out of a mess.

Suggestion- go and shoot the new Hoyt (Vectrix) and the two new Bowtechs (Guardian and Commander). They are absolutely incredible! Unbelievable! Infinitely better than anything else I've ever shot!!! In all honesty, I'm not kidding here. Smooth, quiet, fast, and essentiall no hand shock- incredible. The '06 Hoyts were really good (IMO), but the bows mentioned above are ridiculous. Shoot them, get the one you're comfortable with- you'll be happy as a pig in poo.

I guess, I have a bow that was fairly long and I dont like it. I shoot from ladder stands, sometimes when I draw, depending on the angle, the bow will hit the rail. I hunt in bluff country where there are alot of angles.

I'm lucky enough to live in the country and getting to the range behind my house shouldn't be a problem. The guy at Cab's also mentioned the forgiveness. I guess I'm just not sure how much forgiveness I need, maybe I should ask my wife grin.gif.

I was told that the short bows will still be quite accurate with 30-40 yards, but beyond that they can be eratic. I haven't taken a shot over 30 yards in 10 years of bow hunting, even though I'm consistent out to 40. I like to shoot them when they are close. Thanks for the info. I really like the looks of the Fred Bear instinct, but it has about a 32" axle to axle.

something to think about too. if you are a finger shooter. i would shoot the bow you're interested in a few times to check for finger pinch. if you shoot a release you should have no problems. also with the shorter bows, a good stabilizer is a geat thing to have! grin.gif

I haven't shot the Instinct, so I can't comment specifically on it. For me 32" would be half a foot short. However, I hear what you're saying and it sounds like you've got good reasons to switch to something shorter. My suggestion, given what you said, would be to go shorter, but to stay as long as you can (still talking about bows here grin.gif).

As far as at what yardages a shorter bow will be less accurate at- there's no magic number. Longer shots will show flaws in equipment, form, etc. more than shorter ones. 20 will look worse than 10, 30 worse than 20, 40 worse than 30, etc. This difference will generally be exaggerated as you get to longer distances- if you're shooting softball sized groups at 20 yards you might be shooting basketball sized groups at 40 yards and car door sized groups at 60 yards.

Given what you described, I wouldn't be afraid to give something shorter and new a shot. It's not like it's a once in a lifetime deal with buying a new bow. If you get a decent deal on the bow you can likely turn it around for even or slightly less money, so you're not out much cash.

Lastly, before you buy be sure to shoot lots of bows in archery shops- that'll help you a lot. Good luck.

before you buy a bow with a short Axel to Axel... shoot it with a peep in it. I cant shoot a short bow... I am a bit tall(6'3")but was born with monkey arms 31.5" draw length... If I shoot a short bow the peep sight is about 10" from my face and is almost impossible to see through...

Quote:

Quote:

I am a bit tall(6'3")but was born with monkey arms

That explains a lot... grin.gif Finally, the missing link found! cool.gif

LOL!

DD, your knuckles don't drag on the ground when you walk, do they? grin.gif (Sorry, can't help myself!)

Actually, monkey arms are a nice advantage for archers. Long arms equates to longer draw lengths which equates to faster arrows and less drop over greater distances. DD, with arms that long you must be flinging arrows out at about 983 fps, huh?

I shoot a 2003 Bowtech Tech29 and it's ATA is about 29". I bought it for the same reason you are looking. I was tired of bumping into stuff at full draw. I am not so sure about accuracy issues with a short axle bow. I can shoot mine out to 40yds no problem. My bow also has a short brace height and I don't have an issue with that either. If I were you I would go and shoot one before you buy. Then you would know for sure.