• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Gophers recent success

buzzsaw

Buzz....

On Thanksgiving I was giving a 9 yr old some dump about his team from ND. He was a good sport about it, let me get my ribbin' in, then said four words that shut my piehole right up.

"What about Holy Cross?" smirk.gif

Not flamed, TORCHED! shocked.gif

It could have been a little payback for my last prank on them, both him and his cousin along with their mothers came down and visited us shortly after the Gophs won the back to back championships. I picked up a couple of t-shirts at CUB that proclaimed those titles and gave it to the youngins to wear back up to Grand Forks. Best $20 I ever spent at the grocery store. grin.gif

They were to young to know that they'd been punked (the dads were the true target), those t-shirts found the way to the garage rag pile seconds after they got home and their dads saw them. cool.gif

Team USA (juniors) announced.

December 5, 2006

USA Hockey Annouces 2007 World Junior Championship Roster

Eight returnees from the team that finished fourth at the 2006 IIHF World Junior Championship highlight the 22-man U.S. roster for the 2007 WJC that begins in Sweden later this month.

The returnees include four defensemen – Minnesota's Erik Johnson, Michigan's Jack Johnson, and North Dakota's Taylor Chorney and Brian Lee. Lee is appearing in his third World Junior Championship. He was also member of the 2005 U.S. team that finished fourth in Grand Forks, N.D.

Three forwards who played for the U.S. team in Vancouver last year are back for another shot at a medal. They are Boston College's Nathan Gerbe, Wisconsin's Jack Skille, and Peter Mueller, the former Minnesota recruit who now plays for the Western Hockey League's Everett Silvertips. Also returning is Minnesota goaltender Jeff Frazee, who backed up BC's Cory Schneider a year ago.

Top-ranked Minnesota is represented by five players – Frazee, Erik Johnson, and forwards Mike Carman, Kyle Okposo, and Ryan Stoa. The only other teams with more than one player on the U.S. roster are Wisconsin (Skille, Blake Geoffrion, Jamie McBain) and North Dakota (Chorney and Lee).

The 2007 World Junior Championship begins Tuesday, Dec. 26 in Mora and Leksand, Sweden. The U.S. team opens pool play against Germany.

The complete 2007 U.S. World Junior Championship roster:

No. Player Pos. Hometown (Current Team)

2 Kyle Lawson D New Hudson, Mich. (Notre Dame)

3 Jack Johnson D Ann Arbor, Mich. (Michigan)

4 Taylor Chorney D Hastings, Minn. (North Dakota)

5 Blake Geoffrion F Brentwood, Tenn. (Wisconsin)

6 Erik Johnson D Bloomington, Minn. (Minnesota)

8 Kyle Okposo F St. Paul, Minn. (Minnesota)

9 Nate Gerbe F Oxford, Mich. (Boston College)

11 Jim Fraser F Port Huron, Mich. (Harvard)

12 James vanRiemsdyk F Middletown, N.J. (U.S. Under-18 Team)

16 Mike Carman F Apple Valley, Minn. (Minnesota)

17 Jamie McBain D Faribault, Minn. (Wisconsin)

18 Justin Abdelkader F Muskegon, Mich. (Michigan State)

19 Ryan Stoa F Bloomington, Minn. (Minnesota)

20 Jack Skille F Madison, Wis. (Wisconsin)

21 Bill Sweatt F Elburn, Ill. (Colorado College)

22 Brian Lee D Moorhead, Minn. (North Dakota)

23 Sean Zimmerman D Denver, Colo. (Spokane Chiefs)

24 Trevor Lewis F Murray, Utah (Owen Sound Attack)

27 Patrick Kane F Buffalo, N.Y. (London Knights)

30 Jeff Frazee G Burnsville, Minn. (Minnesota)

37 Jeff Zatkoff G Chesterfield, Mich. (Miami)

88 Peter Mueller F Bloomington, Minn. (Everett Silvertips)

December 5, 2006

Sum- I assume your talking about the two ND boys that grew up playing all of their hockey across the river in Minnesota and Vanek. That’s a good call Sum… My bad. I’m sure the other 21 Minnesota boys on those teams didn’t have anything to do with winning those championships. You also have to remember that Irman was injured 80% of those seasons, but I’ll give you that one.

My gopher knowledge is probably a bit off, but didn't Irmen come in after the 2 Nat Champ titles.

In my opinion Grant Potulny was the real key. He'd be on my short list of guys to pick, if My team need a big goal in a big game. I'm not a gopher fan in the slightest, but I really liked watching him play. I also liked watching Ballard, Martin, and Leopold. Pretty tough to find many faults in their game.

I've got to break up this Gopher Love fest though, and put a blurb up about Badger doing pretty solid in the Show. Pavelski got called up into action due to team injuries, and is doing pretty well for a rook. Congrats. I know I'd sure like to see him still in a red sweater this year. I'm sure he'd help out Bucky's scoring woes.

Quote:

Quote:

look at all the non Minnesotans we have now....

couldn't tell if that was sarcastic or not... Briggs is the only non-Minnesotan on the team (CO).

It was totally sarcastic.

We don't need any non Minnesota Kids we never have we never will.

So because we have one non Minnesota kid our coaches are smarter then previous coaches.......thats pretty funny...

Let's bash Woog then oh wait his teams were 1st or 2nd in the toughest conference in the country for NINE straight years.......man he should been down in Florida recruiting.... grin.gif

obviously if you look at wins, you could make the case that woog was the greatest gopher coah of all time. That being said, his ways and strategy were getting antiquated in a league that was changing. I think Lucia fit the bill perfectly and adapted to the current style of play in the WCHA. Change was defintely necessary after a few stagnant seasons in the late 90s. I remember Woog's teams being gritty, balancing skill and strength. Lucia seems to favor faster, more agile and crafty players, and as a result the team is full of great passers, skaters and playmakers. I think this year's team is a shining example of that. If you look at the bench, Stoa and Peltier are their heavy hitters. Not saying they aren't tough, but they are definelty not the toughest in the league. I remember when the wooger would send out his third and fourth lines, and bodies would be strewn all over the ice, especially against North Dakota. After all of the letdowns of woogs teams in the NCAAs, I think I prefer Lucia's style of coaching, and his effectiveness at bringing home national championships.

Go Gophers!

Quote:

So because we have one non Minnesota kid our coaches are smarter then previous coaches.......thats pretty funny...

Pier, open your eyes mah boy, we wouldn't have won Nat'l championships with out the Potulnys or Vaneks... it wasn't this year, it's all the years that Lucia has been running the show.... I hope that spells it out for you... you seem confused or cornfused... one or the other. blush.gif

Yeah we should have had some 22 year old Canadian freshem lead us to the title maybe if we did we would not have missed TWO open nets and hit the post in overtime of the national championship game.....LOL

Don't kid yourself those were Woogs seniors that Won the first National Champioship that Lucy gets credit for.

Good to see all that outstate recruiting is helping the program so much these days......LOL.... grin.gif